Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning everyone! First post here….may be a long one but I’m hoping someone can help….

So my father in law bought a mach e a while ago.

That being said, the family also owns a “cottage” roughly 130 miles away.
My FIL had an electrician wire in the Nema 14-50 outlet to use his mobile charger.

BUT, I have serious questions of its abilities……the standby generator is a 8kw generac with automatic transfer switch (it is an older model so it DOES NOT have smart shedding capabilities). It was installed by the previous owner, to run a small cottage….. then my FIL doubled the sqft of the cottage…..

The electrician wired the charging station plug into the generator transfer switch panel…….(I’m thinking upon my FIL request) And I’m worried what May happen when the power fails.

from my understanding, the charger will pull 32 amps, equating to 7680 watts. Almost maxing out the generator. If something else kicks on, say the refrigerator, or furnace or a number of lights……. DOES THE CHARGER/VEHICLE HAVE THE CAPABILITIES TO REALIZE IT IS NOT RECEIVING ENOUGH POWER?
-And will it automatically kick down into a lower charge rate without basically “browning out” the vehicle? I don’t even know if damage would occur if the vehicle wanted more while being provided less…..

also, the nema 14-50 is being powered from a dual pole 50 amp breaker, I still need to verify the wire gauge from the transfer switch as I don’t ever recall a transfer switch having the required #6 gauge wire that is required for a 50amp breaker…..

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can't pull that load from that generator. 80% of rated load is the maximum. Enjoy the generator protection from your house but don't even try to charge your car at 240-volts with that generator. You could use a 120-volt outlet for slow level 1 charging.

·
Registered
"Shadowfax" 2021 Star White Select AWD
121 Posts
I doubt you would hurt the car, it can deal with whatever amperage is given to it, I don't know what would happen if the voltage is bad though. This is sketchy and he probably needs to vigilant to unplug the car when the power goes out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning everyone! First post here….may be a long one but I’m hoping someone can help….

The electrician wired the charging station plug into the generator transfer switch panel…….(I’m thinking upon my FIL request) And I’m worried what May happen when the power fails.
I would have the wire moved to the main panel and not on the transfer switch. You would brown out your generator if you tried to charge off of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts