Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With an MSRP starting from $59,900 the Polestar 2 can be a great alternative the Mustang Mach-E.

Yea, one is a sedan the other an SUV/Crossover but if you can get past that, and other things that make the Polestar different, then it becomes a great option. Specs, features, options, packages and even performance (see the configurator) seem reasonable and i'm curious to know what everyone thinks.

Specs - Ford Mustang Mach-E vs Polestar 2
FORD MUSTANG MACH-EPOLESTAR 2
Battery75.5 kWh / 98.8 kWh78 kWh
Horsepower255 horsepower / 459 horsepower408 horsepower
Torque306 pound-feet / 459 pound-feet487 pound-feet
Range210 to 330 milles275 miles
Drive TypeRWD / AWDAWD
0 to 60 MPH3.5 to 6.5 seconds4.7 seconds
Top Speedn/an/a

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Mach-E GT torque figure is 612 lb/ft, not 459.
Those figures came from TopSpeed, they aren't the most accurate but still decent coverage of the Mustang Mach-E vs Polestar 2. Here are some other differences between both models that they pointed out:

Some people describe the Polestar 2 as a high-riding electric sedan. Others call it an electric crossover.
Regardless of what you call it, there's no denying that the Polestar 2 is one of the best electric cars on the market today.
Forget about its drop-dead gorgeous aesthetics in this space. The Polestar 2 masterfully blends design with performance in a way that the Ford Mustang Mach-E hopes to achieve. The Polestar 2 utilizes a 78-kWh battery, but it’s still the most potent among the electric crossovers in its segment. All told, the Polestar 2 produces 408 horsepower and 487 pound-feet of torque, good enough to sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds to go with a range of 275 miles. The numbers are impressive, but it’s the way the Polestar 2 handles on the road that really makes the model stand out. It is one of the most poised electric crossovers you can get your hands on. It’s well-balanced to the point of predictability, yet there are moments where you can unleash it and feel the crossover’s motorsports roots with every corner and straight it conquers. Throw in the $6,600 “Performance Pack,” and you also get Brembo brakes, 20-inch alloy wheels, and a set of Öhlins suspension dampers that are tuned manually at each wheel, providing improved balance without losing any of its drive characteristics. I’m optimistic that the Ford Mustang Mach-E can match wits with the Polestar 2, particularly the Mach-E GT. The latter will have more power at its disposal so all that remains is for the ‘Stang EV crossover to perform as well, maybe even better, than the Polestar 2.

·
Registered
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
321 Posts
My nearest Polestar dealer is 1,180 km away. This makes me reluctant to go for a test drive and I have soooo many questions about service

·
Registered
623 Posts
My nearest Polestar dealer is 1,180 km away. This makes me reluctant to go for a test drive and I have soooo many questions about service
As an American (and thus pathologically opposed to the metric system), I think 1160km is only around 6 miles so that isn't really too far. Or is it 60,000 miles? I know there's a 6 and a decimal point in there somewhere...

·
Registered
257 Posts
As an American (and thus pathologically opposed to the metric system), I think 1160km is only around 6 miles so that isn't really too far. Or is it 60,000 miles? I know there's a 6 and a decimal point in there somewhere...
1160km=720.79mi.
1180km=733.22mi.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Continued Tesla build quality issues might motivate more people to go with Polestar even with dealers further out. I rather make the odd long trip if it means only making trips to the dealer for service

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
A Detroit Free Press article mentions that Geely will leverage the Volvo service centers to support the Polestar.
How close is the nearest Volvo service center?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking at both these cars and did a test drive with a Polestar 2 on Friday. I liked it very much overall, but the drive and seats were much stiffer than what I'm used to. So the representative invited me over for a second test drive. I was driving one on 20" wheels, hoping to get the 19" ones next time.

Range was a bit scary: after 75km, battery was down by 30%. But it was just above freezing, car not preconditioned and, hey, it was a test drive. Must feel that torque during a test drive! So realistically, winter range should be over 300km with summer range approaching 400, which is also the estimate of ev-database. So it would seem like it's comparable to a Mach-E AWD with a semi-extended range ;)

Does anybody here have experience with both cars? How do you feel about split-screen Android Auto (MME) vs Android Automotive (Polestar)? How about the sound of B&O (MME) vs Harman Kardon (Polestar)? Drive? Seats? I can go see the MME end of this month when it's in town on a road trip but I don't think I'll be able to drive one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry but winter range is nowhere near 300 km on the Polestar. 240 km in good conditions around 0C. No battery preconditioning so owners report 10% drop in battery SOC within 15 km . I think they have a great car but it is unfinished; no app, phone as a key not working, no preconditioning. And owners report constantly loosing the 4G signal. Then Google is useless. I had a reservation on one since March 2019 which I cancelled due to all these issues. Now waiting on my Mach-E.

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
146 Posts
I'm looking at both these cars and did a test drive with a Polestar 2 on Friday. I liked it very much overall, but the drive and seats were much stiffer than what I'm used to. So the representative invited me over for a second test drive. I was driving one on 20" wheels, hoping to get the 19" ones next time.

Range was a bit scary: after 75km, battery was down by 30%. But it was just above freezing, car not preconditioned and, hey, it was a test drive. Must feel that torque during a test drive! So realistically, winter range should be over 300km with summer range approaching 400, which is also the estimate of ev-database. So it would seem like it's comparable to a Mach-E AWD with a semi-extended range ;)

Does anybody here have experience with both cars? How do you feel about split-screen Android Auto (MME) vs Android Automotive (Polestar)? How about the sound of B&O (MME) vs Harman Kardon (Polestar)? Drive? Seats? I can go see the MME end of this month when it's in town on a road trip but I don't think I'll be able to drive one.
I have owned 4 Volvo's. Great cars no doubt. I have found Volvo has some of the best seats for comfort during long distance trips. Polestar 2, Volvo Recharge and Tesla Model Y were all on my list to compare against Mach E. I was biased with wanting a BEV Volvo or Polestar and Tesla was also ahead of Mach E initially. Then after a thorough review and comparison I reserved/ordered a FE Mach E.

Then I waited to see the reviews in December and sat in a premium model, including testing the infotainment system. I stand by my decision to go with the MME FE and should take delivery sometime this month. I will test drive before handing over payment. But I don't expect to be disappointed.

Volvo going with Google is just not the same level of capability as MME Ford Sync 4. It is very impressive.

I think the biggest challenge with Volvo and Polestar 2 is the cars are converted from ICE models. The MME, Tesla, VW ID are all true electric cars from clean sheet of paper. The same with my 2017 Chevy Bolt which is a great car but just too small for my continued needs.

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you will go wrong with a Polestar 2 if that is your choice. Cars are fashion and style choices so that should be a big factor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry but winter range is nowhere near 300 km on the Polestar. 240 km in good conditions around 0C. No battery preconditioning so owners report 10% drop in battery SOC within 15 km . I think they have a great car but it is unfinished; no app, phone as a key not working, no preconditioning. And owners report constantly loosing the 4G signal. Then Google is useless. I had a reservation on one since March 2019 which I cancelled due to all these issues. Now waiting on my Mach-E.
Thanks for your feedback, Guyf. Is the range a first-hand experience? People on the Polestar forum seem to claim higher ranges at 0C, but good to hear from different sources.

As for the car being unfinished - welcome to the OTA world. The Tesla S was unfinished when it was first launched and so is the Volkswagen. It's not nice, but at least it gets fixed without trips to the garage. Not defending them - I'm impartial and also seriously looking at the Mach E. That's why I'm here.

Volvo going with Google is just not the same level of capability as MME Ford Sync 4. It is very impressive.

I think the biggest challenge with Volvo and Polestar 2 is the cars are converted from ICE models. The MME, Tesla, VW ID are all true electric cars from clean sheet of paper. The same with my 2017 Chevy Bolt which is a great car but just too small for my continued needs.

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you will go wrong with a Polestar 2 if that is your choice. Cars are fashion and style choices so that should be a big factor.
That's very interesting. I'm looking forward to visiting the Mach E and I'm hoping that I can actually drive it. I can't really compare a sound system if there's no road sound. It may sound fine, but does it cope with the noise well?

Sync 4 sounds cool. The split-screen for Android Auto is a big plus - but so is Android Automotive. Both much better than implementations like VW.

As for the fashion statement - very true. I like the style and simplicity of the Polestar. The details are well thought out. It makes for a zen experience. Whereas the reviewers of the VW get irritated by the difficult controls within the hour. Looking forward to finding out where on that spectrum Ford sits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I did road test the Polestar however my data is coming from the web as well. Consumption seem to be about the same as a Mach-E Long Range, AWD but with 15 or so more usable kWh, obviously the Mach-E gets better range. Lack of Polestar dealership is also an issue, I would be 260 km from the closest Polestar service point, about 8Km from Ford dealer. And here in Quebec the Mach-E is eligible to a $8000 subsidy while the Polestar is not.

And yes, I understand the Polestar app will eventually work, but the Ford one works now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I did road test the Polestar however my data is coming from the web as well. Consumption seem to be about the same as a Mach-E Long Range, AWD but with 15 or so more usable kWh, obviously the Mach-E gets better range. Lack of Polestar dealership is also an issue, I would be 260 km from the closest Polestar service point, about 8Km from Ford dealer. And here in Quebec the Mach-E is eligible to a $8000 subsidy while the Polestar is not.

And yes, I understand the Polestar app will eventually work, but the Ford one works now.
Thanks for the input. Here in Belgium, all BEVs are created equal. I will also put it on my company. And I understood for recalls, they used the Volvo garages, which are plentiful. So as for the context, I’m equal between Ford or Polestar.

As for the range. When I simulate on ABRP with more realistic ranges (based on ev-database), there are two extremes. On the one hand, the MME ER and the VW ID.3 Pro S 77kWh are very similar. On a 1300km trip, they're about 10 minutes apart. The Mustang drives faster in Germany but needs more time to charge :D The other side has the MME SR and the Kia. While the Kia has a longer range, it charges much more slowly so you're stuck on the side of the road a lot. The MME SR needs 2 more charging stops. They are both about 1h30min slower. Bang in the middle comes the Polestar, at about half an hour slower than the faster cars, so 1 hour faster than the slow ones.

It's just a simulation, but it's still interesting. For me, a lot will depend on the experience in the cabin: seats, Sync 4, B&O.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts