Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric vehicle maker Polestar, owned by Volvo Cars and its parent China’s Geely, is recalling all new Polestar 2 cars, says Swedish business daily Dagens Industri. Reports say the vehicles shut down with no warning, even while driving.

Polestar recall

·
Registered
210 Posts
Imagine it stopping at night on a busy interstate while cruising along in the fast lane. Yikes!

Shame... hope they sort it out quickly. Software can kill. With more dependency on electronics (on BEVs but on also ICE vehicles), there needs to be better, enlightened focus on safety. Can't have hackers disrupt autonomous driving.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was watching the first episode of 'Upload' the other day and there was a great scene where the self-driving car almost hit a pedestrian. The protagonist asked his girlfriend if she had her car set to 'ignore pedestrians' and she admitted she did. Discussion about vehicle passengers being more important than pedestrians ensued. I'd be interested to hear how Ford's future software will react in situations of pedestrian / vehicle conflict.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
753 Posts
Electric vehicle maker Polestar, owned by Volvo Cars and its parent China’s Geely, is recalling all new Polestar 2 cars, says Swedish business daily Dagens Industri. Reports say the vehicles shut down with no warning, even while driving.

Polestar recall
I don't understand why they require the car be brought to a dealer. Maybe they should take a tip from Ford and Tesla on OTA updates.

·
Super Moderator
1,194 Posts
I don't understand why they require the car be brought to a dealer. Maybe they should take a tip from Ford and Tesla on OTA updates.
It may be something physical, like a faulty sensor or something.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You might be surprised how often this happens in electronics. A system can get into a latch up condition which is persistent even after power down. Think of the little hard reset button one pushes a paper clip through.

I just hope no one gets hurt.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
753 Posts
You might be surprised how often this happens in electronics. A system can get into a latch up condition which is persistent even after power down. Think of the little hard reset button one pushes a paper clip through.

I just hope no one gets hurt.
I guess the good news is that they just released the vehicle for sale so there probably aren't that many on the roads. The article stated a "software glitch" but they probably haven't tracked the why.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Poor Polestar also just got a low 233 epa range rating..
Could it end up in the TJ Maxx bargin bin along with the Jagual I-Pace and Audi E-Tron shortly after introduction?

That said... MME AWD ER is ~20% better? I'm hoping it'll come in higher than expected.

·
Super Moderator
1,194 Posts
Could it end up in the TJ Maxx bargin bin along with the Jagual I-Pace and Audi E-Tron shortly after introduction?

That said... MME AWD ER is ~20% better? I'm hoping it'll come in higher than expected.
Seems like Polestar overpromised. They were targeting 275 miles EPA. They fell short on the WLTP target as well.

From all indications so far, it seems Ford took a conservative approach. They reserved a generous 10% battery capacity on the MMe. If they were shy of their EPA target, they could just reduce this buffer to meet their expected number.
I am also hoping the actual range meets or exceeds Fords targets for the MMe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seems like Polestar overpromised. They were targeting 275 miles EPA. They fell short on the WLTP target as well.

From all indications so far, it seems Ford took a conservative approach. They reserved a generous 10% battery capacity on the MMe. If they were shy of their EPA target, they could just reduce this buffer to meet their expected number.
I am also hoping the actual range meets or exceeds Fords targets for the MMe.
Ford seems to have put out conservative numbers for the MME across the board. So far they've been over-delivering, which is good for us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts