Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, everyone. I have a Mach-E with the panoramic roof. So far everything has been good with the car, but it has been developing an increasingly frequent creaking noise. It appears to be coming from the panoramic roof glass in the rear, where it has the arch cut into it/where the antenna fin sits.

At first, I thought it was the headliner or the antenna wire, so I wedged in some foam and wrapped the cord in foam, but it did not help. I went back in, and realized that pushing on the panel under the headliner in the arch area or on the glass around the arch area, it makes the creaking noise. When driving, the creak occurs when there seems to be some flex to the body (over bumps, etc), so it sounds like it is the joint between the glass and the body making the noise.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do dealers care about creaking sounds as a warranty item or will they just say it is what it is?

Edit: added that I meant under warranty

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,625 Posts
Hello, everyone. I have a Mach-E with the panoramic roof. So far everything has been good with the car, but it has been developing an increasingly frequent creaking noise. It appears to be coming from the panoramic roof glass in the rear, where it has the arch cut into it/where the antenna fin sits.

At first, I thought it was the headliner or the antenna wire, so I wedged in some foam and wrapped the cord in foam, but it did not help. I went back in, and realized that pushing on the panel under the headliner in the arch area or on the glass around the arch area, it makes the creaking noise. When driving, the creak occurs when there seems to be some flex to the body (over bumps, etc), so it sounds like it is the joint between the glass and the body making the noise.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do dealers care about creaking sounds or will they just say it is what it is?
It shouldn't be about whether the dealer cares about the "creaking", you care. Tell them to fix it ASAP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure! I definitely plan on taking it to them. I meant do dealers usually consider squeaks/rattles/etc a warranty issue? Or is it a toss up? Ive also edited my first post to make it more clear :)

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
For sure! I definitely plan on taking it to them. I meant do dealers usually consider squeaks/rattles/etc a warranty issue? Or is it a toss up? Ive also edited my first post to make it more clear :)
When it comes to anything causing stresses on the glass roof, they should care and investigate.

For comparison, my MMe has no such creaking, and I’ve taken this thing on some moon-landing roads.

·
Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
205 Posts

Does anyone else have this issue? Do dealers care about creaking sounds as a warranty item or will they just say it is what it is?

Edit: added that I meant under warranty
As an engineer who works on automotive products, Ford and other major automotive manufacturers are concerned with BSR (buzz, squeak and rattle). Whether it's Ford's own spec or ASTM, it's an integral part of product design. Because you can duplicate the sound by pushing on it, I would be concerned with seal integrity and possible leaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When it comes to anything causing stresses on the glass roof, they should care and investigate.

For comparison, my MMe has no such creaking, and I’ve taken this thing on some moon-landing roads.
This is my growing fear, as well. I'm worried I'll come out and the grass is cracked. I didn't think of that aspect until last night.

As an engineer who works on automotive products, Ford and other major automotive manufacturers are concerned with BSR (buzz, squeak and rattle). Whether it's Ford's own spec or ASTM, it's an integral part of product design. Because you can duplicate the sound by pushing on it, I would be concerned with seal integrity and possible leaks.
This is my second major concern, past the glass cracking. Right now, it isn't leaking. The increasingly common nature of the sound might mean the seal is degrading and will eventually fail.

I was able to set up an appointment, but the earliest availability wasn't until the 5th of next month. I'm going to try another service department and see what they say.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
2,053 Posts

Does anyone else have this issue? Do dealers care about creaking sounds or will they just say it is what it is?
It shouldn't be about whether the dealer cares about the "creaking", you care. Tell them to fix it ASAP.
If you go through the different posts, I remember some were posting about wind noise and adding insulation in the front.

Another post was about the roof shattering - the dealer saying something fell on the roof and it not being covered by warranty.

In any event, there seems to potential problems here.

I would immediately take it back to the dealer and document everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw the wind noise issues. I definitely have the misaligned glass others reported, but the wind noise has never been excessive. No one else seems to report having the creaking. It is loud enough to hear over the stereo, and will occur at all speeds -- including ultra-low speeds such as 1-2mph.

I have an appointment tomorrow. I'd like at a minimum to at least have it on record with Ford that I'm experiencing glass-related issues. I'm sure any crack will be an uphill battle.

·
Registered
2016 Edge Ti.
136 Posts
I saw the wind noise issues. I definitely have the misaligned glass others reported, but the wind noise has never been excessive. No one else seems to report having the creaking. It is loud enough to hear over the stereo, and will occur at all speeds -- including ultra-low speeds such as 1-2mph.

I have an appointment tomorrow. I'd like at a minimum to at least have it on record with Ford that I'm experiencing glass-related issues. I'm sure any crack will be an uphill battle.
While there may or not be other " roof creaking" issues reported here, I have read on other forums that there were a few other owners with this issue, so you are not alone. I have no idea if the creaking leads to a subsequent glass roof panel fracture, but if you have your concerns noted at your dealer and something happens to the glass I have to believe that makes the outcome better for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While there may or not be other " roof creaking" issues reported here, I have read on other forums that there were a few other owners with this issue, so you are not alone. I have no idea if the creaking leads to a subsequent glass roof panel fracture, but if you have your concerns noted at your dealer and something happens to the glass I have to believe that makes the outcome better for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
I hadn't heard anyone else mention it, so that's good to know since it means it might already be on Ford's radar.

I just got back from a different dealer. They are going to reach out to Ford. They say it sounds like the glass will either need to be cut out and resealed, or might need to be fully replaced. They did confirm the sound was coming from the glass roof and not something else making the noise.

I'm guessing it will be a reseal if it's technically possible. I'll update with Ford's response when I hear back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Second follow up: I spoke to the service department, and they more or less said that Ford will cover the costs (or at least they weren't worried about Ford covering it).

The current hold up is they don't know what to do with the glass roof. There don't appear to be workshop manuals for it, and they are waiting to hear back from Ford about proper steps to service it.

Once they have some answers, I'll share them here.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Second follow up: I spoke to the service department, and they more or less said that Ford will cover the costs (or at least they weren't worried about Ford covering it).

The current hold up is they don't know what to do with the glass roof. There don't appear to be workshop manuals for it, and they are waiting to hear back from Ford about proper steps to service it.

Once they have some answers, I'll share them here.
NO MANUALS? AH! the joys of new design technology Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
NO MANUALS? AH! the joys of new design technology Good luck
Yep! I had a short membership to the Ford service site a little bit ago since I wanted to run a dash cam. After he said that, I remembered I didn't see anything about the glass roof (or at least not that I can recall seeing).

If anyone has an active Motorcraft subscription, perhaps you could take a look and see if there is anything?

Totally my luck the undocumented item needs a repair!

Edit: Still no update. The creak is continuing to get worse. I might have to see if I can reach out to Ford directly and become a squeaky wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Yep! I had a short membership to the Ford service site a little bit ago since I wanted to run a dash cam. After he said that, I remembered I didn't see anything about the glass roof (or at least not that I can recall seeing).

If anyone has an active Motorcraft subscription, perhaps you could take a look and see if there is anything?

Totally my luck the undocumented item needs a repair!
Ford chose to automate the Owners Manual freeing up the glove box, so it's not like they had to print service manuals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey everyone, I hate when these threads just die without resolution. Ford eventually called me back, about 2 months later. They had ordered a new roof for me, but it came cracked. Last week, the 2nd replacement roof came. It was installed yesterday and I'm picking the car up today ~5 months later). It was all covered under the warranty.

If something is seriously messed up when I get the car back, I'll post an update. Otherwise it's finally fixed!

·
Registered
2016 Edge Ti.
136 Posts
Hey everyone, I hate when these threads just die without resolution. Ford eventually called me back, about 2 months later. They had ordered a new roof for me, but it came cracked. Last week, the 2nd replacement roof came. It was installed yesterday and I'm picking the car up today ~5 months later). It was all covered under the warranty.

If something is seriously messed up when I get the car back, I'll post an update. Otherwise it's finally fixed!
Good deal! Hopefully they used the proper sealant. Would your's have been recalled for the detachable glass roof issue?(21S42)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good deal! Hopefully they used the proper sealant. Would your's have been recalled for the detachable glass roof issue?(21S42)
That I don't know. I'm in the US, and I think it was Canada only, though I don't know why it wouldn't extend to the US too. Mine is an early build.

The glass company scratched my car, so I'll have to go back to get it buffed out later.

·
Registered
2016 Edge Ti.
136 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealership took care of the scratches this morning. But I just got hit the windshield and roof recall, so back to the dealer I guess. Roof should be good to go, but windshield may need to be resealed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts