Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Last week I ordered a MME premium in the Dark. Matter Gray Metallic. I wondering if anyone has recommendations on paint protections. I researched and found recommendations on ceramic coating or wrapping the MME. thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been considering the ceramic on the MME too. I recently also purchased a new Escape with the coating already applied by one of the dealers contractors. I didn't ask for it, but it was already done and sold to me for 1/2 the price it would cast to have done at a certified detail shop. Anyway, I love it. One rainy day, my wife and I pulled into the garage at about the same time. I went to dry the cars off and noticed the Escape was nearly free of any water. The MME was coated with water. So - there is definitely a benefit.

Since then, I sent two of my classic Porsches in for ceramic coating. Wow what a difference it made to the look of the paint. Prices range for $800 for a small convertible to $2500 for a truck. You also get a certificate showing you had the coating applied professionally - in the event you get in a fender bender - you can prove to the insurance company that the coating also needs to be reapplied to the repaired area.

The car has to be meticulously prepped for the job (like prep for a paint job needs to be prepped). I do most of my own work including use of an electric buffer - but I deferred to the pros on this one. The shop I used had a small Mercedes they were working on, where the owner tried to apply the coating himself. They spend two days cutting through the botched application (with buffing compound) - $2500 later, it looked perfect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are two primary product categories to consider, paint protection film and ceramic coating, and they have different primary functions.

PPF is a film that gets applied to the car like a clear wrap. It protects the car from damage like chips and scratches as well as stains. If a small stone strikes it it might nick or scratch the film, but the film can be restored to its original condition with the use of a heat gun on a low setting. Small scratches can be removed to. On an MME you migh spend $1500 getting just the very front of the car covered, or $2500 to do the whole front of the car, or perhaps $5-6k to do the entire car. If only part of a panel is covered, like only the front half of the hood, then you will see and feel the seam/edge. It can last for 5 or more years.

Ceramic coating is a long lasting coating applied to the car like an expensive polymer wax or teflon like coating. It repels water and therefore dirt - it is hydrophobic in nature. It makes the car easier to clean and adds a shire or luster to the car but it does nothing to prevent nicks or scratches. Coating an entire car might cost $2000. The treatment might typically last 2 years. When you have ceramic coating the car becomes very easy to wash and dry but it is not protected from stone chips etc. Generally you should not use automatic car washes or anything other than a mild carwash detergent and water on the car when its installed.

It is possible to apply the ceramic coating over the film. There is also a film that has ceramic coating infused into it that reportedly lasts for the life of the film. You can not put film over ceramic coating, nor would you want to.

It is highly recommended to apply any such treatments as soon as possible after taking delivery to reduce the amount of prep work the shop has to do before installing the products.

They do different things. Depending on what you want you need to get the right one, both, or the combination product. Its highly recommended that you talk to other people in your area for references and that you visit several shops to see their work and talk to them, preferable before you take delivery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Last week I ordered a MME premium in the Dark. Matter Gray Metallic. I wondering if anyone has recommendations on paint protections. I researched and found recommendations on ceramic coating or wrapping the MME. thank you in advance for any advice.
My wife has same color and looking at wrapping front with expel. She just got her Michelin pilot sport a/s 4 all season tires. They are a XL rated load especially for heavy EV. They are very quiet. Front bra on our daughters challenger 392 is 3m and has stopped many road debris from damaging front end. I am understating front and rear components with blaster surface protector which I found to be the best self healing coating that doesn't drip, safe for rubber and paint and 1 can goes a long way. We love the color especially on a Sunny day. Good luck on your choice of protection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your feedback and sharing your story. I didn’t realize there was so much to consider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts