Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this update a week or so ago (mid Jan 2023). It did some nice things with the heater, etc, and maybe it is me, but I now have three problems.

1. the "Phone" button on my steering wheel no longer works. It does not do anything. Using the screen I can get to all the phone functions just fine. The steering wheel button is nada.
2. the "access" set of buttons disappeared. I have checked every setting I can get and I cannot find any button to open/close the rear hatch. Using the FOB works as does the rear kick. No button on the large screen.
3. the ability to sort the phone address/phone book by last name disappeared.

I fully realize that it may be my degraded ability to find sh_t. But I have looked and I can't find these. Can anyone shed light on my plight?

· Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
482 Posts
First, reboot Sync. Hold down the volume and right seek buttons for 10 seconds.

If you got 4.1.1, nothing moved. If you got 4.1.2, hit the middle icon of the 3 on the top left, and you'll see the hatch button on the top far right.

I don't use the address book features, sorry.

· Premium Member
2022 GT, Red-metallic
102 Posts
I haven't seen either of these updates yet. Do you know if everyone should be receiving them at the same time?
Last one I got was 3.5.4
I have my updates on Auto with a midnight schedule every day of the week.

· Registered
482 Posts
I haven't seen either of these updates yet. Do you know if everyone should be receiving them at the same time?
Last one I got was 3.5.4
They are sent out in batches. The schedule is to apply updates that require the car to be immobile, nothing more. Updates set to Automatic takes care of getting them when they are queued up for your car.

I just got my car inspected. They did all the updates. Go into a dealer?
In fact, they didn't. Dealers don't get paid by Ford to apply updates unless it's to fix something, or a recall. So while they may have applied SOME to the car to fix an issue, they didn't update every module, and in fact can't do Powerups because those are OTA only. A new user interface is 4.1.2, that's the most current. Most people should see that come soon if they haven't gotten it already.

· Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
488 Posts
Last one I got was 3.5.4
I don't know if this still applies but Ford said not to set schedule to midnight. A few minutes before or after was ok.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Different cars get OTAs on a different schedule. Don't know why. One of the mysteries of Fordlandsoftwareupdates. There certainly is logic to it, but that logic is not known to us cretins.

Based on my many years in the computer business: What OTA you get may also depend on previous OTAs. Most OTAs update several software modules, not just one. Each updated software module has to go through a bit of a process after it is downloaded to your car. That process does many things such as verifying the download was complete, linking it to the right stuff, changing pointers so that the new software is used rather than the old, etc. So if a portion of a previous OTA didn't install correctly for some reason, that may preclude you getting some or all of a next OTA. It could, I say COULD, put the car in a "hold" state, not accepting any more OTAs until the last OTA issue is fixed. To keep piling on updates when one didn't take correctly would be a recipe for disaster.

I would surmise that the vast majority of the OTAs are automated and happen without much human interaction (once the software is tested and certified being ready for an OTA). But there are most certainly some "problem children" where something didn't go exactly as planned that need a human to figure out what to do next. My guess is that this happens in the background and we never see it.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, reboot Sync. Hold down the volume and right seek buttons for 10 seconds.

If you got 4.1.1, nothing moved. If you got 4.1.2, hit the middle icon of the 3 on the top left, and you'll see the hatch button on the top far right.

I don't use the address book features, sorry.
I think I must have got 4.1.2 and didn't realize it. Stuff moved all over and the user interface is different. I did the Sync reboot and the hatch button is now there.

None of the other problems are fixed (that I know of).

Thanks Bud,

· Premium Member
2022 GT, Red-metallic
102 Posts
Previous updates were fine, so no problems there and no errors since. Never heard of the midnight taboo, but what the heck, changed it to 12:05am. Maybe tonight...
I hope the hatch button will be moved to a convenient place (was on my list of things to be improved).

· Registered
482 Posts
Previous updates were fine, so no problems there and no errors since. Never heard of the midnight taboo, but what the heck, changed it to 12:05am. Maybe tonight...
I hope the hatch button will be moved to a convenient place (was on my list of things to be improved).
Changing the schedule will do nothing for this update.

Setting automatic updates on gets updates when they are queued up for your car.

Setting a schedule is specifically for the application of any update that requires the car to be immobile for a period of time, which 4.1.2 does not.

· Registered
68 Posts
My last up
Last one I got was 3.5.4
Hmm, lost something while posting. I said my last update was 3.62. If some are on 4.12, I wonder how many am I missing? I got 3.62 just a week or so ago.

· Registered
618 Posts
My last up

Hmm, lost something while posting. I said my last update was 3.62. If some are on 4.12, I wonder how many am I missing? I got 3.62 just a week or so ago.
My Premium AWD EX received OTA 4.1.1 (Jan 11) right after 3.6.2 so maybe you will get 4.1.1 soon. 4.1.1 is the update to allow entry into the car during non-drivable updates.

· Registered
618 Posts
My Premium AWD EX received OTA 4.1.1 (Jan 11) right after 3.6.2 so maybe you will get 4.1.1 soon. 4.1.1 is the update to allow entry into the car during non-drivable updates.
4.1.2 arrived today. Sync screens changed, setting and controls are combined. Changing temp, seats and fan speed now available from big dial. Status bar icons changed, camera button on main bar, profile icon now on upper right and more.

· Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
8 Posts
Ha! I have you all beat! I just got 2.7.3 2 days ago. That was my first OTA in 6 months. 1 week ago I had it at the dealer for battery contactor recall sw upgrade and HVAC CSP upgrade. Maybe the dealer visit jogged something free with the OTA's. Who knows. I do have auto updates turned on and a schedule set as well. Who knows what really is happening in Ford sw update land!!!

· Registered
2021, Premium, AWD, Shadow Black
161 Posts
They are sent out in batches. The schedule is to apply updates that require the car to be immobile, nothing more. Updates set to Automatic takes care of getting them when they are queued up for your car.

In fact, they didn't. Dealers don't get paid by Ford to apply updates unless it's to fix something, or a recall. So while they may have applied SOME to the car to fix an issue, they didn't update every module, and in fact can't do Powerups because those are OTA only. A new user interface is 4.1.2, that's the most current. Most people should see that come soon if they haven't gotten it already.
Thanks for the alert...

· Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
210 Posts
Ha! I have you all beat! I just got 2.7.3 2 days ago. That was my first OTA in 6 months. 1 week ago I had it at the dealer for battery contactor recall sw upgrade and HVAC CSP upgrade. Maybe the dealer visit jogged something free with the OTA's. Who knows. I do have auto updates turned on and a schedule set as well. Who knows what really is happening in Ford sw update land!!!
Well updates are apparently sent out to certain VINs but then if the car is unavailable for a week(?), and the update cannot be applied safely, I think it might stop trying. For an update to be safely applied there is evidence you need a strong signal of Wifi or AT&T cellular (and early updates seemed to only come via AT&T cellular) AS WELL AS a high voltage level in your 12V battery. Makes sense one would not want to have an update fail half-way through due to lost signal or 12V battery dies. Many folx early on reported that updates frequently came down when they were out for a drive (charges 12V battery) in an area with strong cellular coverage.

· Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
210 Posts
Is there any way to see the charge level of the 12v battery? It would be good to report that in FordPass. Alongside where they report the tire pressure. Thanks.
Best way is likely to buy a voltage multimeter ($10) and touch the battery jump points to check the 12V battery voltage.

I believe the data is available from the car regarding 12V battery charge level but it is not displayed in Ford Pass. There is/was a Ford Pass widget available that displayed that information from the car, the 12V battery voltage, but not sure if it's working these days. The fellow who wrote the cool little app and supported it for years(?) for free said this in late November of 2022 "Honestly i haven't even looked at it. I'm just burned out at the moment with trying to get it working." Ford started locking out user accounts where the user had installed 3rd party EV apps (there are more and more of them) that logged into their Ford Pass account frequently and pinged the Ford Pass servers many times a day/hour.

Ford Pass Widget info is on a competing site, Mache forum dot com, and I tried to post a link to the posts but the link kept failing. Then I remember that I believe the mache club blocks links to the mache forum, lol. If you are curious about the widget go to mache forum dot com and search for "FordPass Scriptable Widget v2022.02.18.0"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts