Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on Long Island and we have lost power and will be without power through Thursday/Friday. This is not unusual where I live. We lose on average power 4 to 5 times per year.

We have a whole house Generac 20KW standby automatic generator powered by natural gas. We are fine. The 20KW can handle two central AC, dryer, range, etc. - all our house needs.

If I use the Ford charging station, 32 amps, 240 volts, how do I determine whether or not my 20KW generator can handle charging my MachE?

I am mechanical, but the calculations are beyond my ability and when I went to the Internet I could not figure out how to use the calculators.

I am sure there is a simple conversion.

Thanks in advance!

(PS: Of course with an ICE this was not a concern - just another thing to think about with a BEV)

·
Registered
50 Posts
If everything is running off of 240v then your max output is roughly 83amps. I don't know your driving habits but it might be wiser in your power outage situations to use the charger at 120v to ensure you have enough amperage for your household vitals.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My generator has "shedding": the AC are not priority: the AC will only come on when there is enough power - if not they are "shed". So if everything is running, and I plug in at 240 volts, and there is not enough power, the transfer switch will "shed" turn off the AC.

Can you show the formula to arrive at 83 amps?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts

My generator has "shedding": the AC are not priority: the AC will only come on when there is enough power - if not they are "shed". So if everything is running, and I plug in at 240 volts, and there is not enough power, the transfer switch will "shed" turn off the AC.

Can you show the formula to arrive at 83 amps?

Thanks.
Watts=Volts X Amps
Amps=Watts/Volts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ford charger that comes with the MachE is 32 amps, 240 volts. Is that then 7,680 watts or .7680 KW?

I would think it would be more.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it and thanks!

My 20 KW generator will be more than sufficient to carry the Ford charger and at least one AC or maybe even two!

Good news!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yep, unless you have really big AC's --- both ON will be less load then the Ford Charger.
Remember also, the Ford Charger can be controlled via the wifi app to a much lower load
if you have all night to make your desired charge level.

If you have an electric hot water heater --- that will be a high load when on, close to 6 KW.

Reactions: JTK44

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, unless you have really big AC's --- both ON will be less load then the Ford Charger.
Remember also, the Ford Charger can be controlled via the wifi app to a much lower load
if you have all night to make your desired charge level.

If you have an electric hot water heater --- that will be a high load when on, close to 6 KW.
Thanks!

Appreciate the quick reply!

I do not have an electric hot water heater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts