Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

No loaner cars during recall fixes, what would you do?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as a Mach E owner we are all aware of the recalls. However, they take at least two days for repairs. The issue is none of the 4 ford dealerships in a 25 mile radius offer loaner cars and there is not more than a 30/day reimbursement for a car rental. Hence, it would cost me out of pocket 300-400 to complete the recall. I called customer service multiple times, but they provide the good ole response of 'there is nothing we can do'. When i ask to speak to a supervisor i get disconnected.

This is my fifth experience trying to talk to customer support and each time, it more than disappoints.

What would you do? Pay the 300-400 out-of-pocket, go with no car for 2-3 days (with two kids), use public transport, or just don't give the car in and hope nothing goes wrong?

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, as a Mach E owner we are all aware of the recalls. However, they take at least two days for repairs. The issue is none of the 4 ford dealerships in a 25 mile radius offer loaner cars and there is not more than a 30/day reimbursement for a car rental. Hence, it would cost me out of pocket 300-400 to complete the recall. I called customer service multiple times, but they provide the good ole response of 'there is nothing we can do'. When i ask to speak to a supervisor i get disconnected.

This is my fifth experience trying to talk to customer support and each time, it more than disappoints.

What would you do? Pay the 300-400 out-of-pocket, go with no car for 2-3 days (with two kids), use public transport, or just don't give the car in and hope nothing goes wrong?
There is a warrantee $30 a day but there are almost no rental cars from rental agencies. We lucked borrowing a friend's truck who is traveling.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts

don't the ford instructions for windshield and pano roof recall state rental cars provided?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I'm a little annoyed with this as well. Lucky for me, my wife works from home so I'm just going to use her car for a couple of days. Not everyone is able to do this though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I looked at the recall notice and thought maybe a loaner would be provided but when I took it in today I was told they don't have any loaners to give out (low inventory and they need the few cars they have?). It was really a moot point because we have two cars and my wife picked me up right after I dropped the car off. I have the Extended Warranty and did not take the rental insurance option because of this. I feel bad for those who don't have another car as they'll have to make a choice as far as what to do. I didn't answer the survey because there was no choice for using your own (second) car. And two days to do the recall???? The Service Writer said at least a week for the recalls (at the body shop/windshield glass company) and then time to do the software calibration and OTA 1.7.1 update at the dealers. I'm crossing my fingers for Friday to pick it up but realistically, I think it will be next week (assuming everything goes well).

It didn't help my trepitdations about doing the 2 glass recalls when the Service Writer said if it were his car he wouldn't do it. I feel like a guinea pig in a way as they told me this morning they've only done one other recall and that car isn't back yet from the body shop. 😯

Reactions: zvez

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I looked at the recall notice and thought maybe a loaner would be provided but when I took it in today I was told they don't have any loaners to give out (low inventory and they need the few cars they have?). It was really a moot point because we have two cars and my wife picked me up right after I dropped the car off. I have the Extended Warranty and did not take the rental insurance option because of this. I feel bad for those who don't have another car as they'll have to make a choice as far as what to do. I didn't answer the survey because there was no choice for using your own (second) car. And two days to do the recall???? The Service Writer said at least a week for the recalls (at the body shop/windshield glass company) and then time to do the software calibration and OTA 1.7.1 update at the dealers. I'm crossing my fingers for Friday to pick it up but realistically, I think it will be next week (assuming everything goes well).

It didn't help my trepitdations about doing the 2 glass recalls when the Service Writer said if it were his car he wouldn't do it. I feel like a guinea pig in a way as they told me this morning they've only done one other recall and that car isn't back yet from the body shop. 😯
the more I hear about these two recalls the less inclined I am to do it. Let the next owner deal with it when I eventually sell it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the more I hear about these two recalls the less inclined I am to do it. Let the next owner deal with it when I eventually sell it.
One way to look at it. Hopefully, you won’t be involved in an accident where the windshield pulls out and seriously hurts you, your passenger or someone else.Chances are it probably won’t happen but I would rather be safe then sorry later on. Of course if they botch the job I’ll be really sorry about that too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
One way to look at it. Hopefully, you won’t be involved in an accident where the windshield pulls out and seriously hurts you, your passenger or someone else.Chances are it probably won’t happen but I would rather be safe then sorry later on. Of course if they botch the job I’ll be really sorry about that too.
Good news so far! I took the car in yesterday and called the body shop today. I talked to the Manager who told me he has his best employee working on my car. He said he has done several already with no problems whatsoever. I asked if a glass company came in to remove the windshield and he said yes and that mine was removed about an hour ago and is fine; no cracks or any problems. The glass company will be back when they are ready for the windshield to be re-glued. He told me he's shooting for Friday to be done but if that's not possible, Monday at the latest. He said that I will not be able to tell the work was even done and that this might decrease the wind noise I have heard. He also said the dealer has to do the software calibration on the camera so that I may not get it back the same day as it is returned. He made me feel a whole lot better about doing the recall now and told me my car will be fine. I'm not planning on getting it back this week and think next Monday or Tuesday are more likely. That will be a little over a week to have the 2 recalls done; the Customer Satisfaction software re-calibration; OTA 1.7.1 and the windshield camera re-calibrated. So if you don't have a second car you'll need another mode of transportation for a week or more (at least in my case).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
me my car will be fine. I'm not planning on getting it back this week and think next Monday or Tuesday are more likely. T
Good news so far! I took the car in yesterday and called the body shop today. I talked to the Manager who told me he has his best employee working on my car. He said he has done several already with no problems whatsoever. I asked if a glass company came in to remove the windshield and he said yes and that mine was removed about an hour ago and is fine; no cracks or any problems. The glass company will be back when they are ready for the windshield to be re-glued. He told me he's shooting for Friday to be done but if that's not possible, Monday at the latest. He said that I will not be able to tell the work was even done and that this might decrease the wind noise I have heard. He also said the dealer has to do the software calibration on the camera so that I may not get it back the same day as it is returned. He made me feel a whole lot better about doing the recall now and told me my car will be fine. I'm not planning on getting it back this week and think next Monday or Tuesday are more likely. That will be a little over a week to have the 2 recalls done; the Customer Satisfaction software re-calibration; OTA 1.7.1 and the windshield camera re-calibrated. So if you don't have a second car you'll need another mode of transportation for a week or more (at least in my case).
Very informative. Have two kids so need transportation, but good to have expectations set. hope i found a guy as good as yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts

My local dealerships say they have not received the parts nor training for the recalls nor the parts for the damaged charging door that fell apart in my hand the first time I tried to charge the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Sadly it's just not a very good car and the company that built it is even worse, they seem to care nothing about the customer that went out on a limb to try their FE of an all electric car. My car has had three recalls issued already, they let me setup an appointment to fix the last two and when getting to the dealer told me they didn't have what they needed from for to perform the work. Big surprise, a giant company that doesn't care about their customer.

I'm sure if you ask they'll give you a credit on your monthly payment to help with that rental car 🤣

·
Registered
263 Posts
With the cars on the lot so scarce, rental companies charging skyhigh prices and not very many windshield repairs done at this point I'm going to wait a little bit for mine I don't want to have an even bigger problem if the windshield is cracked. They don't have any in stock. It's not an immediate problem and they are doing this out of an abundance of caution.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
With the cars on the lot so scarce, rental companies charging skyhigh prices and not very many windshield repairs done at this point I'm going to wait a little bit for mine I don't want to have an even bigger problem if the windshield is cracked. They don't have any in stock. It's not an immediate problem and they are doing this out of an abundance of caution.
I'd be willing to bet Ford staged spare windshields and pano roofs in the US for the inevitable breakage. I mean with thousands of cars involved they'd be fools not to. In other words if worst thing happens and a windshield is damaged they can have one shipped from ford warehouse. That said, I'm not in the least hurry to get these recalls done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eager to hear about the end result...sounds encouraging!

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
3,116 Posts
I have a 12V battery cover panel on order when it comes in, I will talk with the service Rep. about the recalls. I'm not getting any wind noise or water leakage. My dealer does the glass work in their body shop and in as much as I am a one-person household, I may request a drop off and pickup

·
Premium Member
65 Posts

Well, I’m the odd owner out, but my dealer gave me a 2021 Ford Escape (not a fan) a nd had it subbed out to Precision Glass in Daytona who made it a priority and returned the car in 1.5 days “because they were short on workers,@ Precision said.
That said, this has nothing to do with other issues I’ve had with the Service Dept who kept the car for nearly 2 weeks to replace the rear brake light that retains moisture inside it. I took it back and spoke to the manager who apologized and agreed to set up a date when the brake light can be fixed in an hour or two (Ford has to retrain on a simple light?). They will pick it up if we don’t want to bring it to them. We also have a 2nd car so it’s not a biggie but took the loaner. So sorry you all are having trouble!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 12V battery cover panel on order when it comes in, I will talk with the service Rep. about the recalls. I'm not getting any wind noise or water leakage. My dealer does the glass work in their body shop and in as much as I am a one-person household, I may request a drop off and pickup
Sounds like a good plan...no wind noise or leakage on my end either. Good luck and I'll stay tuned! Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
WARNING to all that get the recall for the windshield replacement and glass roof replacement.
I set up my recall with my dealer 3 weeks in advance. I received a rental and expected the car back in 2 days max.
What happened was that they disassembled my car without having the seals. Now I am being told the seals are on back order. So my Car is disassembled in the ford service bay. It can not be put back together without the seals. If i'm lucky I might get the car back in 8 - 9 days. The dealer has approved the car rental for 30 more days. That scares me. The statements to me: It's our first one, we didn't know you needed new seals. Waiting for the fedex truck. Still waiting no tracking number. Seals on backorder, Shipping it from another dealership up north. StillI not here, Fedex changed the delivery date.I am furious. This should have never happened.

Don't allow the dealer to disassemble your car without the replacement seals in their hands. The Ford recall notice noted that anticipate repair instructions and parts to available to my dealer on November 15.

I miss my electric pony.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts