Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
'It all makes for an interesting price comparison for me here in NJ.

Mach-E AWD ER with no paint upgrade plus destination fee and all credits: $44,300 and no sales tax.

Tesla Model Y AWD LR with no paint upgrade plus destination and doc fee and all credits: $46,100 and no sales tax.

No one has answered factually that NJ Ford dealers wont charge a doc fee as it is never included in an MSRP price quote, just added after. Believe me dealers never waive it in NJ. If you want to negotiate the dollars out and they give in, they will only show the discounted amount in the car price, the doc fee stays on the order form.

For all practical purposes the difference is nominal. It will boil down to which car I like (purely subjective), range and tech. I have no info on my other choice, the Audi Q4 Etron, at this time. With the recent progress Tesla has made to date, I'm not worried about fit and finish in my choice next fall. I suspect Ford will have most new car and EV glitches fixed by then. I bought one of the first 2019 Audi Q3s produced and it's been a perfect car. Audi has been working out its EV problems with the current Etron. It's going to be an interesting choice.

There better not be an ADM on the Ford or Audi. Audi may have dealer discounts like on the current Etron.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
720 Posts
'It all makes for an interesting price comparison for me here in NJ.

Mach-E AWD ER with no paint upgrade plus destination fee and all credits: $44,300 and no sales tax.

Tesla Model Y AWD LR with no paint upgrade plus destination and doc fee and all credits: $46,100 and no sales tax.

No one has answered factually that NJ Ford dealers wont charge a doc fee as it is never included in an MSRP price quote, just added after. Believe me dealers never waive it in NJ. If you want to negotiate the dollars out and they give in, they will only show the discounted amount in the car price, the doc fee stays on the order form.

For all practical purposes the difference is nominal. It will boil down to which car I like (purely subjective), range and tech. I have no info on my other choice, the Audi Q4 Etron, at this time. With the recent progress Tesla has made to date, I'm not worried about fit and finish in my choice next fall. I suspect Ford will have most new car and EV glitches fixed by then. I bought one of the first 2019 Audi Q3s produced and it's been a perfect car. Audi has been working out its EV problems with the current Etron. It's going to be an interesting choice.
Tesla is keenly aware of the price of its competition.

The Model S was just discounted another $3,000.

By the fall of 2021 when you are ready I suspect the price difference between the Model Y and your configured MME will be even less.

As I intend to lease, the deciding factor for me will be the monthly payments.

As of now Ford does not offer a lease for the MME. I expect that to change before delivery of the First Edition which I have ordered.

I think you are smart to wait on the MME: there will be first year of production problems that hopefully will be worked out by the fall of 2021.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The real sleeper in all this is the new Model Y structure/battery combination being introduced next spring/summer at Tesla's Giga Berlin plant. If Giga Texas follows suit next fall and the Model Y gets the new front and rear mega castings joined by an integrated battery pack with the new Tesla made 4680 batteries, the car will be lighter, cheaper to build, and have significantly longer range. Traditional OEMs need to get off there duffs and make big moves on battery technology and production.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The real sleeper in all this is the new Model Y structure/battery combination being introduced next spring/summer at Tesla's Giga Berlin plant. If Giga Texas follows suit next fall and the Model Y gets the new front and rear mega castings joined by an integrated battery pack with the new Tesla made 4680 batteries, the car will be lighter, cheaper to build, and have significantly longer range. Traditional OEMs need to get off there duffs and make big moves on battery technology and production.
So when you have any significant accident with the Y you have just totaled your car. My understanding is that it is difficult if not impossible to straighten an aluminum frame and that is reflected in higher insurance costs for Teslas. Will the efficiency savings outweigh the extra insurance costs?

·
Registered
61 Posts
So when you have any significant accident with the Y you have just totaled your car. My understanding is that it is difficult if not impossible to straighten an aluminum frame and that is reflected in higher insurance costs for Teslas. Will the efficiency savings outweigh the extra insurance costs?
Insurance rates don't reflect the new castings as of now. The new impact bars can be cut off if damaged and replacements bolted on according to Musk. Bent frames are another story on any car. The insurance rate problem with Tesla has more to do with repair shop availability, training and parts availability away from Tesla shops.

There is no information out there about Mach-E or other new EV repair costs as of yet, ergo insurance rates.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Insurance rates don't reflect the new castings as of now. The new impact bars can be cut off if damaged and replacements bolted on according to Musk. Bent frames are another story on any car. The insurance rate problem with Tesla has more to do with repair shop availability, training and parts availability away from Tesla shops.

There is no information out there about Mach-E or other new EV repair costs as of yet, ergo insurance rates.
See post 4928 on the thread Insurance Costs. Since this has gone off topic I'm not going to reply here.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
720 Posts

Just checked with my insurance agent State Farm:

FYI, these are the six month costs:

• 2018 Ford Edge Sport, MSRP $47,000 $491
  • 2019 Mercedes E450, MSRP $70,000 $594
  • 2020 Tesla Model Y MSRP $49,990 $633
So the Tesla Model Y is approximately 25% more expensive than a comparable price ICE.

In real dollars that is about $250 extra per year in insurance vs. a comparable priced ICE.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts