Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Premium AWD Star White Tri-Coat
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently my Ford Pass is working because I'm getting stuff like charging status and I can stop charging using my phone and I can lock & unlock doors and remote start my MME, I know tire pressure, etc, BUT my PAAK doesn't work even though my FordPass tells me that PAAK is ENABLED. Usually I have the fob in my pocket so I didn't realize my phone wouldn't unlock my car. Today, I only had my phone on me and I couldn't get into my car with it so I used the door passcode to get in BUT then I couldn't start the car... because I didn't have the fob. I assumed I would be asked for another code to start my car on the Sync 4 screen but nope... nothing. Had to go back into the house and get the fob. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? If I reinstall the PAAK do I need to uninstall my existing app first? Or can I reinstall PAAK over the existing app? BTW I absolutely love the car.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Apparently my Ford Pass is working because I'm getting stuff like charging status and I can stop charging using my phone and I can lock & unlock doors and remote start my MME, I know tire pressure, etc, BUT my PAAK doesn't work even though my FordPass tells me that PAAK is ENABLED. Usually I have the fob in my pocket so I didn't realize my phone wouldn't unlock my car. Today, I only had my phone on me and I couldn't get into my car with it so I used the door passcode to get in BUT then I couldn't start the car... because I didn't have the fob. I assumed I would be asked for another code to start my car on the Sync 4 screen but nope... nothing. Had to go back into the house and get the fob. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? If I reinstall the PAAK do I need to uninstall my existing app first? Or can I reinstall PAAK over the existing app? BTW I absolutely love the car.
curious when you enabled PAAK, were you prompted to create a startup code? This is the relevant info on startup code from the manual. I'm wondering if the full PAAK creation was perhaps not completed? Tho you do say it says PAAK enabled.

Also what is the build date of your car? The PAAK update covers cars built up until 4/21/21

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
curious when you enabled PAAK, were you prompted to create a startup code? This is the relevant info on startup code from the manual. I'm wondering if the full PAAK creation was perhaps not completed? Tho you do say it says PAAK enabled.

Also what is the build date of your car? The PAAK update covers cars built up until 4/21/1 View attachment 6081

Also what is the build date of your car? The PAAK update covers cars built up until 4/21/21 View attachment 6081
The build date was April 28. I do not recall if I was prompted to create a startup code. It was roughly a month and half ago and I haven't really used PAAK until yesterday but I can assure you FordPass indicates that PAAK is enabled. You may be correct I may not have completed the setup fully, albeit it says ENABLED. My question is do I need to delete or uninstall PAAK to redo or can I reinstall over my existing app?

·
Registered
832 Posts
The build date was April 28. I do not recall if I was prompted to create a startup code. It was roughly a month and half ago and I haven't really used PAAK until yesterday but I can assure you FordPass indicates that PAAK is enabled. You may be correct I may not have completed the setup fully, albeit it says ENABLED. My question is do I need to delete or uninstall PAAK to redo or can I reinstall over my existing app?
I'm not quite sure the process. But when I set up right after I got my car, part of the process walked me thru creating the startup code. BUT, I don't have a good answer for installing, re-installing PAAK. I did find this very helpful post on installing/setting up PAAK. Unfortunately this forum won't let me post links to other forums so I've cut and pasted it, this is the work of DTBaker61 on macheclub.com It goes into great detail about de-installing re-installing hope this helps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My Goal in documenting this process was to complete config of FordPass - PAAK to enable setting a BackupStartCode that could be entered on Console if and when needed. Not really concerned with using PaaK on a daily basis or remote start... Just wanting a way to get into the car, and start it without EITHER Fob or Phone present in case of loss, damage, or dead batteries in Fob and Phone.

The Problem with PaaK config on some Android 9 phones (like mine) in the current (3/2021 PAAK), is that the FordPass app displays a screen in the very beginning saying that your 'Device is not supported' for Phone As A Key (PAAK) functionality. Don't be discouraged! The current release is a little flaky, and it may randomly drop the Bluetooth connect for Automatic FordPass features, but you WILL be able to set a Backup StartCode ... and have a 'virtual spare key' even if you lose both your Fob and your Phone.

After several days of trial and error, and some helpful communication from the PAAK development team at Ford, I was able to piece together a few not-well-documented details in the procedure that FINALLY got me thru with a valid Phone setup, and set a StartCode. With your 5-digit DoorCode, and Backup StartCode, you are set!

First steps are to clear any partial or 'failed pairings' from both your phone, and your MME console.

A - phone -
1. delete FordPass app from your phone
2. delete any previous Bluetooth pairings between phone and MME by
phone>settings>Connections> tap on Bluetooth
if there is any MME pairing, tap the 'settings' icon next to it, and unpair
There MAY be two depending how far you got before! delete both.
3. turn phone OFF, and restart

B.1 - in MME - It is probably a good idea to enable the Wifi Connectivity in your MME before enabling PAAK. If you have WiFi in your home, or whever you park your MME to do this Config, and future OTA updates, you might want to make sure that your MME recognizes the Network, has a password if needed, and can auto-re-connect when in range.

B.2 - in MME - Reset Phone as a Key to clear any partial Key stored in MME using the following steps on MME console after
starting MME. This is mostly from p63 of user manual, but I've included some pictures to help find the right place in the Console Settings:

1. Press Settings on the console touchscreen(upper right)
2. Press General.
3. Press Reset.
4. Press FordPass Connect Reset.
6. Confirm you would like to continue with erasing all Phone as a Key,
and Backup Start Passcodes by Pressing 'Continue' on the pop-up dialog.

C - in MME - delete the 'regular' Phone pairing as well so that you have a clean slate

1. Press Settings on the console touchscreen(upper right)
2. Phone> 'remove' if you had entered it previously, you will re-pair AFTER PAAK
3. turn OFF your MME, and exit the vehicle with your Fob and phone....

D - web - on your laptop or phone.... you will need your Ford.com email, password, and VIN

1. confirm/setup your MME, with VIN in your Ford.com account online
https://www.ford.com/profile/myprofilev2/innersettingspage/?navpath=ford-vehicle

verify that your vehicle appears under My Ford Vehicles, and the VIN number is correct, etc.

D - phone (while in MME) - Finally, to set up PAAK on the phone! you will need to enter your Ford.com email/password/PIN while sitting in MME during the process, so bring your login notes.....

1. Get your Fob and phone, and go sit in your MME...
2. foot on brake, 'Start' button to turn on, leave it in park
3. REMOVE foot from brake for remainder of config
4. download/install current version of the FordPass app on your phone from PlayStore
5. open FordPass app on phone when install is complete
6. login using Ford.com profile email and password (that you used in step C)
7. set/use your 4-digit FordPass PIN
8. allow full access to phone for contact lists, etc
9. you will FINALLY get the FordPass dashboard open, and below the on-App 'start' button, you
10. touch 'Setup Phone As a Key'

11. you may get a 'device not supported' dialog pop-up... click 'continue, I understand'
12. name your Phone to use as PAAK, continue....
13. App displays 6-digit temp Bluetooth passcode,
click the 'copy and continue' to put it in the phone clipboard
14. App asks for PIN, and hints it is usually 0000 or 1234.... it is NOT, its the 6-digit code you just copied to clipboard
15. tap-hold in the PIN entry area, and paste in the 6-digit passcode from previous step
16. if pairing FAILS, you have to delete EVERYTHING and start over

17. if pairing succeeds, the MME console will pop-up a dialog asking if you want to set up a Backup Start Passcode...
YES! Set up a StartCode you will remember if and when needed to ever start the MME without either a Fob OR phone present. This does not have to be numbers, you can use the full keyboard, and alpha& numbers for a decent password style StartCode

E - MME - re-pair your 'regular' phone Bluetooth connection

1. Settings > Phone List > add phone
2. follow prompts and re-pair 'regular' phone functions
3. turn MME OFF
4. exit MME, and put Fob somewhere more than 10' away, and turn OFF you phone, or put in 'airplane mode' so that the MME cannot connect to it

F - Verify that you can open and start MME without EITHER Fob or phone

1. approach your MME without Fob OR phone,
with 5-digit door code (on card or memorized), and use it to unlock and get in

------ this is the part not well documented... to START using the Backup StartCode -------

2. do NOT put your foot on the brake, just hit 'Start' button, Console will think for a bit,
and display a screen to allow entry of your Backup StartCode password set during config
3. touch the entry area, and enter your StartCode with the Console keyboard
4. THEN foot on Brake and 'Start' button can be used!

...done!

I have found that having both my Fob and Phone with me when entering the MME tends to 'confuse' the system. I would recommend choosing between:

1. putting the Fob in a drawer for 'spare', and use PAAK functionality... usng DoorCode+StartCode if and when the PAAK functionality screws up and doesn't see your phone.

2. delete FordPass App from your phone, never using PAAK, and use the Fob as a key... still with the Door+StartCode available if you lose the Fob. This should avoid your MME from getting confused if both Fob and Phone are present. You could re-install FordPass App on phone later without re-configuring PAAK if PAAK is 'fixed' in future OTA update.

-------

I hope this works for any/all of you who have been having trouble setting up and using PAAK, and were as nervous as I was about not having a 'spare'. - Dan

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
2021 Mach E
6 Posts

Also what is the build date of your car? The PAAK update covers cars built up until 4/21/21 View attachment 6081
At least you got partially hooked up, all I can do is lock unlock remote start and see some charge etc history. Don’t get the line on app to use as key 🥴

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm back up and operating and this time it ALL works... thanks to all for your suggestions and recommendations.
After I reset and removed my PAAK devices I could not setup a new key because there wasn't the option or command to set one up. However the "next day" I looked at the app and there was the "set up key" option. I had something like this happen before. I tried to reset myself as a user and couldn't make it happen but oddly enough the next day I could re-create myself on the app. I think that once you do something as significant as a reset the app takes 24 hours before it allows you to input information.
This morning I saw that I could create a key (PAAK) and it happened easily and now works great. Even took my backup passcode, which it wouldn't before, and I can now start the car 3 ways. Fob, PAAK or code. Once again I appreciate everyone's help

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm back up and operating and this time it ALL works... thanks to all for your suggestions and recommendations.
After I reset and removed my PAAK devices I could not setup a new key because there wasn't the option or command to set one up. However the "next day" I looked at the app and there was the "set up key" option. I had something like this happen before. I tried to reset myself as a user and couldn't make it happen but oddly enough the next day I could re-create myself on the app. I think that once you do something as significant as a reset the app takes 24 hours before it allows you to input information.
This morning I saw that I could create a key (PAAK) and it happened easily and now works great. Even took my backup passcode, which it wouldn't before, and I can now start the car 3 ways. Fob, PAAK or code. Once again I appreciate everyone's help
great to hear, perhaps you can clear something up as you've spent a good bit of time with the paak. I have paak setup, and shows as enabled on the fordpass, also entered the code etc. I was under the impression fordpass and paak are always running in the background of the phone. But the only way I can get PAAK to work is to actually open fordpass app, ie click on the icon, is this correct or do I have it configured wrong?

·
Registered
2021 Mach E
6 Posts
great to hear, perhaps you can clear something up as you've spent a good bit of time with the paak. I have paak setup, and shows as enabled on the fordpass, also entered the code etc. I was under the impression fordpass and paak are always running in the background of the phone. But the only way I can get PAAK to work is to actually open fordpass app, ie click on the icon, is this correct or do I have it configured wrong?
I’m pretty sure I read app has to be open to use paak. Also saw some complaints about it drawing some phones batteries.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m pretty sure I read app has to be open to use paak. Also saw some complaints about it drawing some phones batteries.
I believe the FordPass app is supposed to be left open. When I have closed the app I have gotten notifications that it was to be left open in order to operate. And yes I can confirm that it is working in the background all the time and yes it does draw your phones battery power.
I do believe that if you do delete something and plan to re-enter the info it will not happen immediately but will work the next day. Strange but that has been my experience.

·
Registered
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
63 Posts
You can close the app and PAAK continues in the background. I have it set as a "never sleeping app". It does burn through battery since a recent update but I can typically get through the day without recharging unless I use Android Auto a lot during the day. For some reason, I do not have to set my Tesla app as never sleeping but it also runs in the background without having it open.

·
Registered
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
63 Posts
I believe the FordPass app is supposed to be left open. When I have closed the app I have gotten notifications that it was to be left open in order to operate. And yes I can confirm that it is working in the background all the time and yes it does draw your phones battery power.
I do believe that if you do delete something and plan to re-enter the info it will not happen immediately but will work the next day. Strange but that has been my experience.
What you're saying could definitely be right, but I've also noticed that nothing takes effect until the app refreshes. Many times I'll open the app (typically to check charging) and it will show that the app updated 8 hours ago or longer. Once it refreshes, things seem to update.

·
Registered
832 Posts
mine definitely doesn't work unless it's open and running. I guess I need to check to see if it has the "always on" selected. Although it's not really crucial for me as I use the fob.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine definitely doesn't work unless it's open and running. I guess I need to check to see if it has the "always on" selected. Although it's not really crucial for me as I use the fob.
I don’t shut the app down and if I do I get a notification that “ the app works better if left open”. It does draw power when open because it’s monitoring the car all the time and can’t if it’s closed.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don’t shut the app down and if I do I get a notification that “ the app works better if left open”. It does draw power when open because it’s monitoring the car all the time and can’t if it’s closed.
this is good to know.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
FordPass battery usage has decreased greatly with the last few patch releases. I use way more battery reading and posting to our forum :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FordPass battery usage has decreased greatly with the last few patch releases. I use way more battery reading and posting to our forum :)
Good to hear. So how do I know if I’m getting all the patches. I’m not aware of any but I’m sure they are happening?

·
Registered
125 Posts
No problem having both the FoB and the PaaK together. Always carry your FoB.
My thoughts exactly! I have both with me and never drive the car without the FOB. I purchased a second FOB and my wife does the same thing when she drives. Having both the phone & FOB does not seem to "confuse" the car. Ford should have included two FOBs with the car IMHO.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Good to hear. So how do I know if I’m getting all the patches. I’m not aware of any but I’m sure they are happening?
the latest version is 3.26 for droids. Something that surprises me, these don't automatically update from the playstore, I have to actually go to the playstore to see if an update is available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts