Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
It's been 106 to 111 degrees all week and Nevada Power is requesting conservation because of the "record" temperatures. I've been and continue to be concerned about sitting under that much glass. I would love for Ford to release some test data on how much energy is needed to cool the cabin. Also, even with the ambient temps in comfort range what it will be like with the sun directly over the glass roof. My Energi has a glass roof an in the daytime the sliding cover is closed.💥😓

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That won't be an issue because the Mach-E's panoramic roof has a UV coating from what I hear.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Just to be pedantic....I don't think UV would help against heat. It would help against skin cancer and fading. Infrared protection is what you want, like Low-E glass.
I believe that you are correct and the other issue for me is the direct light into the cabin. On a recent drive home from Ogden, UT., the sun was setting to my right and shining directly through the side windows restricting peripheral vision. Take another look at the cabin picture above and see where the side sun is cutting across the seat backs. Now picture the same thing when the sun is at it's peak directly overhead. I hope that Ford engineered this correctly. It's my understanding the Tesla has some type of aftermarket cover for the overhead glass on the Mod.3

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
It's been 106 to 111 degrees all week and Nevada Power is requesting conservation because of the "record" temperatures. I've been and continue to be concerned about sitting under that much glass. I would love for Ford to release some test data on how much energy is needed to cool the cabin. Also, even with the ambient temps in comfort range what it will be like with the sun directly over the glass roof. My Energi has a glass roof an in the daytime the sliding cover is closed.💥😓
Things that should make you happy about the MMe (We don’t have packaging guide from GT, so its not listed):
  • Panoramic fixed-glass roof with Low-E coating - Low-E blocks UV and IR radiation (blocking heat), while letting visible light in. It also helps stop heat loss in the winter. (PRM, Rt1, FE)
  • Front windshield with infrared reflective (IRR) coating, reduces heat. (PRM, Rt1, FE)

The Rear windows and glass roof also appear solar tinted in pictures, although I don't see it listed.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Things that should make you happy about the MMe (We don’t have packaging guide from GT, so its not listed):
  • Panoramic fixed-glass roof with Low-E coating - Low-E blocks UV and IR radiation (blocking heat), while letting visible light in. It also helps stop heat loss in the winter. (PRM, Rt1, FE)
  • Front windshield with infrared reflective (IRR) coating, reduces heat. (PRM, Rt1, FE)
The Rear windows and glass roof also appear solar tinted in pictures, although I don't see it listed.
HOORAY

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From Ford:

Glass Roof
The benefits of this available Panoramic Fixed Glass roof go beyond its expansive view. Special coating is designed to help the interior stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with a Low-E on the roof and Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
From Ford:

Glass Roof
The benefits of this available Panoramic Fixed Glass roof go beyond its expansive view. Special coating is designed to help the interior stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with a Low-E on the roof and Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield.
Thanks, that is important to me

·
Registered
7 Posts
From Ford:

Glass Roof
It appears there will be 3rd party options available by or shortly after launch. Here's a link to a sun shade for the panoramic glass roof:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Glass Roof Sunshade

Scroll down and you'll also see floor liners and cargo liner.

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope there’s no need for the shade, i love the view.
First we need some real numbers on how well the Low-E on the roof, Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield and the cabin overall manages hot weather. Unless someone here has a general idea of what we should expect, since its not exactly a new thing for the industry. Anyone?

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
725 Posts
I do not live in the southwest, but on Long Island. We recently had 10 days above 90 degrees.

We have a Ford Edge Sport with the full panoramic roof. Do not know if we have a cover - that is to say the AC was more than enough to keep the car cool even in that temperature in the sun so I never needed a cover.

I do not know if this answers your questions

·
Registered
23 Posts
First we need some real numbers on how well the Low-E on the roof, Infra-red Reflective coating on the windshield and the cabin overall manages hot weather. Unless someone here has a general idea of what we should expect, since its not exactly a new thing for the industry. Anyone?
Our son has a Tesla 3 with basically the same glass roof. He lives in Denver. Crossing Nebraska in July bright sun doesn't cause heat in the can. I think Ford has it all together

1 - 20 of 22 Posts