Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mach-E has Paak(?) to use phone as a key. But I believe that would be bluetooth?

How about remote unlock / lock from a far away distance like Tesla has?
How about remote heating activation from a distance?
Any internet connectivity at all? Subscription model?

Ie) any rumors or confirmed details about this.... ?

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure.. but any distance numbers? is it limited by bluetooth range or wifi? or is this internet/mobile based where I can do it from 20 or 30km away...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.. replying to myself.
apparently fordpass for existing vehicles has no monthly fee....
you can buy $20 for at&t access for hotspot but most convenience features are free.
So I guess this means it uses mobile data so can be done at unlimited range without service fees....

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK.. replying to myself.
apparently fordpass for existing vehicles has no monthly fee....
you can buy $20 for at&t access for hotspot but most convenience features are free.
So I guess this means it uses mobile data so can be done at unlimited range without service fees....
I have the Lincoln Way app, the equivalent of Ford Pass, and yes all those features are available from your phone at any distance. But my FOB controls turning on welcome lights and allows me to unlock the doors by touching the handle. So does the phone do those FOB related things at close distances via bluetooth? One would think so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could test it out by turning off bluetooth on your phone and see if the doors still unlock. I agree that Bluetooth is the most likely technology for close range proximity features.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are software updates also sent through cellular to the car, or does the car need to be in range of a wifi network and connected to it in order to receive them? Hopefully you at least need to authorize the updates, and be able to read about changes made, instead of it just happening in the background. In some ways it is a little disturbing to know your car is connected to cellular all the time and can be remotely influenced, but on the other hand that actually might be more secure than a public wifi network which could have been compromised by hackers.

Ford has been pretty vague about exactly what is remotely updatable, but if everything including the power train can be changed remotely, security is a big concern.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There is most definitely a cellular modem in the car, and it will likely allow the phone remote control over the internet. Of course that is a huge security concern, but that is life in the 21st century

·
Registered
497 Posts
D
Are software updates also sent through cellular to the car, or does the car need to be in range of a wifi network and connected to it in order to receive them? Hopefully you at least need to authorize the updates, and be able to read about changes made, instead of it just happening in the background. In some ways it is a little disturbing to know your car is connected to cellular all the time and can be remotely influenced, but on the other hand that actually might be more secure than a public wifi network which could have been compromised by hackers.

Ford has been pretty vague about exactly what is remotely updatable, but if everything including the power train can be changed remotely, security is a big concern.
Darren Palmer has stated everything is ota updateble

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can tell you that I can start/turn off my engine, lock/unlock my car even miles away. I once worked for two weeks in another state and checked on my car every couple days through the Ford Pass app and I have a 2017 Escape. So not nearly as advanced as the Mach-E will be. The only issues I’ve had using the app for car features are when cell signal or connected Wifi is very weak. Sometimes I disconnect from WiFi at home and it works best on the cell towers. There are two parking garages around town here they down allow cell signal to get in and it’s a no go there. But it’s a very useful and fun tool.

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
There are two separate technologies here.
FordPass app works via cellular, so you can lock/unlock, start/stop engine, vehicle health, etc. this is a subscription based function. Current vehicle purchases may get one or two years free, but there is a cost afterwards. I don’t know haw many years the MME will get included.

PaaK functionality uses Bluetooth. This is entry/exit, driver identification, allow car to be put in gear and driven, etc. this works only a few feet from the vehicle and in the vehicle. There are no subscription fees for this. You just go through a special pairing process.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2018 F150 offers the free FordPass cellular access for 5 years, but I think it's decreased to 1 or 2 years on later model years. Sync 3 has quite a bit of functionality, and I would expect the Sync 4 in the Mach E to only be better. Cellular connectivity features are hardly cutting edge. My 2014 BMW has simplified cellular capabilities that is free for something like 8 or 10 years, but it's features are pretty rudimentary. The service in my wife's 2015 BMW was only free for 3 years, but it has a little more functionality.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There are two separate technologies here.
FordPass app works via cellular, so you can lock/unlock, start/stop engine, vehicle health, etc. this is a subscription based function. Current vehicle purchases may get one or two years free, but there is a cost afterwards. I don’t know haw many years the MME will get included.

PaaK functionality uses Bluetooth. This is entry/exit, driver identification, allow car to be put in gear and driven, etc. this works only a few feet from the vehicle and in the vehicle. There are no subscription fees for this. You just go through a special pairing process.
Correct. And after setup is done, the first requires interaction with the phone (opening the app and choosing the options). The second requires nothing other than the phone being physically close to the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mach-E has Paak(?) to use phone as a key. But I believe that would be bluetooth?

My 2018 explorer allows remote unlock through ford pass and distances don’t see to matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I can lock, unlock, start, and locate from 20 miles on my Escape and Fusion with Ford Pass. So I believe those features will be available.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
887 Posts
For those with FordPass, I haven't heard anything about the climate control system. Does it not have the ability to turn heating or A/C on at a distance?

·
Registered
99 Posts
For those with FordPass, I haven't heard anything about the climate control system. Does it not have the ability to turn heating or A/C on at a distance?
I have ford pass and the answer is no. It can tell you everything about your car and especially where it is kind of. if you are in a parking garage it can not tell if you are above or below. It can lock/unlock and tell you things like how much gas is left and how much oil time is left. In short I am sure the new Ford Pass version will be better or say EV motivated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can lock, unlock, start, and locate from 20 miles on my Escape and Fusion with Ford Pass. So I believe those features will be available.
I have the Lincoln equivalent of Ford Pass. I can remote start the car and the HVAC system will be at the last setting. So if you leave the HVAC on AUTO and the temp set at whatever you want, you can remote start your car and have the interior close to your desired temp. AUTO setting also adjusts fan speed to try to maintain you temp set point. The car will shut off after 15 minutes if you don't enter the vehicle within that time. I'm not sure how that works with the MME since it does not have an engine.
The MME will also allow you to pre-condition your battery temp and turn on your heated seats while connected to your Ford charger using your home electricity so you do not use up your battery charge. I don't recall if this includes turning on the HVAC. This is per Ford's MME literature. I have not heard if the remote heated seat option is available if your car is not plugged in. I wish they would publish at least a beta version of the owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
Existing Ford cars do not have these internal systems exposed to remote access. Only the remote starter, locks, and read-only system status data is available. Even the limited OTA update ability is a pull from the car, not a push to the car.
With the Mach e, connectivity is one of their selling points. Ford said there will be a newer version of FordPass released to give us more control, access to manage charging times and rates, etc. how much control will we have? Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts