Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Bolt - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E Premier AWD Extended Range
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FE is arriving at my dealer in Ontario Canada by mid December. I am looking for recommendations for the purchase of a set of winter tires and wheels. I live in a rural area where we get lots of snow, ice and slush. Steel wheels are less costly, however they are ugly. Don't mind spending more on the best performing winter tires. Should I go with 18" instead of 19"?

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
The natural tendency is to install low friction (reduced noise) winter tires on an EV. My first set of winters were Hakkapeliitta R2s. I am changing to studded Hakkapeliitta 9s because my FWD Spark EV has way too much torque for the traction control, and we are getting more ice with climate change. So, if you have the AWD version (I'm jealous) and you really want to keep the friction noise down, you may be able to get away with a low noise tire, as I'm assuming the MME traction control is far superior to mine. As a minimum however, I would consider not getting a reduced noise tire. I've never used studded tires - the experiments starts this Friday- but I expect much better performance on ice.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
The natural tendency is to install low friction (reduced noise) winter tires on an EV. My first set of winters were Hakkapeliitta R2s. I am changing to studded Hakkapeliitta 9s because my FWD Spark EV has way too much torque for the traction control, and we are getting more ice with climate change. So, if you have the AWD version (I'm jealous) and you really want to keep the friction noise down, you may be able to get away with a low noise tire, as I'm assuming the MME traction control is far superior to mine. As a minimum however, I would consider not getting a reduced noise tire. I've never used studded tires - the experiments starts this Friday- but I expect much better performance on ice.
Ah, but I see you own a Bolt so you know all of this...sorry!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, but I see you own a Bolt so you know all of this...sorry!
Yes, we own a Bolt and it has plenty of torque all in the front wheels. You are making a good choice with studded winter tires for your Spark EV. The Bolt is heavy and gets stuck in deep snow even with good winter tires so we are looking forward to an AWD. The studded tires idea would work well on the Bolt and MME but they are very noisy.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
The Bolt is heavy and gets stuck in deep snow even with good winter tires so we are looking forward to an AWD.
None of the EVs I've seen, including so-called SUVs, have decent ground clearance: Bolt (6 in), MME (5.7 in), Model Y (5.5 in). Compare that to a Chevy Equinox (7.6 - 8.0 in). This means, even with AWD and the best winter tires, EVs will tend to lift more in deep snow than their ICE counterparts.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
You may have already seen this video. It has the Mustang Mach-E being tested in the stock Michelin All-Season tires.

As for snow and ice tires, make sure you get ones that can support the extra load. Depending on your configuration, the MMe can weigh north of 4800 lbs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of the EVs I've seen, including so-called SUVs, have decent ground clearance: Bolt (6 in), MME (5.7 in), Model Y (5.5 in). Compare that to a Chevy Equinox (7.6 - 8.0 in). This means, even with AWD and the best winter tires, EVs will tend to lift more in deep snow than their ICE counterparts.
Low ground clearance will be good for having stable driving. Not so good during certain deep snow days which I experience about 5 to 10 times each winter. Hoping the AWD will help me plow through deep snow.

·
Registered
Star White Premium AWD ER
34 Posts
For the tire I want performance so I’ll go with studded Hakkapeliitta even if it make more noise. Even if you have good traction in acceleration with all seasons tire, with the heavy MME, I’m more concerned about braking and with studded tire it will be better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may have already seen this video. It has the Mustang Mach-E being tested in the stock Michelin All-Season tires.

As for snow and ice tires, make sure you get ones that can support the extra load. Depending on your configuration, the MMe can weigh north of 4800 lbs.

In most parts of Canada, insurance companies and government require use of snow tires during winter. Just need to decide the brand of winter tire and what extra set of wheels. Steel or alloy.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
865 Posts
My FE is arriving at my dealer in Ontario Canada by mid December. I am looking for recommendations for the purchase of a set of winter tires and wheels. I live in a rural area where we get lots of snow, ice and slush. Steel wheels are less costly, however they are ugly. Don't mind spending more on the best performing winter tires. Should I go with 18" instead of 19"?

The general consensus in snow is to go smaller in wheels rather than bigger. The bigger wheel has a smaller sidewall and a wider track. With a wider track the pounds per square inch is less and hence traction is less. If your car has 19" wheels and you go to 18" make sure you have clearance and you must have a higher (bigger) sidewall to keep the same size diameter as the 19" wheel.

My own opinion is to keep the same size wheel as the car comes with. In the old days when we went from 16" to 17" wheels it was called +1, to 18" +2 and to 19" +3. That was for summer driving. What happened was:

• Improved handling
  • Harsher ride
  • lower gas mileage
Then in the winter we went back to the standard wheel size with snow tires.

MacDrive makes a very good point about making sure the winter tire has sufficient load capacity - something you really do not think about with an ICE. In the US many states prohibit studded tires because of the damage to the pavement. Also in the wet the studded tires may not give you the same traction as a non studded tire, plus the noise is greater with a studded tire.

.Finally, with regard to snow over 6": maybe it is better to just wait an hour or so until the road is plowed?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ha ha ha! Plowed! (Not a thing in many places)
You are right:

My son and I both owed Subaru Outbacks and I owned two MDX's. Many times we both said "If the road is open we will make it - and we did!"

But if the roads are not plowed and when you get above 10 inches, the chances of getting stuck rise exponentially as compared to 6" to 8".

If the roads are not plowed, wherever you are going is probably going to be closed anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
I miss the days with my 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. It had an 8.5” ground clearance, but could work through 10” of snow with little issue.

I have come to accept that even though the tag SUV is in the name, the Mustang Mach-E is at best a CUV. Its not a Jeep or Subaru Forester (or Bronco 🙃)

I have a feeling snow-depth will top out at 6” (15 cm). Ford may indicate in the manual the recommended maximum snow depth.

A new concern we have as MMe owners is to ensure the battery cooling intakes do not get blocked with snow by us driving too deep.

Reactions: JTK44

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
50 Posts
Ha ha ha! Plowed! (Not a thing in many places)
If you're using the car for work, this means taking a day off. And then just to park, it normally takes a few days before the snow is removed from the curb.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A new concern we have as MMe owners is to ensure the battery cooling intakes do not get blocked with snow by us driving too deep.
Yes, but not likely to be a problem at snowing temperatures. Mostly the shutters are open during battery charging. Most of that battery and motor heat will be recovered to warm the interior with supplemental resistance heating as necessary. Hopefully there will be a technical manual that explains all the cooling loops logic. We know there is a cooling loop dedicated to the battery. Also the rear motor is oil cooled but I have not heard the same for the smaller front motor. I doubt the owners manual will cover all the details. Anxiously awaiting more details.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback
88 Posts
For me, I will go with 18" michelin x-ice. That's what I have on my current car and it's doing great even in rural environment. But with wind on the road I have more ice than snow in my area. I also plan on getting better summer/all season tires for better grip depending on the performance of the one they will put from the factory.

·
Registered
865 Posts
For me, I will go with 18" michelin x-ice. That's what I have on my current car and it's doing great even in rural environment. But with wind on the road I have more ice than snow in my area. I also plan on getting better summer/all season tires for better grip depending on the performance of the one they will put from the factory.
Keep in mind one thing for your summer tires: On an EV the tires are not only designed for the extra weight of an EV (MackDrive post above) but also extremely low rolling resistance to improve the range. The tires also call for relatively high pressure, for example on the Model 3 and Y about 40 lbs.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback
88 Posts
Keep in mind one thing for your summer tires: On an EV the tires are not only designed for the extra weight of an EV (MackDrive post above) but also extremely low rolling resistance to improve the range. The tires also call for relatively high pressure, for example on the Model 3 and Y about 40 lbs.
Yes I saw some pictures with 40lbs on the MMe door frame. That's crazy. In my Focus it's 35 and I thought that was high. For the range, when I reserved in November I was working 160km away form my home. Now I have cut this distance in half so I don't care that much about range anymore. I just know that when I get a lift in the Kona of my collegue, it's kind of frustrating to see all this torque and just tire squeal because the tires don't grip. I did see a lot of difference between the continental pro contact I got from the factory and the toyo proxes 4 plus I have now.
At this point money will probably be another factor too since it's technically not necessary to have more grip in summer.

And for the wheel, it will depend on the price but I think I will got with alloy wheel.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,117 Posts
Yes I saw some pictures with 40lbs on the MMe door frame. That's crazy. In my Focus it's 35 and I thought that was high. For the range, when I reserved in November I was working 160km away form my home. Now I have cut this distance in half so I don't care that much about range anymore. I just know that when I get a lift in the Kona of my collegue, it's kind of frustrating to see all this torque and just tire squeal because the tires don't grip. I did see a lot of difference between the continental pro contact I got from the factory and the toyo proxes 4 plus I have now.
At this point money will probably be another factor too since it's technically not necessary to have more grip in summer.

And for the wheel, it will depend on the price but I think I will got with alloy wheel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are right:

My son and I both owed Subaru Outbacks and I owned two MDX's. Many times we both said "If the road is open we will make it - and we did!"

But if the roads are not plowed and when you get above 10 inches, the chances of getting stuck rise exponentially as compared to 6" to 8".

If the roads are not plowed, wherever you are going is probably going to be closed anyhow.
I live in snow country, driving a Focus RS. I discovered that deep snow tears the front spoiler off. The solution in deep snow? Drive in reverse until you get to a plowed street.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts