Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Phone as a Key feature left my wife stranded today while she was out. Around here its a 90 degree today. Not the kind of weather you want to be stuck outside with. It just stopped recognizing her PaaK out of the blue. We only have 1 car so I couldn't even go rescue her myself. Called both Ford Roadside Assistance and the local Ford dealer to see if they could get someone to help her out. Neither was of any use at all.

This really pisses me off. You cannot have a PAAK feature and not have it be 100% reliable! If Ford can't make it reliable then they should give me 2 fobs for my Mach-E instead. This kind of issue should be the #1 thing their software developers should be working on. Adding new features is worthless if I cant drive the car because the PaaK isn't a reliable feature.

I would love to raise this complaint to someone at Ford but I can't figure out who to contact. If anyone has information for an email or phone # that I can to report this issue to Ford and my dissatisfaction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading my rant!!!
Mike

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
54 Posts
I cannot believe people think a feature involving cell phones would ever be 100% reliable. This is well known that it isn't.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The Phone as a Key feature left my wife stranded today while she was out. Around here its a 90 degree today. Not the kind of weather you want to be stuck outside with. It just stopped recognizing her PaaK out of the blue. We only have 1 car so I couldn't even go rescue her myself. Called both Ford Roadside Assistance and the local Ford dealer to see if they could get someone to help her out. Neither was of any use at all.

This really pisses me off. You cannot have a PAAK feature and not have it be 100% reliable! If Ford can't make it reliable then they should give me 2 fobs for my Mach-E instead. This kind of issue should be the #1 thing their software developers should be working on. Adding new features is worthless if I cant drive the car because the PaaK isn't a reliable feature.

I would love to raise this complaint to someone at Ford but I can't figure out who to contact. If anyone has information for an email or phone # that I can to report this issue to Ford and my dissatisfaction I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike
did she try entering the door access code? and then once inside she could've entered the start code which you should've been prompted to create when you set up PAAK, that's the whole purpose of having these access codes as a backup. .Had she had the codes she could've been on her way in a matter of minutes with no fuss or drama.

This is discussed on page 63 under setting up PAAK. in the manual.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Rant understood and maybe lesson learned to program PIN and password entry and start.
this whole back up start code seems to elude many people. I don't understand it, but if I were relying on a phone to ALWAYS work to operate my vehicle, I'd want to know what other options are available. I mean what if OPs wife had dropped her phone in the toilet. WIth the backup codes it wouldn't have mattered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look, if its not a reliable feature then they should at least tell you up front that "it's in beta" or "use at your own risk". The fact that they only provide one fob pretty much implies that they intend for people to use PaaK as a primary starting method. Unfortunately, we didnt have the other code written down apparently so that wasn't an option for her.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Look, if its not a reliable feature then they should at least tell you up front that "it's in beta" or "use at your own risk". The fact that they only provide one fob pretty much implies that they intend for people to use PaaK as a primary starting method. Unfortunately, we didnt have the other code written down apparently so that wasn't an option for her.
c'mon guy, NO phone based platform is guaranteed to function 100% all the time (and as mentioned what if you lose your phone), that was the whole reason behind the startup code and the door code. You're trying to blame ford for you not being prepared by having the code written down. I'm by no means a ford fanboy they've made more than their share of gaffs on this car. but in this case it's on you for not having the back up code available. Again page 63 of the manual. vehicle shouldn't leave your garage until you have the code, written down and anyone that operates the vehicle actually know how to do it. Also recommend having a copy of the manual in pdf on the phone for easy access as the online manual may or may not be available on fordpass when you need it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The Lock and Unlock icons on the home page of the Ford pass app should still unlock the car if PAAK fails. Once in the car the “Key” part of PAAK may still work. That's the way it happened when my PAAK failed. If you still get a No Key Detected message then your only option is to use the previously set up Access code or get someone to deliver the fob to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I got home from rescuing my wife I tried to delete and re-setup the PaaK for her phone. It simply would not finishing the pairing step and gave a failed to connect message after timing out. I tried at least a dozen times. I reset the phone, soft-reset the Sync4, removed/reinstalled the FordPass App, logged out/in of FordPass, and turned the car off/on. None of that stuff helped!

I actually got someone from Ford who told me to reset the PaaK settings somewhere in the car's settings. After that, my wife's phone was able to have PaaK reinstalled just fine at that point. Of course that meant that I then had to redo the PaaK on my phone too because using that setting removes ALL the configured PaaK's. The issue here was not her phone. Her phone was working fine and even connected to the audio Bluetooth portion of the Sync4 system even when the car wouldn't recognize the PaaK. It would not connect with the Bluetooth that PaaK uses though. For those that don't realize it, the Mach-e uses 2 different bluetooth connections; 1 for audio/carplay/etc and one for the Paak function. You can see them each if you check your list of Bluetooth devices on your phone. They have different names.

After re-doing the PaaK on our phones I took the car out for a ride and when I stopped to get something to eat and came back the car wouldn't recognize the PaaK on my phone. Same symptoms my wife had seen earlier that day. I ultimately had to use the start code to get the car turned on. I then went and drove over to the supermarket and when I came out from that visit the PaaK was automagically working just fine again. Those trying to blame the problem on the phone(s) are wrong. This is simply some really crappy programming work by the Ford software developers. You would never see this lack of quality control on airplane avionics software and you shouldn't see it on automobile electronics either.

I didnt buy the Mach-E because I wanted a toy, neato gadget, or an extra computer. I bought it because I wanted an electric car that just works and looks any other car. Tesla's feel and look like toys to me. The Mach-E looks and feels much more like a traditional car. I am in my 50's and I do information technology work for a living so I'm use to tech and bugs. When it comes to my car though I just want a nice simple vehicle regardless of it its electric or gas that I can get into and it just works reliably. This is not too much to ask. How anyone who is not tech savvy could use one of these cars is something I don't think either Ford and Tesla understand. They seem quite willing to let the consumer pay for not-fully-cooked software. I cant even imagine trying to explain to my 79 year old mother how to troubleshoot all the tech related issues I have seen with the Mach-E so far if she had one. Even forgetting about PaaK, Sync4 is a mess too. I end up having to soft-reset it (down vol and right-arrow buttons for 10 seconds) probably every 3-4 weeks. That's nuts. My laptop at home is more reliable than that. I had an F-150 with Sync3 and other than one or two random reboots during the 2 years I owned it I never had issues with it.

People can make all the excuses they want for this issue and us not having the start code but the bottom line is Ford is putting out a buggy software product and then suggesting people depend on it. The start code should only be there for if my phone has died or been lost. If my phone is working and powered up then PaaK should work...

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
3,193 Posts
When I got home from rescuing my wife I tried to delete and re-setup the PaaK for her phone. It simply would not finishing the pairing step and gave a failed to connect message after timing out. I tried at least a dozen times. I reset the phone, soft-reset the Sync4, removed/reinstalled the FordPass App, logged out/in of FordPass, and turned the car off/on. None of that stuff helped!

I actually got someone from Ford who told me to reset the PaaK settings somewhere in the car's settings. After that, my wife's phone was able to have PaaK reinstalled just fine at that point. Of course that meant that I then had to redo the PaaK on my phone too because using that setting removes ALL the configured PaaK's. The issue here was not her phone. Her phone was working fine and even connected to the audio Bluetooth portion of the Sync4 system even when the car wouldn't recognize the PaaK. It would not connect with the Bluetooth that PaaK uses though. For those that don't realize it, the Mach-e uses 2 different bluetooth connections; 1 for audio/carplay/etc and one for the Paak function. You can see them each if you check your list of Bluetooth devices on your phone. They have different names.

After re-doing the PaaK on our phones I took the car out for a ride and when I stopped to get something to eat and came back the car wouldn't recognize the PaaK on my phone. Same symptoms my wife had seen earlier that day. I ultimately had to use the start code to get the car turned on. I then went and drove over to the supermarket and when I came out from that visit the PaaK was automagically working just fine again. Those trying to blame the problem on the phone(s) are wrong. This is simply some really crappy programming work by the Ford software developers. You would never see this lack of quality control on airplane avionics software and you shouldn't see it on automobile electronics either.

I didnt buy the Mach-E because I wanted a toy, neato gadget, or an extra computer. I bought it because I wanted an electric car that just works and looks any other car. Tesla's feel and look like toys to me. The Mach-E looks and feels much more like a traditional car. I am in my 50's and I do information technology work for a living so I'm use to tech and bugs. When it comes to my car though I just want a nice simple vehicle regardless of it its electric or gas that I can get into and it just works reliably. This is not too much to ask. How anyone who is not tech savvy could use one of these cars is something I don't think either Ford and Tesla understand. They seem quite willing to let the consumer pay for not-fully-cooked software. I cant even imagine trying to explain to my 79 year old mother how to troubleshoot all the tech related issues I have seen with the Mach-E so far if she had one. Even forgetting about PaaK, Sync4 is a mess too. I end up having to soft-reset it (down vol and right-arrow buttons for 10 seconds) probably every 3-4 weeks. That's nuts. My laptop at home is more reliable than that. I had an F-150 with Sync3 and other than one or two random reboots during the 2 years I owned it I never had issues with it.

People can make all the excuses they want for this issue and us not having the start code but the bottom line is Ford is putting out a buggy software product and then suggesting people depend on it. The start code should only be there for if my phone has died or been lost. If my phone is working and powered up then PaaK should work...
Wow, forget PaaK, perhaps it time for a second Fob. Fortunately for me, despite being 74 years old and some early PaaK issues in 2021 aside, I have been able to "troubleshoot the tech" and I've been utilizing PaaK for over a year with no current difficulties. Since it must be quite maddening, and the forum has been unable to diagnose your difficulty I hope that you're able to work through the problem(s), good luck.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
all this is exactly why I am a fob guy ONLY....never set up PaaK. and I wish the car had a mechanical key in addition for times when it would be needed......sometimes, in this crazy tech world, simple is better.....
yeah I'm a tightwad I set up PAAK purely for the access code. I always use a fob but am too cheap to buy a second one. This was my one major complaint from day one, all maches should come with TWO fobs, the fact that they changed policy and started giving two with the cars is no help to those who got their cars early on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah I'm a tightwad I set up PAAK purely for the access code. I always use a fob but am too cheap to buy a second one. This was my one major complaint from day one, all maches should come with TWO fobs, the fact that they changed policy and started giving two with the cars is no help to those who got their cars early on.
I didn't know they had changed the policy but if they did then that just seems like ever more confirmation from Ford that both PaaK is unreliable and Ford knows it...

Honestly I would have been happier if they just had a simple biometric scanner (i.e. fingerprint or face scan) inside the car such as on the driver's dashboard or center console. Passcodes are so insecure and so yesterday... For a car that's going for high-tech feel, the whole passcode backup doesn't feel very techy... Biometric scanners are dirt cheap and shouldn't add anything significant to the cost of the car. Biometric would probably be more reliable than PaaK too. Always works 100% reliably on my iPhone...

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E GT, Grabber Blue
15 Posts
Try rebooting the phone when this happens. Yes, the PaaK is flaky, but in some cases, the process in the phone gets terminated and that's one possible reason it stops working.
Regardless, setting up a PIN for entry and a password for starting is a good idea whether or not you use PaaK. If your fob goes for a swim or gets lost, you're in the same predicament. Remember, there is no mechanical entry key on this car if any link in the electronic system fails. The coat hanger down the window seal doesn't work (aside from being a really bad idea on any modern car even if it did). Cribbing the door and hitting the unlock button is particularly difficult (and also damages the door).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Reading this post and some others on Facebook,, its seems the latest version of ford pass may be the issue. I personally don’t have a problem. But many report the PAAK as working/not working intermittently since the last update. I have PAAK set up a with passwords/codes, but also always bring my Fob. I just like having backups for my backups.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have that problem all of the time, PAAK is a waste of time at this point.
Did you guys try use your code to get into the car then your code to start the car so she could get home?

·
Registered
21 Mach E Premium AWD ER Infinite Blue
32 Posts

After failing the 1st time you need to delete the PaaK in order to set it up again using the same name. Try doing a power-off of the phone because it could be a Bluetooth issue. I need to constantly do a hard close of the app to fix my “set up PaaK” condition.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cannot believe people think a feature involving cell phones would ever be 100% reliable. This is well known that it isn't.
How about 60%, that would be a massive improvement.

I should never have to take my key out of my pocket to make it work. With PAAK I often have to pull the phone out of my pocket or try to configure my body to send the right wave of information to the car, so if I'm holding things and I need to get into the car I often have to put them down take the phone out of my pocket put it up next to the door then open door. Not good technology.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Mike
That's what the backup passcode is for.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts