Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i actually don't care for AWD that much, but I'm asking myself if recuperation will be limited with the RWD. Remember when breaking 2/3 of the breaking is done by the front wheels. I love recuperation and I need it as strong as possible!

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
From what i read*, One-pedal driving mode with regen (recoup) is on all mach-e. With varying settings to meet driving style. Regen and braking systems are designed to work together seamlessly.

*Design News - Darren Palmer interview

·
Registered
e-Golf
49 Posts
When you drive “anticipating” regen on rear axle only will be sufficiënt, otherwise awd will help recup more energy. Regen is not the most efficiënt, you will always lose energy thru friction and other small losses in the system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i actually don't care for AWD that much, but I'm asking myself if recuperation will be limited with the RWD. Remember when breaking 2/3 of the breaking is done by the front wheels. I love recuperation and I need it as strong as possible!
With very strong regen comes very strong slowing down. People in the car will not like that. I know that from my PHEV.

best regen methode is to anticipate and roll out, don't try to stop at all If not needed. Al rolling car needs less energy To accelerate again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Keep in mind, AWD despite stronger regen is still quite a bit less efficient than RWD even with more friction brake use. Having two motors instead of one adds weight, additional friction energy waste, and other inefficiencies.

In other words, I don’t suggest buying AWD for energy efficiency because it will always be worse in that aspect. The benefits are slightly faster max acceleration (if you put the pedal to the floor) and more importantly better accelerating traction in challenging conditions like snow/ice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With very strong regen comes very strong slowing down. People in the car will not like that. I know that from my PHEV.

best regen methode is to anticipate and roll out, don't try to stop at all If not needed. Al rolling car needs less energy To accelerate again.
I'm driving an Ioniq electric ATM that allows me to set 4 level of regen (0,1,2,3) at the steering wheel. i let it roll whenever i can on level 0, but in city stop and go, level 3 that is very strong is the best. My wife does not use the steering wheel pedals at all and always uses level 3, and that is absolutely fine for here. You can also decrease the regen by keeping the foot a little bit on the "gas" pedal. My father also has an EV (Zoe) where the regen is fix and you cannot change it. Always when i drive that car it feels like the regen is not working properly. The upcoming VW ID3 is also a RWD and i heard the regen sucks, because of that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with @opennetus

Buying AWD just for the stronger/better recuperation wouldn't make any sense, since the AWD is less efficient even after taking that into account.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with @opennetus

Buying AWD just for the stronger/better recuperation wouldn't make any sense, since the AWD is less efficient even after taking that into account.
good argument, there should be some info with the Tesla Model 3 on this, that you can have as a AWD or RWD, i will dig a little bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts