Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Should I buy online or locally?

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Local Dealers

Votes: 5 62.5%
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2018 BMW i3 Base, 2021 Mach-E4x - Infinite Blue (ordered)
90 Posts
It's sad that there are so many dealerships that don't take part in the NJ EV incentive program. When I ordered my car, my dealer was not signed up for one of the California incentive programs. Nearly all the other dealers in the area were already signed up. I made it clear to them that they needed to sign up so I could get the $1,500 rebate. About a month later, they were signed up. If they hadn't signed up, I would have moved my order to another dealer.

Reactions: JTK44

·
Registered
891 Posts
I see. Thanks! For Select there didn't seem to be a markup on ford.com. I didn't check Premium. I think Select with technology package (with or without AWD) is good enough for me, and it qualifies for $2K incentive.
the dealer selling price varies from one dealer to another, My dealer had the $5k markup but we negotiated xplan and msrp. Looking at the price on select if your cap is $45k, you can't get either one of the packages as it will kick you over the $45k price. The comfort package is $2300 and the tech pack is $3200. with base select rwd being $42895.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the A plan so the price is set by ford. I had zero markup and got just what i wanted. It look a long time from reservation to order to getting it. I have heard that some dealers are adding a surcharge and using the increase in prices for used and new cars as the reason. I would not pay a surcharge and would go to another dealer.If you do the ESP, get the online quote and your dealer should match it. I got bumper to bumper for 8 years 100k for 1300. The dealer tried to charge 2600. I showed him the online quote and he matched it. I also got .9% financing from ford and $100 back. I voted online but that's because it was how i did it, you have to do what's best for you.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used the A plan so the price is set by ford. I had zero markup and got just what i wanted. It look a long time from reservation to order to getting it. I have heard that some dealers are adding a surcharge and using the increase in prices for used and new cars as the reason. I would not pay a surcharge and would go to another dealer.If you do the ESP, get the online quote and your dealer should match it. I got bumper to bumper for 8 years 100k for 1300. The dealer tried to charge 2600. I showed him the online quote and he matched it. I also got .9% financing from ford and $100 back. I voted online but that's because it was how i did it, you have to do what's best for you.

good luck
where did you find bumper to bumper for 1300 8 years ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
where did you find bumper to bumper for 1300 8 years ?
I searched for ford esp trying to decide if it was worth it. I found a thread in one of the mach-e forums pointing to Lombard Ford. The base price for 8 year, 100k, 100 deductable was around 1534 but if you fill in the discount info, your email, they send you a code for $190 off. Heres a screen capture of mine. go to this site:Ford Extended Warranty | Genuine Ford Protect ESP My dealer matched the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I searched for ford esp trying to decide if it was worth it. I found a thread in one of the mach-e forums pointing to Lombard Ford. The base price for 8 year, 100k, 100 deductable was around 1534 but if you fill in the discount info, your email, they send you a code for $190 off. Heres a screen capture of mine. go to this site:Ford Extended Warranty | Genuine Ford Protect ESP My dealer matched the price. View attachment 6082
Does premium care equate to bumper to bumper warranty ?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Does premium care equate to bumper to bumper warranty ?
keep in mind the 8 years includes the original 3 year warranty that comes with the car. And also the battery already comes with an 8 year warranty. I actually opted for this because of so much tech in this car. I've never actually bought an extended warranty before, but thinking at how much just a failed sync 4 screen would cost, I thought best to do it.
It covers everything, I opted for the $100 deductible which is per occurrence. It's a legit ford warranty. I paid a bit more @$1900 and I did know I could get online for around $1600 but just went ahead and did it at time of purchase. I hope I never need it. This gives a rundown of the Premium care plan https://fordprotect.ford.com/premiumcare/

·
Registered
4 Posts
keep in mind the 8 years includes the original 3 year warranty that comes with the car. And also the battery already comes with an 8 year warranty. I actually opted for this because of so much tech in this car. I've never actually bought an extended warranty before, but thinking at how much just a failed sync 4 screen would cost, I thought best to do it.
It covers everything, I opted for the $100 deductible which is per occurrence. It's a legit ford warranty. I paid a bit more @$1900 and I did know I could get online for around $1600 but just went ahead and did it at time of purchase. I hope I never need it. This gives a rundown of the Premium care plan https://fordprotect.ford.com/premiumcare/
thanks. I was being offered bumper to bumper warranty at the time of buying for 5 years (3 years original included) for 2400. So 2400 for just 2 year. Hence, wondering how premium care differs from bumper to bumper what I was offered. Or I was just getting a really bad deal :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
OK, everyone, here is one person's experience from start to finish. Ford dealer located in San Antonio TX.
I ordered a MME
Premium,
Infinite Blue Metallic,
Black Onyx interior,
RWD,
ER Battery,
on Mar 15, 2021.
I checked everywhere I could on almost a daily basis to find out status. Almost none if it came directly from Ford (none from the dealer), but using a variety of other sites, managed to piece together what was happening. Here is my experience (note I pick up the car tomorrow, the day after this post):

View attachment 6083

129 day delivery.

Note that the Muncie ramp in KS is the railroad ramp that serves TX (Union Pacific I think). There are also ramps in/around Kansas City that are ramps for different railroads and destinations in the USA, such as Argentine ramp, Muncie ramp, Voltz ramp and perhaps others.

Am really stoked to get the car tomorrow.
Jim

·
Registered
286 Posts
OK, everyone, here is one person's experience from start to finish. Ford dealer located in San Antonio TX.
I ordered a MME
Premium,
Infinite Blue Metallic,
Black Onyx interior,
RWD,
ER Battery,
on Mar 15, 2021.
I checked everywhere I could on almost a daily basis to find out status. Almost none if it came directly from Ford (none from the dealer), but using a variety of other sites, managed to piece together what was happening. Here is my experience (note I pick up the car tomorrow, the day after this post):

View attachment 6083

129 day delivery.

Note that the Muncie ramp in KS is the railroad ramp that serves TX (Union Pacific I think). There are also ramps in/around Kansas City that are ramps for different railroads and destinations in the USA, such as Argentine ramp, Muncie ramp, Voltz ramp and perhaps others.

Am really stoked to get the car tomorrow.
Jim
You ordered your car the day I picked up my FE here in Houston. If you can, do a road trip to Houston for our all Mustang car show in September.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm a prospective Mach E owner - pretty much made up my mind. But I'm in a big dilemma and would like some suggestions from the experienced on this board. Here I make it easier to read using a table to compare buying online or local:

ConsiderationBuying onlineLocal Dealer
$5K NJ EV incentiveYes - IF incentive doesn't run out by delivery. Last year it ran out Dec. 15. This year might be sooner?No - all in-stock ones over $45K MSRP cap. Most are Select with a few Premiums (some in-transit)
$2K NJ EV incentiveN/AYes - will definitely get it
X-Plan PricingMaybe - Just joined and generated pin yesterday. If delivery is after 3 months to a dealership honoring X-Plan pricing, then yes.Not sure - one dealership said not honoring. Others didn't respond, possibly because I inquired about under $45K cars and they don't have it.
Other negotiation roomNoMaybe? There's $100 off for all dealerships. Maybe wiggle room with tradein?
Features that I wantYesMore or less - two dealerships have the red color that I want with technology package. I think one with RWD the other AWD. I'm fine with both.
Trade-inI assume it's done at the dealership it's delivered toOne dealer gave a reasonable offer

So as you can see, the major issue is if I buy locally I lose $3K in NJ incentives (I do get technology pack and/or AWD). If I buy online I can keep MSRP below $45K to qualify the full $5K NJ incentive but if delivery is too late I might miss the incentive. It's unknown if Ford will honor the incentive if their delivery made me miss it. They did last year based on the info on this forum but hard to say this year.

I appreciate any input, particularly on how long I'd have to wait for a base Select if I order now! Will decide ASAP. Thanks a lot!
Hi, I'm a prospective Mach E owner - pretty much made up my mind. But I'm in a big dilemma and would like some suggestions from the experienced on this board. Here I make it easier to read using a table to compare buying online or local:

ConsiderationBuying onlineLocal Dealer
$5K NJ EV incentiveYes - IF incentive doesn't run out by delivery. Last year it ran out Dec. 15. This year might be sooner?No - all in-stock ones over $45K MSRP cap. Most are Select with a few Premiums (some in-transit)
$2K NJ EV incentiveN/AYes - will definitely get it
X-Plan PricingMaybe - Just joined and generated pin yesterday. If delivery is after 3 months to a dealership honoring X-Plan pricing, then yes.Not sure - one dealership said not honoring. Others didn't respond, possibly because I inquired about under $45K cars and they don't have it.
Other negotiation roomNoMaybe? There's $100 off for all dealerships. Maybe wiggle room with tradein?
Features that I wantYesMore or less - two dealerships have the red color that I want with technology package. I think one with RWD the other AWD. I'm fine with both.
Trade-inI assume it's done at the dealership it's delivered toOne dealer gave a reasonable offer

So as you can see, the major issue is if I buy locally I lose $3K in NJ incentives (I do get technology pack and/or AWD). If I buy online I can keep MSRP below $45K to qualify the full $5K NJ incentive but if delivery is too late I might miss the incentive. It's unknown if Ford will honor the incentive if their delivery made me miss it. They did last year based on the info on this forum but hard to say this year.

I appreciate any input, particularly on how long I'd have to wait for a base Select if I order now! Will decide ASAP. Thanks a lot!
Buyer Beware! I ordered my beautiful Mach E online on September 29, 2020 and waited 9 long months for it to come in. I followed its progress almost daily on the Ford portal, and was in constant communication with the dealership‘s sales manager. When it arrived 2 weeks ago (July 8, 2021) the salesman called to arrange for my delivery date. At that time he casually mentioned that they were marking it up $6000, but for me it would be $3000. I had a contracted MSRP sale price through Ford, already accepted by the dealer. I contacted Ford and they said there’s nothing they can do about dealers marking up the cars. You cannot even imagine my disgust and disappointment. This was sheer financial greed and a level of unprofessionalism that still shocks me. Needless to say, I refused to pay more than MSRP, and they sold MY special order car to someone else who was more than willing to pay the markup. This has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. This is just a horrible time to be buying a car because dealers can do whatever they want with the pricing and know someone will buy it. I urge anyone who has ordered a Mach E online to go to the dealership and insist on signing a document confirming what you’re going to pay for the car. Even though the Ford online process states you’ll be getting the car for the agreed-upon amount, that is not the case. An unscrupulous dealer will ignore that. This has been a heartbreaking experience, and is a big smear on FORD. I will never trust a car dealership again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Buyer Beware! I ordered my beautiful Mach E online on September 29, 2020 and waited 9 long months for it to come in. I followed its progress almost daily on the Ford portal, and was in constant communication with the dealership‘s sales manager. When it arrived 2 weeks ago (July 8, 2021) the salesman called to arrange for my delivery date. At that time he casually mentioned that they were marking it up $6000, but for me it would be $3000. I had a contracted MSRP sale price through Ford, already accepted by the dealer. I contacted Ford and they said there’s nothing they can do about dealers marking up the cars. You cannot even imagine my disgust and disappointment. This was sheer financial greed and a level of unprofessionalism that still shocks me. Needless to say, I refused to pay more than MSRP, and they sold MY special order car to someone else who was more than willing to pay the markup. This has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. This is just a horrible time to be buying a car because dealers can do whatever they want with the pricing and know someone will buy it. I urge anyone who has ordered a Mach E online to go to the dealership and insist on signing a document confirming what you’re going to pay for the car. Even though the Ford online process states you’ll be getting the car for the agreed-upon amount, that is not the case. An unscrupulous dealer will ignore that. This has been a heartbreaking experience, and is a big smear on FORD. I will never trust a car dealership again.
Welcome to the world of dealerships
It's always been that way for every brand of car with a hot seller or speciality car. Most Shelby GT 500s are going for 20k over MSRP. It's all legal. In my case I was going to order the Mach-E PGT but my dealer marked them up 5k when order bank opened. Luckily I found a FE at another dealer at MSRP and x-plan after I told my original dealer to stick the GT up his a**.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,950 Posts
Suggest you post name of dealer to make others aware.

This dealer deserves as much bad PR as is possible!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I see. Thanks! For Select there didn't seem to be a markup on ford.com. I didn't check Premium. I think Select with technology package (with or without AWD) is good enough for me, and it qualifies for $2K incentive.
Where in NJ are you??....I was just at All Amer Ford Hackensack where I bought my mache.....Nelson, one of the managers said they have 6 or so MME's, mostly Selects with one of the packages, so only eligible for the $2000 incentive.....he said Premiums are sold before they even get to the dealer.....this is a big Ford dealer with quite a few locations, I've only dealt with Hackensack......no ADM, don't know about x plan......they are also installing 4 or so level 2 chargers in the front of the dealer ......good people to deal with, fair.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi C-max, I have a question about your purchasing experience at All American - when your Mach E order was delivered to the dealer and you were ready to close the deal, did they attempt to mark it up over the MSRP (from the original order)?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi C-max, I have a question about your purchasing experience at All American - when your Mach E order was delivered to the dealer and you were ready to close the deal, did they attempt to mark it up over the MSRP (from the original order)?
I reserved with them, converted to an order through them, and when the car came in, told me trade in value, and gave them a check.....no ADM, and my understanding from talking to Nelson Minier, still no ADM.....again these are the guys from their Hackensack location.....if you are interested, use my name, Phil, when you talk to Nelson and no, I get nothing from them.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I reserved with them, converted to an order through them, and when the car came in, told me trade in value, and gave them a check.....no ADM, and my understanding from talking to Nelson Minier, still no ADM.....again these are the guys from their Hackensack location.....if you are interested, use my name, Phil, when you talk to Nelson and no, I get nothing from them.....
Great, thanks Phil! I placed the order online, and paired the order with All American Ford - Old Bridge. I followed up with them so they pushed the order through to Dealer Accepted. Now just the long waiting game! I heard horror stories of massive dealer mark-ups when customers tried to pick up their orders from other dealers around the country - I know that All American in NJ as a good rep online, but just checking to see if there were any issues like that from an actual customer. Good to hear!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great, thanks Phil! I placed the order online, and paired the order with All American Ford - Old Bridge. I followed up with them so they pushed the order through to Dealer Accepted. Now just the long waiting game! I heard horror stories of massive dealer mark-ups when customers tried to pick up their orders from other dealers around the country - I know that All American in NJ as a good rep online, but just checking to see if there were any issues like that from an actual customer. Good to hear!
[/QUGood luck, hope Old Bridge guys are as good as the guys up here.....what, may I ask, did you order??.....remember the $45000 and $55000 limits for the NJ incentives.....Hackensack is a dealer accepting the state POS incentives, so whatever amount you qualify for comes right off at deal time, I'm assuming Old Bridge too, being part of the All American group......also no sales tax and no inspection sticker.....check with them on occasion, they might get in a car you could get early.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered the Premium, 4 wheel drive, Extended range, red - so maybe doesn't qualify for the incentives. Right, the no sales tax is awesome. Yes, will definitely check in with them on any cancelled orders, or something like that. I know the trim I ordered moves within a day, if one even frees up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That's horrible! I would refuse the delivery too, but it'd be incredibly infuriating and frustrating to see a car one waited 9 months for got sold to others out of greed. Complain to BBB. Won't get the car back but will make them think twice to keep doing this.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts