Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

No loaner cars during recall fixes, what would you do?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
WARNING to all that get the recall for the windshield replacement and glass roof replacement.
I set up my recall with my dealer 3 weeks in advance. I received a rental and expected the car back in 2 days max.
What happened was that they disassembled my car without having the seals. Now I am being told the seals are on back order. So my Car is disassembled in the ford service bay. It can not be put back together without the seals. If i'm lucky I might get the car back in 8 - 9 days. The dealer has approved the car rental for 30 more days. That scares me. The statements to me: It's our first one, we didn't know you needed new seals. Waiting for the fedex truck. Still waiting no tracking number. Seals on backorder, Shipping it from another dealership up north. StillI not here, Fedex changed the delivery date.I am furious. This should have never happened.

Don't allow the dealer to disassemble your car without the replacement seals in their hands. The Ford recall notice noted that anticipate repair instructions and parts to available to my dealer on November 15.

I miss my electric pony.
wow, that's incredibly bad service from your dealer

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
3,123 Posts
WARNING to all that get the recall for the windshield replacement and glass roof replacement.
I set up my recall with my dealer 3 weeks in advance. I received a rental and expected the car back in 2 days max.
What happened was that they disassembled my car without having the seals. Now I am being told the seals are on back order. So my Car is disassembled in the ford service bay. It can not be put back together without the seals. If i'm lucky I might get the car back in 8 - 9 days. The dealer has approved the car rental for 30 more days. That scares me. The statements to me: It's our first one, we didn't know you needed new seals. Waiting for the fedex truck. Still waiting no tracking number. Seals on backorder, Shipping it from another dealership up north. StillI not here, Fedex changed the delivery date.I am furious. This should have never happened.

Don't allow the dealer to disassemble your car without the replacement seals in their hands. The Ford recall notice noted that anticipate repair instructions and parts to available to my dealer on November 15.

I miss my electric pony.
Great advice

·
Registered
6 Posts

I miss my electric pony.
Oh, maaan...just what I was afraid might happen will all of us being up first. So sorry, I feel your pain. Called closer dealership owned by my original purchase (seemed like a burden, rather than "how can I help"). Couldn't find my vin # in system...said could only do windshield now, needed to wait Ford instructions on roof ("'cause it's a big deal" ...no kidding, for all of us too!). No loaners either...that was the first thing he said! You are so right, none of this should have or be happening. Good luck, be well and we'll stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts

I miss my electric pony.
And you should!!! We we’re not without it more than two days and missed it. At two weeks, we just went and got it (it wasn’t disassembled). It happened once before but after a 5 days for a “simple” thing, we drove throughout the dealership to find our little Pony squashed between two brute Broncos (body guards?) and loaded with dust!! The Shame! Absofukenlutely we rescued our Pony from their clutches. We told the manager, Nobody puts Sall-E in the corner.” Happily, we returned the 2021 loaner Escape and immediately got her washed up, dried up and prettied up. She rode off with people who appreciated her for the thoroughbred she is. Now we will watch the Dealer’s every move. They’ve been very fair with us.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good News! I sent my car to my dealer Monday and they referred it out to a body shop after that. Today around noon the body shop returned the car to the dealer. I went over to check on the work because the dealer has to keep the car until Monday to do several software updates (Phone As A Key, 21P22 Software Calibration; front windshield camera calibration; OTA 1.7.1). I took some pictures but I cannot tell that any work was done. The body shop and windshield glass company did excellent work on the car. There still is a gap between the windshield and the front edge of the panoramic roof but it looks smaller to me (who knows). I may reseal the gap with a windshield gasket I got from Amazon. My Light Space Grey Interior is fine with no smudges or damage of any sort. I would advise people to have this done. I was uneasy letting them do it but it turned out fine! The dealer had ALL the necessary parts for this repair before I brought the car in (two LJ8Z-19B22-AA seals).

S-o-o-o, it depends on which dealer you send your car to have the recall work done.

Here are some pictures:

Gap is still present but it looks smaller to me (wishful thinking?). Edges are even.

Headliner is fine; you cannot tell it was removed.

Picture from backseat looking at headliner over the windshield.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Good News! I sent my car to my dealer Monday and they referred it out to a body shop after that. Today around noon the body shop returned the car to the dealer. I went over to check on the work because the dealer has to keep the car until Monday to do several software updates (Phone As A Key, 21P22 Software Calibration; front windshield camera calibration; OTA 1.7.1). I took some pictures but I cannot tell that any work was done. The body shop and windshield glass company did excellent work on the car. There still is a gap between the windshield and the front edge of the panoramic roof but it looks smaller to me (who knows). I may reseal the gap with a windshield gasket I got from Amazon. I would advise people to have this done. I was uneasy letting them do it but it turned out fine! The dealer had ALL the necessary parts for this repair.

S-o-o-o, it depends on which dealer you send your car to have the recall work done.

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 6994
View attachment 6995
View attachment 6996
View attachment 6997
Looks great waiting for a backordered panel in the Frunk and then mine will be scheduled

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Looks great waiting for a backordered panel in the Frunk and then mine will be scheduled
it seems odd this early in the process that they're back ordered on supplies to do the recall, when ford said the reason for the lead time before they could do the recalls was to have the parts available. I mean if you have thousands of cars to do recalls on, wouldn't you have a large supply of the components to do it on hand?

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
it seems odd this early in the process that they're back ordered on supplies to do the recall, when ford said the reason for the lead time before they could do the recalls was to have the parts available. I mean if you have thousands of cars to do recalls on, wouldn't you have a large supply of the components to do it on hand?
The backordered piece is the plastic cover the runs across the top of the compartment in the Frunk where the 12V battery is located. There was a defective hold-down "rivet". I didn't want to make two trips so I asked to be scheduled by the body shop for the recalls and the panel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good News! I sent my car to my dealer Monday and they referred it out to a body shop after that. Today around noon the body shop returned the car to the dealer. I went over to check on the work because the dealer has to keep the car until Monday to do several software updates (Phone As A Key, 21P22 Software Calibration; front windshield camera calibration; OTA 1.7.1). I took some pictures but I cannot tell that any work was done. The body shop and windshield glass company did excellent work on the car. There still is a gap between the windshield and the front edge of the panoramic roof but it looks smaller to me (who knows). I may reseal the gap with a windshield gasket I got from Amazon. My Light Space Grey Interior is fine with no smudges or damage of any sort. I would advise people to have this done. I was uneasy letting them do it but it turned out fine! The dealer had ALL the necessary parts for this repair before I brought the car in.

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 6994
Gap is still present but it looks smaller to me (wishful thinking?). Edges are even.
View attachment 6995
Headliner is fine; you cannot tell it was removed.
View attachment 6996
Picture from backseat looking at headliner over the windshield.
View attachment 6997
Update: The dealer called at 4:30 and said they had completed the software updates and the car was ready to pick up. So my wife drove me over and I picked it up. From what I can tell, they did most of the software updates with the exception of doing OTA 1.7.1. I was afraid they wouldn't do that one so I will have to schedule another appointment for it. Ford gave up on updating the car OTA and told me to have the dealer do it. So I'm 99% done. Software updates done were: 21B36 Phone as a Key RFA module updated; IPM-A module alignment with FDRS for windshield camera; 21P22 software calibration of 12 modules.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

I miss my electric pony.
it's just not right

·
Registered
40 Posts

I miss my electric pony.
Thank you for the advice.
I am schedule for 6 Jan 2022 to get these recalls taken care of. Because of your post I called the dealer (Jordan Ford of San Antonio) to be proactive. All I mentioned was needing a recall and they said, "Yes we do it all the time. Our guys are Ford certified." So I asked them "What do they do all the time?" Because they didn't even know what recall I was speaking of at the time. I got the lead service guy (Roy) on the phone who put me more at ease. They have the seals and parts already on hand. Additionally, he reassured me that the process used is the same as the F-150 recall and 2 MMEs are scheduled before me (yay! not the test car). Software updates will be completed as well.

Don't be afraid to ask the questions. About to go take "BEFORE" pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a warrantee $30 a day but there are almost no rental cars from rental agencies. We lucked borrowing a friend's truck who is traveling.
Never been a Ford owner until my 2021 Mach E First Edition, car is well engineered and manufactured. However, Ford customer service and dealers are beyond abysmal. I will be selling and buying another EV from a brand that respects their customers and reasonably appreciates their business. Probably why Ford plans to split into a separate EV and ICE company, good luck to all of you....

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Never been a Ford owner until my 2021 Mach E First Edition, car is well engineered and manufactured. However, Ford customer service and dealers are beyond abysmal. I will be selling and buying another EV from a brand that respects their customers and reasonably appreciates their business. Probably why Ford plans to split into a separate EV and ICE company, good luck to all of you....
I can’t believe you are so quick to damn a whole company on one dealer, one salespe, one company manager! Pretty small minded. Like you, this is my first Ford. At over 70, I’m not ashamed to say it’s my first brand new car. Issues, bad hair days, pandemic, unsure job even company stability, lack of product (new and used), job security out the window, economy blowing up, war at our backs, entitled Karens and Kurt’s (present company excepted of course), etc etc. ALL play into the human experience. Mine started out with a supervisor stepping in to a brand new, eager salesman’s desk to infer, because of our advanced years, that not only wasn’t this car (in showroom being ogled by 3 other young serious customers) for us but that we couldn’t afford it and a $10k dealer upcharge. Luckily for us all, I know better. It wasn’t the only or last issue I’ve encountered. It was the first. He sold that car to another but, with patience, persistence, research, understanding and good manners (on both sides after that first bloke was removed from my sight), within a couple of months, a Senior Director personally signed our First Edition over and Thanked my 89 yo husband for his service. As everyone knows, with any product as new and mind blowing as the MachE, there will be burps along the way and a learning curve. I’ve been fortunate to meet many new friendly people from the dealer’s shuttle bus drivers to the Dealer. All good, respectful family people. Relax, my friend. Try again to mend this relationship. Sit back and enjoy the drive experience that is yours. You only travel this way but once. Smile 😃… and the world smiles with you.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I can’t believe you are so quick to damn a whole company on one dealer, one salespe, one company manager! Pretty small minded. Like you, this is my first Ford. At over 70, I’m not ashamed to say it’s my first brand new car. Issues, bad hair days, pandemic, unsure job even company stability, lack of product (new and used), job security out the window, economy blowing up, war at our backs, entitled Karens and Kurt’s (present company excepted of course), etc etc. ALL play into the human experience. Mine started out with a supervisor stepping in to a brand new, eager salesman’s desk to infer, because of our advanced years, that not only wasn’t this car (in showroom being ogled by 3 other young serious customers) for us but that we couldn’t afford it and a $10k dealer upcharge. Luckily for us all, I know better. It wasn’t the only or last issue I’ve encountered. It was the first. He sold that car to another but, with patience, persistence, research, understanding and good manners (on both sides after that first bloke was removed from my sight), within a couple of months, a Senior Director personally signed our First Edition over and Thanked my 89 yo husband for his service. As everyone knows, with any product as new and mind blowing as the MachE, there will be burps along the way and a learning curve. I’ve been fortunate to meet many new friendly people from the dealer’s shuttle bus drivers to the Dealer. All good, respectful family people. Relax, my friend. Try again to mend this relationship. Sit back and enjoy the drive experience that is yours. You only travel this way but once. Smile 😃… and the world smiles with you.
I find it interesting, the guy you quoted above, took all the trouble to register and will probably only post the one time just to gripe. A number of people seem to do that. I'm retired but still find my time is too valuable to go thru all that trouble.
Ten months into my mach e and have had no issues, ordering (got car in 4.5 months) buying (in/out of dealer in 1.5 hours), owning (zero problems)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
So, as a Mach E owner we are all aware of the recalls. However, they take at least two days for repairs. The issue is none of the 4 ford dealerships in a 25 mile radius offer loaner cars and there is not more than a 30/day reimbursement for a car rental. Hence, it would cost me out of pocket 300-400 to complete the recall. I called customer service multiple times, but they provide the good ole response of 'there is nothing we can do'. When i ask to speak to a supervisor i get disconnected.

This is my fifth experience trying to talk to customer support and each time, it more than disappoints.

What would you do? Pay the 300-400 out-of-pocket, go with no car for 2-3 days (with two kids), use public transport, or just don't give the car in and hope nothing goes wrong?
I ignored the recall for as long as I could. About two weeks ago it was close to 100° in LA and out of nowhere while sitting in the car I watch a crack form at the very bottom center of my front windshield and within a day it was midway up. So I took it in for the recall being told to come in on a Monday ‘cause “it would take about 3 days to do the whole front and top window recall process.” Fast forward two weeks later they don’t have a replacement front windshield for my car. It’s just sitting there at the shop this whole time and I’m driving an M*** F***** I.C.E rental @ about $200 a week in Gas. WTF Ford?!?!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I ignored the recall for as long as I could. About two weeks ago it was close to 100° in LA and out of nowhere while sitting in the car I watch a crack form at the very bottom center of my front windshield and within a day it was midway up. So I took it in for the recall being told to come in on a Monday ‘cause “it would take about 3 days to do the whole front and top window recall process.” Fast forward two weeks later they don’t have a replacement front windshield for my car. It’s just sitting there at the shop this whole time and I’m driving an M*** F***** I.C.E rental @ about $200 a week in Gas. WTF Ford?!?!!
I hope you don't have the same experience that I had with a Dodge Caravan back in the 1990s, Every April on the first really hot day a crack would grow in the windshield. Dodge didn't cover as warranty so I worried that my insurance company would balk at covering it multiple times. Thankfully they did. The issue was probably stress based on the window frame shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm now 3 weeks in waiting on a windshield. Wonder which one of us gets the next one they find :)

I am 100% writing a letter to Ford. My experience started with 3 appointments to the dealership after the recall letter. Each time I drove there I get "Oh we don't know how to do it yet", "We don't have the parts yet", "Ok we are ready and it will take 6 weeks to complete the job".

Ford should have had the parts ready - and dealerships should not START one of these unless they have a windshield ready. Really really annoyed.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I am appalled at what I’ve been reading here! I have had my MachE in a few time between the windshield recall, a rear light condensation, software updates, etc. Each and every single time, my dealer, Gary Yeoman’s Ford and Lincoln in Daytona Beach, FL, has a practically new loaner car for me! Most times, I prefer just to use their Shuttle because I have another (usually ignored) vehicle. I guess I was assuming it was a Ford company thing but see, now, that it’s a dealer thing (they also detail my car before returning it). so, I’m sorry so many of you are having issues. Good Luck to all and YaY! To Gary Yeoman’s of Florida!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts