Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a video that suggested the interior speakers will make a motor like sound as the Mach E accelerates. I’m not interested in any pretend motor sounds in fact I like the idea of a quiet car. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, if it can be turned off?

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
I was watching a video that suggested the interior speakers will make a motor like sound as the Mach E accelerates. I’m not interested in any pretend motor sounds in fact I like the idea of a quiet car. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, if it can be turned off?
They have a whisper mode. But you can customize sound in all modes.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
for a small price off the Mach-e store? Who knows? Maybe.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
124 Posts
I agree making fake noise is silly. I had visions of going "Vroom vroom" with my Matchbox toys as a kid

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
I agree making fake noise is silly. I had visions of going "Vroom vroom" with my Matchbox toys as a kid
External noise for safety makes sense, i rather some made up jetson or turbine sound than the annoying beep/chimes some other EVs have adopted to meet regulations.

I believe the internal noise makes sense when it portrays acceleration and speed to the driver. The utter silence of the cabin can be deceiving.

How about a slow drum-line, where the beat increases as you accelerate? Or the sound the USS Enterprise makes as it increases warp speed? Hey, who says it has to be boring?

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
124 Posts
My experience test driving EVs is that driving still generates plenty of noise. It's road noise now instead of engine noise. Even with the superior insulation and acoustic glass on luxury models.

As for making an exterior noise for people who can't see cars, I suppose we're stuck with that. Zombie smart phone users will still be a hazard.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally, I prefer the noise a conventional car makes compared to an EV.

I find the engine noise much more enjoyable (kind of like a white noise) compared to road and wind noise. In an ICE, the latter is covered by the former.
Of course, the above is true for normal speeds, at very high speeds the engine noise starts to get annoying.

Overall though, I'm not negative towards a "fake" noise, though obviously it will have a lot to do with implementation.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
38 Posts
Personally, I prefer the noise a conventional car makes compared to an EV.

I find the engine noise much more enjoyable (kind of like a white noise) compared to road and wind noise. In an ICE, the latter is covered by the former.
Of course, the above is true for normal speeds, at very high speeds the engine noise starts to get annoying.

Overall though, I'm not negative towards a "fake" noise, though obviously it will have a lot to do with implementation.
At low speed, there is hardly any wind or road noise: You really prefer hearing the engine noise? Do you do any city driving?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
FTW! And while they're at it, give me phaser/photon torpedo sound effect button on the steering wheel so I can at least pretend like I'm blasting morons off of the road!
I like the idea of transferring ringtones from the iPhone. Or, start a cottage industry; we'll call it "E-vvrroom, Sounds for your electric car."

·
Registered
574 Posts
Like buying ringtone packs for flip phones?
My generic ringtone on my pixel is the whistling sound from the original star trek when someone called on the intership, and for my wife I had the red alert klaxon but that got too annoying. I would definitely prefer to hear the enterprise going to warp or millenium falcon going to lightspeed over a fake "vroom-vroom" sound.

As an overweight, middle aged, star trek loving software engineer I can't keep the ladies off of me. At least that's how I see it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts