Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Phone or Key Fob - What do you plan on using more?

• Phone

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Key Fob

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Both

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Ford and other car companies are pushing the idea of using your phone as a key. But personally, I'm just used to reaching into my pocket for my key rather than unlocking my phone.

I'm curious to know what everyone else's preference is so I created a poll to find out. Which are you planning on using more for your Mach-E? Your Phone or the Key Fob?

·
Super Moderator
528 Posts
I use the key fob. I don’t have to touch it, and It never leaves my pocket. The car senses proximity, and activates the driver side unlock.

Same as when inside, foot on the brake and press the start button. No interaction with the key fob needed.

If the phone can work the same way without me interacting with it, then i may use the phone also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe the phone-as-a-key will work just like the key fab; you won't need to unlock your phone, or even take it out of your pocket, in order to lock or unlock the door or turn it on. It will just detect your phone when you get near and allow you to use the push button on the door.

I plan to just keep the key fob at home so it is one less thing to carry around and have it act like a spare/backup key in case someone needs to borrow the car or my phone dies. Hopefully there is a way you can unlock and start up the car using a PIN code (the B pillar next to the door has a PIN code entry for unlocking... so hopefully the onboard computer also has a similar manual method to start up the car) in case your phone dies while away from home.

·
Super Moderator
528 Posts
I believe the phone-as-a-key will work just like the key fab; you won't need to unlock your phone, or even take it out of your pocket, in order to lock or unlock the door or turn it on. It will just detect your phone when you get near and allow you to use the push button on the door.

I plan to just keep the key fob at home so it is one less thing to carry around and have it act like a spare/backup key in case someone needs to borrow the car or my phone dies. Hopefully there is a way you can unlock and start up the car using a PIN code (the B pillar next to the door has a PIN code entry for unlocking... so hopefully the onboard computer also has a similar manual method to start up the car) in case your phone dies while away from home.
Apparently, you will be able to enter the vehicle with a pin, and have a different pin to start the car from the center console. I guess this is a good backup if you lose or break your phone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know Ford and other car companies are pushing the idea of using your phone as a key. But personally, I'm just used to reaching into my pocket for my key rather than unlocking my phone.

I'm curious to know what everyone else's preference is so I created a poll to find out. Which are you planning on using more for your Mach-E? Your Phone or the Key Fob?
I have a key fob with my Explorer and never used it unless I was opening my tailgate from a distance. I was able to unlock and lock my car by touching the door handle. Also, the car has the digital pad but I never used it.

If unlocking and locking can be programmed, then phone is fine. However, if phone dies, i think the battery in the key fob lasts MUCH longer. With that, i might want both to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgandy Velvet Platinum
338 Posts
My 2018 Energi Platinum operates by touching the door handle but you must have the fob in your pocket. I can however lock, open and start my car remotely using the My Ford Mobile phone app

·
Super Moderator
528 Posts
My 2018 Energi Platinum operates by touching the door handle but you must have the fob in your pocket. I can however lock, open and start my car remotely using the My Ford Mobile phone app
The big difference with the mach-e is now you can also drive away with just your phone.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
554 Posts
I voted phone but that's assuming it will act the same as the fob. My hope is the Mach E will detect the presence of the phone in my pocket and allow me to open it by pressing the door button or passing my foot under the bumper.

However, if it's like the implementation of phone as a room key in most hotels I'll use the fob. With most hotel systems, it is so much slower to use the phone I don't usually bother. Pull out phone, open app, click open door, hold next to door, door unlocks. I could use my card key and pour myself a drink in that time. Worthless.

I've seen an ad for the BMW phone as key and it sounds like the hotel room key implementation. I really hope Ford does better.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I voted phone but that's assuming it will act the same as the fob. My hope is the Mach E will detect the presence of the phone in my pocket and allow me to open it by pressing the door button or passing my foot under the bumper.

However, if it's like the implementation of phone as a room key in most hotels I'll use the fob. With most hotel systems, it is so much slower to use the phone I don't usually bother. Pull out phone, open app, click open door, hold next to door, door unlocks. I could use my card key and pour myself a drink in that time. Worthless.

I've seen an ad for the BMW phone as key and it sounds like the hotel room key implementation. I really hope Ford does better.
I disagree a little on the hotel phone apps. I find it is a matter of using the digital key differently than the plastic card key. The trick is to take your phone out as you walk down the hallway, and press the green icon as you walk up. The door opens before you even get to the door, which is as fast, and maybe a microsecond faster, than the plastic key.

However, the plastic key is way more reliable, so my disagreement is pretty minor.

I do think that using the phone COULD be better than the fob for the MME, but I have to see it before I know.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I disagree a little on the hotel phone apps. I find it is a matter of using the digital key differently than the plastic card key. The trick is to take your phone out as you walk down the hallway, and press the green icon as you walk up. The door opens before you even get to the door, which is as fast, and maybe a microsecond faster, than the plastic key.
No, the trick is to remember you have to start the process down the hall or in the elevator so you can pull up the app and press the button. I'm hoping Ford's system talks to the phone in my pocket.

If I have to remember in advance, pull the phone out of my pocket, and press a button then I might as well just use an old style fob where I have to press the button. Even my 2016 Leaf does better than that as did my 2011 Prius.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
No, the trick is to remember you have to start the process down the hall or in the elevator so you can pull up the app and press the button. I'm hoping Ford's system talks to the phone in my pocket.

If I have to remember in advance, pull the phone out of my pocket, and press a button then I might as well just use an old style fob where I have to press the button. Even my 2016 Leaf does better than that as did my 2011 Prius.
I agree on the MME. I don't want to take the phone out to activate unlock. Agreed. I was merely pointing out that the hotel digital key works okay IF you remember to start the unlock process before you get to the door.

But with the MME, if I can leave the fob at home, and the phone gives equivalent functionality (ie, works in my pocket) that would be great. And if I don't have either the phone or the fob, I'm hoping that I can use the five buttons on the door to open it, and some method to start it, without either the fob or the phone. That would be perfect.

·
Registered
554 Posts
And if I don't have either the phone or the fob, I'm hoping that I can use the five buttons on the door to open it, and some method to start it, without either the fob or the phone. That would be perfect.
That mode of opening the car and starting is already confirmed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here is how it works. Your phone is pre-paired with the car. The phone is in your pocket. You walk up to the car and you open the door. No unlocking the phone or even touching it. It uses Bluetooth.

You can use the app to unlock the car via the cell modem in the car, but that is slower and can be done from anywhere.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here is how it works. Your phone is pre-paired with the car. The phone is in your pocket. You walk up to the car and you open the door. No unlocking the phone or even touching it. It uses Bluetooth.

You can use the app to unlock the car via the cell modem in the car, but that is slower and can be done from anywhere.

Thanks @zhackwyatt. That's exactly what we were looking for. I'm back to my original answer: phone.

My wife pointed something out yesterday: she forgot to put her keys in her pocket yesterday but had her phone. With PAK she would have driven off and been locked out of the house when she returned and I was gone. PAK for home next?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks @zhackwyatt. That's exactly what we were looking for. I'm back to my original answer: phone.

My wife pointed something out yesterday: she forgot to put her keys in her pocket yesterday but had her phone. With PAK she would have driven off and been locked out of the house when she returned and I was gone. PAK for home next?
I have an electronic door lock with keypad. And 2 big dogs, so half the time we don't lock the front door.

·
Registered
135 Posts

The other downside is if you ever valet. It's easier with the fob. Otherwise the car sets up a temporary pass code that you can give the valet.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The other downside is if you ever valet. It's easier with the fob. Otherwise the car sets up a temporary pass code that you can give the valet.
Good point, although I probably valet park a car I own about once a year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts