Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with a Ford Customer “Service“ Representative. She informed me that Ford will not cover any damage done to one of our Mach E’s as a result of the rear lift gate openIng on it’s own in our garage. The reason she gave was that “the dealer could not duplicate it”! She would also not address the more important safety issue of potential injury to passersby (I have 2 year old grandsons). In addition, she would not connect me with a supervisor: “She/he is going to tell you the same thing”.

I have already filed a safety concern with the NHTSA and because this a major safety issue, I will prepare to follow the steps required to enact the Lemon Law for both of our Mach E’s as both have had several spontaneous lift gate openings. We will also be contacting our local TV Consumer Reporters and will post a warning on Facebook.

We are extremely disappointed in the Ford Company and how this has been handled. If this happens or has happened with your Mach E, please report it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a somewhat similar issue while washing mine. The lift gate kept opening any time I sprayed around the back. I suspect the foot activated litigate (which doesn't work half the time when I am trying to open it with my hands full) was being activated by the water. I'm not sure what type of sensor it uses, but I am in door automation. Some motion and presence sensors can get tricked by light changes on shiny or wet surfaces. Most sensors have settings to negate this, but in some situations setting the reflection rejection causes them to not activate for objects with repeating patterns, such as rows of pallets filled with cans. In any case, does your garage have a polished floor finish? Maybe it is reflections on the floor setting it off, and the dealer can't replicate it on the dull concrete shop floor. I am not saying don't go ahead with the complaint process, but if your floor is shiny, you could try placing a mat under the area of the lift gate sensor where you park to see if that helps. If it does, the mat will give a temporary work around, and maybe if you can show why this happens Ford might be able to fix it with a software update (or hardware design change for future owners).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had this occur as well. Always opening never a phantom close.. One time in a public parking lot was standing near it talking about the car with someone. This was the first time and I assumed I had hit something on the fob.
All the other times have been at home, in garage and driveway. Garage floor is more shiney then driveway Have had it occur at home with no fob or key on me which is concerning. Must have to do with the sensor sensitivity. Haven't determined then common denominator for when it occurs yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's not a fix, but you can turn off the "Power Liftgate" and the "Hands Free" feature in the settings under the vehicle settings. The hands free and power liftgates have been around for years already on different Ford and Lincoln models and I haven't seen issues on those. I'm sure it's the same technology. That being said I woke up the other morning with my liftgate open, but I contributed it to me getting a box out of the back and thought it could have been me not closing it properly, BUT maybe not. I will make sure the next time I use it and check it for sure.

·
Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
442 Posts
Just got off the phone with a Ford Customer “Service“ Representative. She informed me that Ford will not cover any damage done to one of our Mach E’s as a result of the rear lift gate openIng on it’s own in our garage. The reason she gave was that “the dealer could not duplicate it”! She would also not address the more important safety issue of potential injury to passersby (I have 2 year old grandsons). In addition, she would not connect me with a supervisor: “She/he is going to tell you the same thing”.

I have already filed a safety concern with the NHTSA and because this a major safety issue, I will prepare to follow the steps required to enact the Lemon Law for both of our Mach E’s as both have had several spontaneous lift gate openings. We will also be contacting our local TV Consumer Reporters and will post a warning on Facebook.

We are extremely disappointed in the Ford Company and how this has been handled. If this happens or has happened with your Mach E, please report it.
To prevent accidental damage in the garage, set the liftgate height. Procedure is in the manual. You can also search the forum. There is a video.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To prevent accidental damage in the garage, set the liftgate height. Procedure is in the manual. You can also search the forum. There is a video.
Thanks for the input. To accommodate the proximity of the cars to the garage door, there would only be 8 inches of access: useless. The liftgates were adjusted for use when the garage doors were open. We never anticipated that the liftgates would open themselves against garage doors that were closed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So just happened to me again this evening with car in drive way. Wife and I about 8 feet away from it sun setting so it would possibly picked up a shadow over our movement but clearly sensor is to sensitive or aimed incorrectly. Funny thing is can rarely get it to work when I want it to.
Additionally had phone on me but no fob.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium Standard Range RWD Shadow Black
52 Posts
I had one experience where I parked my Mach-E on the street in NYC. Walking away I turned around to look at the car and the trunk lid was wide open. I have now turned the kick to open feature off, I don’t trust it.

·
Registered
2021 Premium AWD 2021 Select AWD (sold)
23 Posts
Same problem here, water drops can activate my liftgate. Being in the PNW, we get a lot of rain so it’s sort of a major problem. I usually couldn’t get the liftgate to work with the kick motion for the first month or so - now it’s like a puppy who finally learned how to bark.

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
15 Posts
Does this happen when the car is locked too? I have a GT that I picked up about 2 weeks ago and haven’t experienced anything like this yet, but I will be keeping an eye out for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My MME was at the dealer as the field engineers wanted to look at it and address my concerns. After 2 days, I was called in to talk with the dealer tech. He reports the field engineers could not duplicate the hatch self opening. While we were standing there discussing all the other things that they couldn't duplicate the liftgate opened by itself. He looked at me and asked if I did that? Nope! We just laughed.

My wipers in the rain detect mode often sweep when starting the car. They couldn't repeat that issue, but the tech reported it did do it when he started it and pulled it into the bay. I'm not crazy. Good to know.

Today it turned off the climate control.

My car need an exorcist..

·
Registered
Grabber Blue GT w/Pano Roof. Reserved March 2021, Ordered April 2021, Still Waiting.....
278 Posts

Just keep bringing it in to the dealership whenever that happens, even if they can't duplicate it. You'll want that documentation when you file your Lemon Law claim. I just settled a claim against another car mftr. today.

·
Registered
2021 Mach E GT
5 Posts
All, I just had this happen to me. Luckily, I have a Ring camera set up in my garage. The video logs show my car in the garage with the garage door shut. My wife was in the garage so the motion started recording. She left the garage about 8:02 PM. The camera stopped recording and then it takes still shots every 30 seconds or so. No one was in the garage and you can see in one of the snapshots the liftgate was open at 8:08pm. I then went into the garage at 8:18 PM to put a tool away and it started recording again. I didn't notice the liftgate was up because it had hit my garage door and only opened a small amount. Yesterday morning I was headed out and I hit my garage door button on the wall to open the garage door. This then caused damage to both the car and the garage door as the two became wedged together. I called Ford directly and they told me to take it to my dealership (I did make them give me a reference number). I then called the local dealership and have an appointment for Monday. This is obviously a problem and the damage to both my garage door and my car should be Ford's responsibility.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All, I just had this happen to me. Luckily, I have a Ring camera set up in my garage. The video logs show my car in the garage with the garage door shut. My wife was in the garage so the motion started recording. She left the garage about 8:02 PM. The camera stopped recording and then it takes still shots every 30 seconds or so. No one was in the garage and you can see in one of the snapshots the liftgate was open at 8:08pm. I then went into the garage at 8:18 PM to put a tool away and it started recording again. I didn't notice the liftgate was up because it had hit my garage door and only opened a small amount. Yesterday morning I was headed out and I hit my garage door button on the wall to open the garage door. This then caused damage to both the car and the garage door as the two became wedged together. I called Ford directly and they told me to take it to my dealership (I did make them give me a reference number). I then called the local dealership and have an appointment for Monday. This is obviously a problem and the damage to both my garage door and my car should be Ford's responsibility.
Good luck with this. Dealer and Ford in Detroit told me to submit a claim to my insurance company. . . Nothing further was offered. . .

·
Registered
2021 Ruby Red 2WD Ext.
2 Posts
This happened with my car today. In the closed and locked garage over night, plugged in to charge. I went down this morning and found the hatch wide open. I am lucky that the hatch missed hitting the garage door by a hair, but wonder how bad it could have been.

Although I love the kick to open feature I think I'm going to disable it and hope this doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
This happened with my car today. In the closed and locked garage over night, plugged in to charge. I went down this morning and found the hatch wide open. I am lucky that the hatch missed hitting the garage door by a hair, but wonder how bad it could have been.

Although I love the kick to open feature I think I'm going to disable it and hope this doesn't happen again.
no chance that somehow your hatch button on the fob got pressed by mistake? I know you have to press two times so seems unlikely. Also no chance it was activated on fordpass app?

·
Registered
2021 Ruby Red 2WD Ext.
2 Posts
Chris, I suppose anything is possible. Key fob unlikely, since it was in my untouched purse. I just tried the Ford Pass app and it takes a long 2 to 3 second press and hold to open the hatch, so I am discounting that. I don't know. I know the parrots who live with me are smart, but they haven't learned how to unlock the phone yet.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be back if it happens again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts