Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Local Dealers

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a prospective Mach E owner - pretty much made up my mind. But I'm in a big dilemma and would like some suggestions from the experienced on this board. Here I make it easier to read using a table to compare buying online or local:

ConsiderationBuying onlineLocal Dealer
$5K NJ EV incentiveYes - IF incentive doesn't run out by delivery. Last year it ran out Dec. 15. This year might be sooner?No - all in-stock ones over $45K MSRP cap. Most are Select with a few Premiums (some in-transit)
$2K NJ EV incentiveN/AYes - will definitely get it
X-Plan PricingMaybe - Just joined and generated pin yesterday. If delivery is after 3 months to a dealership honoring X-Plan pricing, then yes.Not sure - one dealership said not honoring. Others didn't respond, possibly because I inquired about under $45K cars and they don't have it.
Other negotiation roomNoMaybe? There's $100 off for all dealerships. Maybe wiggle room with tradein?
Features that I wantYesMore or less - two dealerships have the red color that I want with technology package. I think one with RWD the other AWD. I'm fine with both.
Trade-inI assume it's done at the dealership it's delivered toOne dealer gave a reasonable offer

So as you can see, the major issue is if I buy locally I lose $3K in NJ incentives (I do get technology pack and/or AWD). If I buy online I can keep MSRP below $45K to qualify the full $5K NJ incentive but if delivery is too late I might miss the incentive. It's unknown if Ford will honor the incentive if their delivery made me miss it. They did last year based on the info on this forum but hard to say this year.

I appreciate any input, particularly on how long I'd have to wait for a base Select if I order now! Will decide ASAP. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi, I'm a prospective Mach E owner - pretty much made up my mind. But I'm in a big dilemma and would like some suggestions from the experienced on this board. Here I make it easier to read using a table to compare buying online or local:

$5K NJ EV incentiveYes - IF incentive doesn't run out by delivery. Last year it ran out Dec. 15. This year might be sooner?No - all in-stock ones over $45K MSRP cap. Most are Select with a few Premiums (some in-transit)
X-Plan PricingMaybe - Just joined and generated pin yesterday. If delivery is after 3 months to a dealership honoring X-Plan pricing, then yes.Not sure - one dealership said not honoring. Others didn't respond, possibly because I inquired about under $45K cars and they don't have it.
Other negotiation roomNoMaybe? There's $100 off for all dealerships. Maybe wiggle room with tradein?
Features that I wantYesMore or less - two dealerships have the red color that I want with technology package. I think one with RWD the other AWD. I'm fine with both.
Trade-inI assume it's done at the dealership it's delivered toOne dealer gave a reasonable offer

So as you can see, the major issue is if I buy locally I lose $3K in NJ incentives (I do get technology pack and/or AWD). If I buy online I can keep MSRP below $45K to qualify the full $5K NJ incentive but if delivery is too late I might miss the incentive. It's unknown if Ford will honor the incentive if their delivery made me miss it. They did last year based on the info on this forum but hard to say this year.

I appreciate any input, particularly on how long I'd have to wait for a base Select if I order now! Will decide ASAP. Thanks a lot!
I'm curious tho, to keep it under $45k msrp, you'll have to buy a select rwd standard battery with NO options. It might make it hard to sell later on. I guess for me I'd have to think is the $5k incentive worth it. That said, the NE seems to have a number of selects on the lots but don't know how many are with no options.

·
Registered
2021 MME, FE, 4X, Carbonized Gray Matallic
220 Posts

Aloha njmache, You provided a good discussion about the criteria for your decision. It is clear that this is a significant purchase for you and I'm not just talking about the price. We all make purchases for a number of reasons and have things about the purchase that is important to us. My recommendation is that you "weight" your evaluation criteria (the informationthatisin your matrix), and then develop a decision matrix (a column to record the score of the criteria) to tally the score. If your criteria is sound (that assessment is up to you) and you applied weight to the most important criteria, then your decision should be simple! Oh, I didn't cast a vote because I don't think that you need my help as you have already laid out a good start for your decision. Just finish up with the analysis of your criteria, score it, tally it, and trust your own opinion of what is important to you! Good luck my friend and hope to see pictures of your MME after you take delivery, whenever that might be!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I guess for my decision, what I really need to know is how long would it be from ordering a Select online till eventual delivery? Anyone has a guestimate? Online it says Premium is 24+ weeks, what about Select? For me, if the wait is only 1-3 months, I'll buy online and likely get $5K incentive at delivery (and possibly X-plan savings since it might be 90 day). I'm OK with a base Select without any package. But if likely the wait is 4 months+, then maybe best I just buy locally to make sure I get at least the $2K NJ incentive. I think I'd rather buy Mach E with $2K incentive than ID.4 with $5K. ID.4 has a few issues that I don't like.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I guess for my decision, what I really need to know is how long would it be from ordering a Select online till eventual delivery? Anyone has a guestimate? Online it says Premium is 24+ weeks, what about Select? For me, if the wait is only 1-3 months, I'll buy online and likely get $5K incentive at delivery (and possibly X-plan savings since it might be 90 day). I'm OK with a base Select without any package. But if likely the wait is 4 months+, then maybe best I just buy locally to make sure I get at least the $2K NJ incentive. I think I'd rather buy Mach E with $2K incentive than ID.4 with $5K. ID.4 has a few issues that I don't like.
I'm not sure that question can be answered, have you tried to build a base select on the ford site and see if it gives you a time estimate. With them trying to produce the gt in addition to the premium rt 1 and select. I can't think the select would be quicker. That said, I went into the process in january ordered a premium standard rwd and got it 17 weeks from order. IMHO (fwiw) I don't see any mach e being delivered within three months of ordering. I haven's seen anyone thus far (since january) who has gotten a car that quickly. When you add in the average transport time of over 30 days, it makes the 1-3 month range even harder to achieve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure that question can be answered, have you tried to build a base select on the ford site and see if it gives you a time estimate. With them trying to produce the gt in addition to the premium rt 1 and select. I can't think the select would be quicker. That said, I went into the process in january ordered a premium standard rwd and got it 17 weeks from order. IMHO (fwiw) I don't see any mach e being delivered within three months of ordering. I haven's seen anyone thus far (since january) who has gotten a car that quickly. When you add in the average transport time of over 30 days, it makes the 1-3 month range even harder to achieve
I see, thanks! I did read a few threads in the forum and seems most are saying even "in production" there's still a long wait, and I don't know how long it'd take to get to production stage on average. In that case, it might be best just to forgo the $3K difference in NJ incentive (and potential X-plan savings) and try to negotiate some (if any) discount with local dealerships instead. It's just a pity to not get the much bigger incentive.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought my premium from a local dealership because I was impatient. I know my brother bought his select at a dealership too, we both got lucky. I'd call around and see. I had to call to 5 dealers before one was available in the specs I wanted.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I see, thanks! I did read a few threads in the forum and seems most are saying even "in production" there's still a long wait, and I don't know how long it'd take to get to production stage on average. In that case, it might be best just to forgo the $3K difference in NJ incentive (and potential X-plan savings) and try to negotiate some (if any) discount with local dealerships instead. It's just a pity to not get the much bigger incentive.
I have heard lots of selects on lots in NE, here's a cars.com search with some selects on the lots for under 43k, don't know if they're available still or not. but a lot of people have been rewarded by shopping and traveling to get the right car. https://www.cars.com/shopping/resul...ch_e&sort=list_price&stock_type=new&zip=07303

·
Registered
286 Posts
I bought my FE off the lot. Got MSRP and x-plan. Bought in March. No state or local incentives in my state and city.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone again for all the helpful answers!
@zvez Thanks for cars.com link! I haven't tried there - only emailed all the nearest 8 Ford dealers and checked their websites, and found none. But for those on cars.com - if they're available, it might be worth the trip. I'll check.

·
Registered
2018 BMW i3 Base, 2021 Mach-E4x - Infinite Blue (ordered)
83 Posts
I wouldn't recommend ordering unless you're an extremely patient person. If you're ready to buy, then drive a few hours if necessary to get the specs you want. Try to find a dealer that other people on these forums recommend.

Reactions: zvez

·
Super Moderator
2,892 Posts
I wouldn't recommend ordering unless you're an extremely patient person. If you're ready to buy, then drive a few hours if necessary to get the specs you want. Try to find a dealer that other people on these forums recommend.
Lol, yes. It will be at least 6 months before you see your car if you order it online.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK thanks all! I decided to try to find a local one. In fact I did just find one but after calling the dealer, I was told that they don't participate in the NJ EV incentive program. I guess they didn't want the hassle. As such, I'd either have to settle for a different color (I think the red is so much better looking than all other available colors for Select) as some dealerships that do take part in NJ EV (I found the list here), or ask these participating dealers to notify me if they do get a red one under $45K. Not sure if the latter route is realistic at all. :cautious:

·
Registered
831 Posts
OK thanks all! I decided to try to find a local one. In fact I did just find one but after calling the dealer, I was told that they don't participate in the NJ EV incentive program. I guess they didn't want the hassle. As such, I'd either have to settle for a different color (I think the red is so much better looking than all other available colors for Select) as some dealerships that do take part in NJ EV (I found the list here), or ask these participating dealers to notify me if they do get a red one under $45K. Not sure if the latter route is realistic at all. :cautious:
good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
2,892 Posts
you never know, there could be a cancellation. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
69 Posts
For online orders, Select says right there 16 + weeks. That isn't anywhere near as bad as the other models 24+ weeks on the config. Don't pay ADM!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to report: On cars.com there were a few Mach E available in NJ that's under $45K MSRP, but they're all from dealerships that don't take part in NJ EV incentive program. On ford.com there were more cars available, some from dealerships that do take part in NJ EV incentive. But when I called to ask, they're all sold out. So I guess cars.com has the real inventory while ford.com has outdated info. I'll probably wait a few weeks to see if I luck out at one of the dealerships. If not, there're plenty in stock that's over $45K MSRP. I can easily buy one that I like and qualifies for $2K incentive. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For online orders, Select says right there 16 + weeks. That isn't anywhere near as bad as the other models 24+ weeks on the config. Don't pay ADM!
What's ADM? Admin fee or markup? If Select is 16+ weeks, it still cuts it tight to NJ EV's availability deadline. Last year ends Dec. 15, and this year with more EV models I assume it might run out faster.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What's ADM? Admin fee or markup? If Select is 16+ weeks, it still cuts it tight to NJ EV's availability deadline. Last year ends Dec. 15, and this year with more EV models I assume it might run out faster.
I think it's "added dealer markup" but I could be wrong but it means the car is selling over msrp. On the ford.com site where you order the car in your summary you'll see a listing of price "msrp" and "dealer selling price" which is where the markup will be reflected, it looks like this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it's "added dealer markup" but I could be wrong but it means the car is selling over msrp. On the ford.com site where you order the car in your summary you'll see a listing of price "msrp" and "dealer selling price" which is where the markup will be reflected, it looks like this.
I see. Thanks! For Select there didn't seem to be a markup on ford.com. I didn't check Premium. I think Select with technology package (with or without AWD) is good enough for me, and it qualifies for $2K incentive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts