Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mustang Mach-E engineers included the knob as a simple solution with functions (although limited) that can make it better than something touch based. I've heard many positive things about it and this piece covers those points well. Anyone here try it out enough in person?

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
120 Posts
I mean I think there's absolutely debate about whether audio should be controlled with a big knob or not. I vote no, since I literally can't think of a time I've ever reached to the center of the car to adjust audio when the steering wheel has the button already on it.

I like the idea of the knob, but I'd rather its function be programmable - temperature, blower speed, etc. whatever the user prefers, rather than just volume.

·
Super Moderator
2,918 Posts
My wife is the one always fiddling with the volume knob when I’m driving. She loves the fact the MMe has one.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean I think there's absolutely debate about whether audio should be controlled with a big knob or not. I vote no, since I literally can't think of a time I've ever reached to the center of the car to adjust audio when the steering wheel has the button already on it.

I like the idea of the knob, but I'd rather its function be programmable - temperature, blower speed, etc. whatever the user prefers, rather than just volume.
I'm all for touch, and more so voice. Its easier for me to say "HEY Alexa... reduce volume by 25%" than to touch anything. Hopefully Ford figures that out eventually and gets rid of the knob because voice drastically change our tech experience.

How many of you already have an Alexa Echo? Or similar device?

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many of you already have an Alexa Echo? Or similar device?
I'm an Apple ecosystem person, and I was just getting comfortable with the Homepod when the mini came out, and now I have 4 minis scattered through the house, and I'm still getting used to using the voice commands to change volume, dim lights etc.

One thing that I think comes into play in the current environment, is that I am in charge of the radio, and that includes when I'm not behind the wheel. I see the knob as a plus for the passenger to change the audio, especially if their phone isn't paired to the car and need to mute the volume to take calls.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ford (Darren Palmer?) said adding the knob was based on customer market research....people wanted it. I prefer the knob and it is big enough you can find it quickly without a glance. My fingers are too big to find the steering wheel volume control quickly and it takes some time to memorize the position. Voice controls do not work so well when you have other people chattering in the car which is just when you have to turn the volume down.

Ford said they would add more functionality to the knob via OTA updates. So my opinion (without any hands on experience) is that the knob is just fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wife is the one always fiddling with the volume knob when I’m driving. She loves the fact the MMe has one.
Maybe that's the difference. I don't have the audio on with passengers in the car (or passengers in the car at all since COVID) So it's always just me adjusting volume by myself, which is 100.0% of the time via the steering wheel controls that my thumbs basically rest on while driving anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also personally saw it here in L.A., debut at Vista Ford in Woodland Hills. All I have to say is that it was a BEAUTIFUL vehicle, striking upon first glance. And yes, the knob adds familiarity and lessens having to hassle through menus to get a simple task executed. The blue one is so beautiful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like the knob to be able to quickly turn the volume down, voice command is always slow to do that, and steering wheel volume control not always handy if you are turning etc...I used at a mach e event, felt nice and responded well. I dont think it detracts from the large screen at all. Nice to have both all 3 options, voice, steering wheel and knob.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I still don't get the value of ruining a big screen with a volume knob. I've been dealing with steering wheel thumb wheel volume for years with no problem. My Audis automatically reduced volume when in reverse, when maneuvering might make the thumb wheel inconvenient, simple programming.

Maybe ruining the screen with a big volume knob is a convenience for a passenger?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you can change the volume with buttons on the steering wheel, fine. But I hope the button also works for other things.

It's been proven that touch displays are really bad in situations where you need to focus on other stuff. The Navy kicked them out for physical buttons after several accidents. They should do the same for cars. If you have to watch away from the road to see where to put your finger on a touch screen when you want to change temperature, that's just dangerous. It's why I don't want a Tesla. Speed? Look away from the road. Range? Look away from the road. Etc.

So I'm hoping Ford allows us to use the rotary dial to change other things, too, like temperature.

·
Registered
281 Posts
IMHO changing temperature worries are a canard with a decent automatic temperature control. I set mine twice a year in my Audis, slightly cooler in warm weather and slightly warmer in cold weather. Teslas have steering wheel controls, voice or automatic operation for most operations needed while underway, as the Mach E apparently does, too. Automatic lane keeping and speed control in traffic mitigate touch screen concerns. FSD makes all concerns pretty trivial.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,376 Posts
Ford (Darren Palmer?) said adding the knob was based on customer market research....people wanted it. I prefer the knob and it is big enough you can find it quickly without a glance. My fingers are too big to find the steering wheel volume control quickly and it takes some time to memorize the position. Voice controls do not work so well when you have other people chattering in the car which is just when you have to turn the volume down.

Ford said they would add more functionality to the knob via OTA updates. So my opinion (without any hands on experience) is that the knob is just fine.
You all can blame me since for the past three years I've been participating in Ford's Big Data Drive consisting of a plug in module and regular surveys. I'm a button and knob guy because I get tired of screaming at my info system over asking "Find a POI", "take me to the Strip" only to be asked which 'Club' would I like, LOL 😳. I love touch screens but not so much when I'm doing 80 MPH on I-15 (posted speed). My Fusion has a steering wheel volume button but my 'muscle memory' drives me to reach for the volume knob. I agree that it would be great for the screen knob to be multi-function since I generally don't change the volume on the entertainment system often during a drive. I hope Ford goes with the OTA updates on the knob.

·
Registered
120 Posts
IMHO changing temperature worries are a canard with a decent automatic temperature control. I set mine twice a year in my Audis, slightly cooler in warm weather and slightly warmer in cold weather. Teslas have steering wheel controls, voice or automatic operation for most operations needed while underway, as the Mach E apparently does, too. Automatic lane keeping and speed control in traffic mitigate touch screen concerns. FSD makes all concerns pretty trivial.
Some of us can't stand auto climate control and will never use it. I'm among them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also personally saw it here in L.A., debut at Vista Ford in Woodland Hills. All I have to say is that it was a BEAUTIFUL vehicle, striking upon first glance. And yes, the knob adds familiarity and lessens having to hassle through menus to get a simple task executed. The blue one is so beautiful. View attachment 3236
Missed you there . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mustang Mach-E engineers included the knob as a simple solution with functions (although limited) that can make it better than something touch based. I've heard many positive things about it and this piece covers those points well. Anyone here try it out enough in person?
Speaking of radio volume does any one know if it comes with a Sirius Radio?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts