Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got here in a little bit of a roundabout way.

I was looking forward to getting a plug-in hybrid, because I liked driving my wife's electric a lot (an i3) but wasn't ready to give up the security of gas for range. (I like to go hiking in the mountains.) Then, I realized I would be maintaining two cars in one, and I started looking at Teslas. Their stated range is good, but I'm not a fan of the minimalist interior. Plus, the stories about the build quality.

I had resigned myself to waiting another year or two, when started noticing the good reviews from the folks who had gotten their Mach E's. After a couple of test drives of my local dealer's demo unit, and a lot of research on my own, I placed an order for a Star White Premium Extended Range RWD this past weekend. (Did i mention I'm a little paranoid about range?)

I actually went into the dealer to place the order, and they warned me that it would probably be late July at the earliest, but I figure it's a chance for me to enjoy my last ICE car a little bit more, and pay it down a little more (only 2 1/2 years old).

Curious, did anyone else tried talking to the dealer about their order?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Welcome to the club @vjwilson! Congrats on placing your order. I tried getting info from my dealer about the Mach-E months ago but I quickly found out I knew more about the car than they did. So most of the work was done on my own.

Which ICE car are you switching to the Mach-E? Are you trading it in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... I tried getting info from my dealer about the Mach-E months ago but I quickly found out I knew more about the car than they did. So most of the work was done on my own.
I had a similar experience. The folks at the dealership had two cars front and center, and seemed happy to let me test drive them, but then they didn't really push to sell them. I've heard people speculate that dealers are not making as much on the MMEs, but I suspect you are more right, that they just don't know much about them. The manager that finally placed my order for me said something similar.

If I had to do it over again, I would just place the order online.

Which ICE car are you switching to the Mach-E? Are you trading it in?
BMW X1. I like the interior and tech of the recent BMWs, which I experienced through my wife's i3. I actually like it a lot, and I get decent gas mileage for its size (about 29 mpg). I'll probably trade it in, if I can break even on it, just to avoid any hassle.

It's a shame BMW won't sell the electric version of the X1 in the U.S., and the new i4 and iNext are not to my taste.

Have you gotten your MME yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome @vjwilson! Were you always set on Star White Premium Extended Range RWD or considered other ways to configure it?
I've had white cars for over 20 years (1999 Ford Ranger, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 2019 BMW X1). I was originally going to order the Red, because "Mustang", but then I fell back into my old ways and spec'ed white. ;)

The only other aspect I was unsure of was RWD vs. AWD. I considered that the AWD would have better resale value in the U.S., but longer range won out. (Also, I've never had a car with any kind of drive on all 4 wheels, and I don't think I'll start off-roading with the MME, since it only has < 6 inches clearance.)

I do seem to be in the minority with RWD.

For context on range, I know I don't need it around town, and we already have a 40amp Level 2 charger at home. However, I go on hiking weekends in the mountains, where I only have trickle charging, and Level 3 chargers in the N.C. mountains are few and far between.

·
Registered
2021 Mach E Select RWD w/Comfort & Appearance Pkg
2 Posts
I've had white cars for over 20 years (1999 Ford Ranger, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 2019 BMW X1). I was originally going to order the Red, because "Mustang", but then I fell back into my old ways and spec'ed white. ;)

The only other aspect I was unsure of was RWD vs. AWD. I considered that the AWD would have better resale value in the U.S., but longer range won out. (Also, I've never had a car with any kind of drive on all 4 wheels, and I don't think I'll start off-roading with the MME, since it only has < 6 inches clearance.)

I do seem to be in the minority with RWD.

For context on range, I know I don't need it around town, and we already have a 40amp Level 2 charger at home. However, I go on hiking weekends in the mountains, where I only have trickle charging, and Level 3 chargers in the N.C. mountains are few and far between.
Boone has a Level 3 Chargion but it’s CHAdeMO only. I’m thinking about pinging them to add in a CCS.
Other than that, the only other Level 3s I know in the areas I roam are Asheville (of course) and Hickory.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
OOPPS, sorry, should have said Star White. Confusing at times. The Star White is the triple paint and cost an additional $600.00. Well worth it.
I’ve seen both colors, and they look brilliant.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
210 Posts
I am kind of surprised more parks in NC don't have public charging. I hope that changes. There is at least 1 here in Raleigh I know of. Hopefully with time, more options will become available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boone has a Level 3 Chargion but it’s CHAdeMO only. I’m thinking about pinging them to add in a CCS.
Other than that, the only other Level 3s I know in the areas I roam are Asheville (of course) and Hickory.
I read that the new Hendersonville courthouse is supposed to be getting a Level 3 charger.

I am kind of surprised more parks in NC don't have public charging. I hope that changes. There is at least 1 here in Raleigh I know of. Hopefully with time, more options will become available.
I recently took my wife's i3 over to the Linwood Road parking lot for Crowders Mountain State Park in Gastonia. They recently installed two Level 2 chargers that are free to use.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,625 Posts
Got here in a little bit of a roundabout way.

I was looking forward to getting a plug-in hybrid, because I liked driving my wife's electric a lot (an i3) but wasn't ready to give up the security of gas for range. (I like to go hiking in the mountains.) Then, I realized I would be maintaining two cars in one, and I started looking at Teslas. Their stated range is good, but I'm not a fan of the minimalist interior. Plus, the stories about the build quality.

I had resigned myself to waiting another year or two, when started noticing the good reviews from the folks who had gotten their Mach E's. After a couple of test drives of my local dealer's demo unit, and a lot of research on my own, I placed an order for a Star White Premium Extended Range RWD this past weekend. (Did i mention I'm a little paranoid about range?)

I actually went into the dealer to place the order, and they warned me that it would probably be late July at the earliest, but I figure it's a chance for me to enjoy my last ICE car a little bit more, and pay it down a little more (only 2 1/2 years old).

Curious, did anyone else tried talking to the dealer about their order?
Welcome and congrats. on a great choice. I purchased a Star Wt. Premium RWD/ER and I love it. I don't see AWD factoring into resale except in areas that need the additional drive wheels due to climate. My Audi was AWD and all in all I didn't experience much of a change from RWD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts