Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always assumed that it’s ok to remove a plug at a public charger if it’s clear that the session has ended for the car.

But, I had my first charging confrontation today. I had to drive about 200 miles for a memorial service. So I was able to find a CCS one fast charger from EVGo. One of the 2 plugs was broken. So I plugged in and left for 2.5 hours. When I came back there was a very very angry person who started yelling at me that I had left my car charging. When I told her that my car stopped charging her an hour ago and she could’ve just gone and unplugged it she barked back at me that you never touch somebody else’s car. I realize in retrospect that I do have those tags and I should’ve left one that said OK to unplug when it gets to 80%. At the same time she kept braiding me until I finally told her that I was just coming from a memorial service and I’m sorry that her local driving had left her in need of a charge, but I had to turn around and drive another 200 miles home and she had made her point.

But I’m not really sure if I committed an etiquette violation. I had not locked the charger to my car. Thoughts on proper charge etiquette?

·
Registered
111 Posts
there are probably as many opinions as there are MME's.....I would most likely not touch someone's car even with a note ok to unplug......I also would not leave my car on the charger an hour past being charged.....and I also would not be "very, very angry" that someone beat me to the charger in the first place.....maybe upset that I had to wait that hour......and I would not leave myself with that low a charge, especially if I was local driving....soooooooo, my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
196 Posts
You should have left a note that it was ok to remove it. Big difference between charging for that long at a slow charger, and a DC fast charger. You were in the wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You should have left a note that it was ok to remove it. Big difference between charging for that long at a slow charger, and a DC fast charger. You were in the wrong.
I vote for the note. I am sure things like this will happen more and more unfortunately. If I can't stay while charging I would either leave a note or phone number on my dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
there are probably as many opinions as there are MME's.....I would most likely not touch someone's car even with a note ok to unplug......I also would not leave my car on the charger an hour past being charged.....and I also would not be "very, very angry" that someone beat me to the charger in the first place.....maybe upset that I had to wait that hour......and I would not leave myself with that low a charge, especially if I was local driving....soooooooo, my 2 cents.....
Same here, even with the owner's "okay" it'd be difficult to me to touch someone else's car if they are not present. I'd say i'd never do it but I'm pretty sure there should be an instance where I in fact do it.

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
196 Posts
Same here, even with the owner's "okay" it'd be difficult to me to touch someone else's car if they are not present. I'd say i'd never do it but I'm pretty sure there should be an instance where I in fact do it.
If you're touching their car, you're not doing it right. If it's level 2 charging, no car charging is necessary. If it's level 3 charging, the only touching is the center of the button to unlock the charging cable - and they're likely racking up penalties every minute they stay connected and not charging.

Bottom line - you shouldn't be sitting at a charger fully charged when others are waiting. If you are, then it's totally legit for them to disconnect you. I can tell you that I'll give you about 3 minutes and then I'm unplugging you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Come on now, you know very well what we mean by "touching their car"......of course anyone can unplug any car without actually "touching the car"......did you think we meant putting our hands all over the car??.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I always assumed that it’s ok to remove a plug at a public charger if it’s clear that the session has ended for the car.

But, I had my first charging confrontation today. I had to drive about 200 miles for a memorial service. So I was able to find a CCS one fast charger from EVGo. One of the 2 plugs was broken. So I plugged in and left for 2.5 hours. When I came back there was a very very angry person who started yelling at me that I had left my car charging. When I told her that my car stopped charging her an hour ago and she could’ve just gone and unplugged it she barked back at me that you never touch somebody else’s car. I realize in retrospect that I do have those tags and I should’ve left one that said OK to unplug when it gets to 80%. At the same time she kept braiding me until I finally told her that I was just coming from a memorial service and I’m sorry that her local driving had left her in need of a charge, but I had to turn around and drive another 200 miles home and she had made her point.

But I’m not really sure if I committed an etiquette violation. I had not locked the charger to my car. Thoughts on proper charge etiquette?
I go by pretty much the same rules I use for communal laundry locations where there are only a few (or 1) clothes dryer. Once you have left your dry clothes abandoned for about 10-15 minutes or more, you have forfeited your right to continue to hog the dryer forever while leaving others waiting for its use. Therefore, I'm removing your clothes, setting them aside, putting my clothes in the dryer, and will then proceed to fold your clothes as a courtesy until done or until you show up, whichever comes first.

I think the level 3 charger owners need to post signs that say: "Please unplug and move your vehicle when charging is complete. If others are waiting and your vehicle is done charging, the person(s) waiting may remove the charging plug for their own use."

You may have been better off leaving a note, but her comment "you never touch someone else's car" is a rule she made up herself. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to actually touch the car to remove the charger plug anyway. If she's willing to work herself into a tizzy for a rule she made up in her head, she should have just unplugged the charger and spared herself the anxiety, not taken it out on you when you returned.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
177 Posts

So did you have a very costly bill from EVgo? Since there usually are very high fees ($/minute) for leaving a car plugged in for long after the charging is complete? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good question - that's the funny thing. Once I got to 80%, it stopped charging the car and I didn't get any additional fees. That would be a good deterrent. In this unique case, I was at a funeral so couldn't really do much.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This problem is only going to get worse. Much worse. Over the next few years while everyone is rushing to get EV models out and then backing up at the charge stations. Eventually this may sort itself out, but the infrastructure is not yet keeping up with the demand which is increasing by leaps and bounds lately. If tesla opens up it's superchargers, that will help somewhat albeit at the tesla owners displeasure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good question - that's the funny thing. Once I got to 80%, it stopped charging the car and I didn't get any additional fees. That would be a good deterrent. In this unique case, I was at a funeral so couldn't really do much.
I predict that it did not actually STOP charging the car at 80%. It should not have at least. But if the car has the original software, the charging rate dropped dramatically at 80% then only slowly adding charge to the battery. Unless you turned off charging via Ford Pass yourself?

·
Registered
177 Posts
My car is set to stop at 80%
Do you mean at home the car does not charge beyond 80%? That makes sense, and a good idea.

But, interestingly, the Mach-E would only apply that rule at home. It does not have a universal charging limit (applied everywhere) that is common on other EVs. If you go to charge at any new location it no longer obey's that limit set for home and defaults to 100%.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Sadly yet another reason for road rage. Luckily there was no firearm involved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts