Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GAS STATIONS WILL GRADUALLY GO OUT OF BUSINESS. HOWEVER, THEY COULD INCREASE THEIR BUSINESS BY ADDING BATTERIES TO THEIR PRODUCT LINE. EACH BATTERY WOULD BE FULLY CHARGED AND GOOD FOR 250 MILES. OF COURSE THE MACH-E AND ALL ALL OTHER NEW E-VEHICLES WOULD HAVE TO BE CONFIGURED TO ACCEPT THE REPLACEABLE BATTERY. IT WOULD BE EASY TO DESIGN A ROBOTIC ARM TO REMOVE THE SPENT BATTERY FROM THE CAR AND INSERT A FRESH BATTERY. THIS SERVICE COULD COST ABOUT $25.00. THE WHOLE PROCESS COULD REQUIRE LESS THAN ONE MINUTE. THIS WOULD REDUCE THE ANXIETY FOR RUNNING OUT OF CHARGE. IF YOU WEREN'T QUITE EMPTY YOU COULD GET CREDIT FOR CHARGE STILL REMAING ON YOUR OLD BATTERY.
CAN WE DO THIS?

·
Registered
70 Posts
GAS STATIONS WILL GRADUALLY GO OUT OF BUSINESS. HOWEVER, THEY COULD INCREASE THEIR BUSINESS BY ADDING BATTERIES TO THEIR PRODUCT LINE. EACH BATTERY WOULD BE FULLY CHARGED AND GOOD FOR 250 MILES. OF COURSE THE MACH-E AND ALL ALL OTHER NEW E-VEHICLES WOULD HAVE TO BE CONFIGURED TO ACCEPT THE REPLACEABLE BATTERY. IT WOULD BE EASY TO DESIGN A ROBOTIC ARM TO REMOVE THE SPENT BATTERY FROM THE CAR AND INSERT A FRESH BATTERY. THIS SERVICE COULD COST ABOUT $25.00. THE WHOLE PROCESS COULD REQUIRE LESS THAN ONE MINUTE. THIS WOULD REDUCE THE ANXIETY FOR RUNNING OUT OF CHARGE. IF YOU WEREN'T QUITE EMPTY YOU COULD GET CREDIT FOR CHARGE STILL REMAING ON YOUR OLD BATTERY.
CAN WE DO THIS?
Or they could just become charging stations . . . .

·
Registered
622 Posts
Tesla originally had this idea and abandoned it. The problem is that the battery is the most expensive part in the car, and how it is treated greatly affects how it performs. I would hate to swap my nearly brand new battery that I've babied for another that is 2 years old and has been abused (thus has far less range in it). There's also the fact that the form factor is not standard, neither is the chemistry, connectors, cooling system, etc.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,134 Posts
Tesla shuts down battery swap program in favor of Superchargers, for now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO FAR THE BEST REPLY IS FROM: timbop
timbop,
FIRST OF ALL, YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOP IN FOR AN EXCHANGE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR ORIGINAL PRISTINE BATTERY.
SECOND: BATTERY COST WILL EVENTUALLY DROP TO ABOUT $3,000. SO IT WILL NOT BE ONE-HALF THE COST OF THE CAR.
THIRDLY: THEY WILL HAVE TO ADOPT A STANDARD CONFIGURATION AND MAKE ALL THE BATTERIES INTERCHANGEABLE.
FOURTH: IT'S POSSIBLE TO RECHARGE A BATTERY AND PERFORM TESTS TO DETERMINE IT'S "HEALTH" AND GIVE IT A RATING BETWEEN ZERO AND TEN. SO A "TEN" BATTERY MIGHT COST YOU "25.00 WHEREAS A "FOUR" BATTERY MIGHT ONLY COST $15.00. YOUR CHOICE.
FIVE: A FEW PEOPLE SUGGESTED TURNING THE GAS STATIONS INTO CHARGING STATIONS BUT THAT STILL REQUIRES FOR YOU TO SIT THERE FOR AN HOUR OR TWO. MY IDEA ONLY REQUIRES ONE MINUTE.
SIX: CONSIDER PROPANE TANKS FOR YOUR BBQ. YOU TAKE IN THE EMPTY TANK AND WALK OUT WITH A FULL TANK. NOBODY CARES HOW SCRATCHED UP IT MIGHT BE. IT DOES THE JOB.
THANKS.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,134 Posts
Come up with a plan for battery replacement and you might be able to make yourself rich.

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
The biggest challenge to such a business model is each manufacturer and car has a different type and size of battery. Every manufacturer would have to agree on a standard, and then it wouldn’t be profitable until almost every EV was compatible to the system.

it would also stifle development. Once companies have invested millions on the standard, new battery tech development would be restricted to the interfaces of cars on the road. Anything new would have a hard time being adapted because if it requires changes to the swap mechanism, it would cost billions to retrofit to a new standard.

But just supplying electricity is as ubiquitous as supplying gas. Simple, efficient.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IN REPLY TO: MachDrive
FIRST: WE START WITH A COMPARTMENT LARGE ENOUGH TO ACCOMODATE SEVERAL "STANDARD" SIZES. TO AVOID RATTLE A DONUT INTERTUBE WOULD WRAP AROUND THE BATTERY AND FILLED WITH AIR FOR A SNUG FIT.
SECOND: THE ELECTRODES SHOULD EASILY CONTINUE STANDARD WITH FLEXIBLE CABLES.
THIRD: NEW BATTERY DEVELOPMENT WOULD NOT BE STIFLED. JUST LOOK AT THE "AA", "AAA", AND "9-VOLT" STANDARDS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS BUT THEY GET BETTER AND BETTER.
THANKS

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hydrogen is better suited for this.

Not just for cars, Imagine instead of lossy power lines that run open loop, you just got hydrogen delivered to the house. Off grid, no power lines going down In a storm, etc...

Although I would personally prefer an economically feasible hydrogen vehicle over a BEV, the window may be closing/closed on the hydrogen economy.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
214 Posts
I thought about this too, but there are a lot of issues as pointed out above.

The more viable option is probably that battery tech will evolve to the point where charging will become faster and faster, and capacity of the battery will increase. It may never reach the same as refueling gas, but we are already seeing vast improvements in the short time that there have been BEV’s.That’s the road of least “resistance” in my opinion.

And Bob, is your caps lock stuck? You know that makes it look like you are yelling all the time?

·
Registered
45 Posts
What would be great if they had Range Extending battery packs at most gas stations that you could attach to the back of your car when you drive long distance. Range is only an issue for most of us when we do a long trip those few times a year. So why not just attach a unit in the back of your car for the trip and swap it at gas station. Then leave it once you reach your destination. Yes, yes... extra weight and aerodynamic would reduce range slightly but I think it’s negligible for few times a year and ability to do only few short stops.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What would be great if they had Range Extending battery packs at most gas stations that you could attach to the back of your car when you drive long distance. Range is only an issue for most of us when we do a long trip those few times a year. So why not just attach a unit in the back of your car for the trip and swap it at gas station. Then leave it once you reach your destination. Yes, yes... extra weight and aerodynamic would reduce range slightly but I think it’s negligible for few times a year and ability to do only few short stops.
Setting aside the monetary cost... An extra 70 miles of range for Mustang Mach-E adds 400 pounds in weight. And that's with it tightly integrated into the existing body design (no aero impact aside from weight). And it's tightly integrated with the cooling system, which maintains its longevity and maximizes efficiency and performance.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
214 Posts
Great idea. Now if they gave us a hitch on the back of the MME, we could tow that pack behind us!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly, so 1200 lbs for extra 200 miles that you could easily swap at any gas station for a charge of full tank of gas. Plus you chrage your main battery for 10 min it takes to swap your range extender

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
949 Posts
I equate the EV battery development with what has taken place in the mobile phone industry. My first mobile phone in the early 1980's had a battery the size of a shoe box with a traditional handset perched on top. I don't believe that we have scratched the surface on the automotive EV technology. The car manufacturers and battery developers will get it done. Hope that I'm around to see it happen🤞

·
Registered
131 Posts
Exactly, so 1200 lbs for extra 200 miles that you could easily swap at any gas station for a charge of full tank of gas. Plus you chrage your main battery for 10 min it takes to swap your range extender
I think this thread is going off the rails. 1200 lb battery pack an easy swap in 10 minutes?? So who pays to keep these 1200 lb battery packs charged and in their inventory so that they are ready when you need them? So this 400 volt battery pack you are going to tow behind an MME? So you have 400 volt electrical cables dangling from your trailer hitch. What about coolant hoses? Lithium Ion batteries only work well in a certain temperature range and may be destroyed if they get too hot. You are towing a potential fire bomb behind the car. How much extra insurance coverage do you need? Much easier to inventory electricity at the “refuel station”. I see this as a possible workable concept for commercial trucking applications but please not behind my wonderful handling MME. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
I think this thread is going off the rails. 1200 lb battery pack an easy swap in 10 minutes?? So who pays to keep these 1200 lb battery packs charged and in their inventory so that they are ready when you need them? So this 400 volt battery pack you are going to tow behind an MME? So you have 400 volt electrical cables dangling from your trailer hitch. What about coolant hoses? Lithium Ion batteries only work well in a certain temperature range and may be destroyed if they get too hot. You are towing a potential fire bomb behind the car. How much extra insurance coverage do you need? Much easier to inventory electricity at the “refuel station”. I see this as a possible workable concept for commercial trucking applications but please not behind my wonderful handling MME. Just my 2 cents worth.
This type of solution would be more suitable for long-haul tractor-trailors. Swap the battery modules out of the cabs frame, and possibly under the trailer too. Shipping companies can afford to do such a program.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts