Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New mach-e owner, I'll try to explain the problem that I find with mach-e.
When I start to drive, I hear a noise coming from the front starting at approximately 20km / h (not the pedestrian warning). This noise amplifies when the speed increases and it's really loud at 100km/h. When I am with the 18 "OEM the noise is bearable, but with the 20" the noise is really loud. I don't think this noise are comming from the tires, because whatever the surface, the noise is the same, plus I have super quiet tires. It's not a sound of wind either. My mach-e is a select RWD, I tested an AWD and the same noise is there too, the driver of the AWD does not hear the noise but I do and it is annoying. I hear everyone saying how quiet the mach-e is, I don't find it quiet at all, I had a BMW i3s that was 100 times quieter.
My question is: have you found a way to reduce the noise? I think it's an amplified rolling (bearing like noise) noise in the structure of the car, as if the suspension bushings were too hard and didn't filter the noise, or the shock absorber rubber, or the big aluminum crossmember amplify the noise
That's the only complain I have with the car, but this noise is killing all the enjoyement of using the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
When I start to drive, I hear a noise coming from the front starting at approximately 20km / h (not the pedestrian warning). This noise amplifies when the speed increases and it's really loud at 100km/h. When I am with the 18 "OEM the noise is bearable, but with the 20" the noise is really loud. I don't think this noise are comming from the tires, because whatever the surface, the noise is the same, plus I have super quiet tires. It's not a sound of wind either. My mach-e is a select RWD, I tested an AWD and the same noise is there too, the driver of the AWD does not hear the noise but I do and it is annoying. I hear everyone saying how quiet the mach-e is, I don't find it quiet at all, I had a BMW i3s that was 100 times quieter.
My question is: have you found a way to reduce the noise? I think it's an amplified rolling (bearing like noise) noise in the structure of the car, as if the suspension bushings were too hard and didn't filter the noise, or the shock absorber rubber, or the big aluminum crossmember amplify the noise
That's the only complain I have with the car, but this noise is killing all the enjoyement of using the car.
Curious. Can you try to capture the sound on video?

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
211 Posts
I think the sound of the Mach E is amplified because you don't have engine noise to mask the noises you usually don't hear. The same was kinda true for me when I first started driving mine, until I got used to what was considered "normal" for the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to record the sound, but without results. It's definitly not a motor or whine sound. This is my third EV, and I'm use to have no engine sound, and can tell you that my others EV where silent compare to the mach-e. I buyed accoustic mat that I'll install in my front wheels well and let you know if it help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have exactly the same issue!!!! Drives me crazy and takes all the joy away from each ride.
It's like the tires noise is transferred to something else (axle?) in the front of the car. First I thought/hoped it was the empty frunk but even full of blankets it still makes the same noise.

My 18 inch original tires vs my new 20 inch p-zero noise cancelling tires both sound about the same.

Did you figure out how to resolve this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything regarding this F*** sound/noise yet. I tried a lot of different things but no results. I also put some blankets in the frunk without success. I bought 500$ dynamat insulating stuff and put it everywhere I can, under carpets, front wheels well, door, around the frunk, under the hood, but absolutely no improvement at all. I tape all apertures and gaps (around windows, around hood, etc.) with paint tape and go for a ride, but no improvement at all. I took the car to 2 separate dealer and both are telling me that everything is normal. I removed wheels, rotors, calipers, and took a stethoscope to listen to wheels bearing but all seams to be good without any bearing noise. I bought winter tires and wheels (18”) and put them on car to see if the noise change, but no change at all, always the same noise level even with more aggressive tire. I know that this noise can go away, because at 2 occasions on the highway, the noise completely stops for about 30 seconds each time and it was really quiet and a lovely car, I don’t know why but noise stop and came back soon after. I hate the car just because of this noise, even the radio can’t play enough loud to go over the noise… Even my F150 Ecoboost with mud tire is quieter than this car… I’m happy to see at least one other person with this noise problem (not happy for you, but happy that I’m not alone with this noise). It is not a winning electric motor noise, it is really like a worn wheel bearing but without noise increase when turning from right to left. Let me know if you find something. I’m really surprise to not see more complain about that noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Pasprope Yesterday I went to the dealer and a mechanic drove with me and noticed it right away. He said it's most likely tire noise/vibration which is transferred into the axel and causes this low frequency noise. To me this totally makes sense.
We then went to drive in a demo car for comparison but unfortunately we had to abort after 200 meters due to an overheating battery warning. So much for the test but he would look into the matter and check if it was a known issue or not and contact me but so far I haven't heard back. He told me that if he couldn't find anything he would make a complaint on Ford and see what the reaction will be as in his opinion this sort of noise can and should be avoided in the design proces.

Luckily a nice local forum member offered me to drive in his car which I just did and it had just the same noise but the owner had never noticed.
I'll be driving another RWD next Wednesday to be 100% sure but I fear it's a characteristic of the car we will have to get used to if we ever will :(

You say the noise stopped in a few occasions, this I noticed too and is always on bridges or the latest b-roads (non highway) which are a supersmooth tarmac. However 90% of the roads are "open" tarmac which is better for water drainage but this open structure causes more tire noise/vibration which is being transferred into the axel.

If i set my radio to level 10 (about 1/3 of max) and depending on the type of music it almost surpresses the noise but at this level the music is already quite loud and not all passengers appreciate this so it's only for when i'm driving alone. You say the radio doesn't go loud enough to surpass the noise but fortunately it does for.

I'm now trying to move my focus away from the sound and ignore it. In my childhood I lived next to a railroad and hardly noticed the trains anymore but guests did very well so I hope I can get used to this noise too :cautious:

·
Registered
15 Posts
@MachDrive, no such thing as stupid question but I wish that was it. Propulsion sound comes from behind and can be turned off where this noise comes from the front and unfortunately has no button to turn off.

It's very clearly roadnoise picked up by something in the front and apparently not many seem to be sensitive to it but unfortunately I am one of the few.

I noticed that if I pull myself up higher towards the roof the noise gets louder where if I go down to the level I can look on the road through the steering wheel the noise is almost gone. Also moving my head towards the front window (above the steering wheel) makes the noise almost completely go away. Sad conclusion of this is that it's about the loudest exactly on the spot where my ears are.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
@MachDrive, no such thing as stupid question but I wish that was it. Propulsion sound comes from behind and can be turned off where this noise comes from the front and unfortunately has no button to turn off.

It's very clearly roadnoise picked up by something in the front and apparently not many seem to be sensitive to it but unfortunately I am one of the few.

I noticed that if I pull myself up higher towards the roof the noise gets louder where if I go down to the level I can look on the road through the steering wheel the noise is almost gone. Also moving my head towards the front window (above the steering wheel) makes the noise almost completely go away. Sad conclusion of this is that it's about the loudest exactly on the spot where my ears are.
Your going to have me moving my head around to see if I can hear what you are speaking about. Anyone watching will think I’m disturbed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You describe exactly the noise that i have, I also discovered that I'm the only one in the car who can hear it, at passenger places, the sound is not loud enough to make passenger complain. If I move my head near the steering, the noise is really low. It make me crazy to not find the root cause... It like a reverb near my head... I like the car but not with this noise always in my head. After 4000km I'm still not used to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You describe exactly the noise that i have, I also discovered that I'm the only one in the car who can hear it, at passenger places, the sound is not loud enough to make passenger complain. If I move my head near the steering, the noise is really low. It make me crazy to not find the root cause... It like a reverb near my head... I like the car but not with this noise always in my head. After 4000km I'm still not used to it.
I truly believe it's an oversight in the design of the MME as result of almost no-one hearing or bothering of the issue. The roadnoise (or rather vibrations) are passed through the axle tubes which resonate under the hood. Possibly the plastic parts under the hood (frunk amongst them) make it worse but i'm not sure. I wanted to remove all plastic covers and frunk and do a test drive but didn't dare to remove them as i'm afraid to break something. In the end I do believe that a better sound proving of the axle or the connected parts could avoid this sound or the better part of it however I also believe this would needed to be done in the design and assembly and doubt it can be fixed afterwards by us drivers.

Unfortunately (depening on how you look at it) for 99% of the people the noise doesn't annoy them so it's to no importance of Ford to fix it. It's the 1% like us who will need to get used to it.
I noticed that with the knowledge that nothing can be done about it and + the radio at level 9 to 10 I'm able to ignore it on the better part of the roads. On some roads however I fear I'll never get used to it.

If you are handy enough you might want to try to temporarily remove the frunk and see how the sound is without it. If it's gone or mostly gone than the frunk is acting as a amplifier and that would be good to know but might proof to be a bit to much work for the chance...

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Pasprope , today I drove another RWD MME albeit an ER and not SR but this one did NOT have this issue. The first testtrip i doubted myself and thought I heared the same but really had to do my best to hear it and still doubted if i heared it. Afterward we got into mine and after 5 seconds we both hear the noise very clearly and didn't need to even try to hear it. Stepped in his car again and all was silent again.

We did some close inspection and both agreed that the sound was comming from the right front wheel. At the driver side the sound comes from the "middle" where if you sit at the passenger side the sound clearly comes from the front right. If you move all the way to the left on the driver sight the sound still comes from the middle so that makes me certain the left front wheel is not producing this noise but the front right is.

With this test I'm sure this sound is NOT as it should be and I'll be contacting my dealer tomorrow morning to make an appointment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Pasprope , got my car back from the dealer today and as expected, nothing was found. They checked for loose components but found nothing and couldn't do more than this.
Told me I could try a different softer tire but would need to arrange that myself with the lease company as the stock tires have no defect. The fact I have a noise canceling 20inch set which has the same issue tells me it's no use to go that road.

The fact that the tested RWD ER didn't have this issue still makes me wanting to to get this solved.
Also if this sound is generic there should be many more complainers but beside you and me I haven't found any messages on the net about it.

To be 100% sure it's not an issue specific for the RWD SR i'm going to try to drive another RWD SR version and if that one doesn't have the issue either i'm going to force the dealer to take back the car and fix it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
@Pasprope , got my car back from the dealer today and as expected, nothing was found. They checked for loose components but found nothing and couldn't do more than this.
Told me I could try a different softer tire but would need to arrange that myself with the lease company as the stock tires have no defect. The fact I have a noise canceling 20inch set which has the same issue tells me it's no use to go that road.

The fact that the tested RWD ER didn't have this issue still makes me wanting to to get this solved.
Also if this sound is generic there should be many more complainers but beside you and me I haven't found any messages on the net about it.

To be 100% sure it's not an issue specific for the RWD SR i'm going to try to drive another RWD SR version and if that one doesn't have the issue either i'm going to force the dealer to take back the car and fix it.
RWD here don't have the noise, depends on road surface I do hear tires but it's pretty minimal

·
Registered
15 Posts
@MachDrive Most who drive in my car don't hear it either for some reason until I mention it to them what they need to hear. Most then say that they indeed do hear it but don't bother. My wife never noticed it as she tought the noise was comming from the airco vents as result of airflow. I can imagine she associated it with that as indeed it sounds like high air stream in a vent duct but all vents were set to 0 and it's def. not that.

@zvez tire noise is indeed normal and I can hear that too which doesn't bother me but it's the additional low frequency noise caused by the tire vibration into something which does.

I personally think my low frequency hearing is "hyper sensitive" but after having driven in another car which didn't have this issue at all i'm sure it's not a general MME issue.
Only a personal drive in another SR RWD will prove me right or wrong.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything regarding this F*** sound/noise yet. I tried a lot of different things but no results. I also put some blankets in the frunk without success. I bought 500$ dynamat insulating stuff and put it everywhere I can, under carpets, front wheels well, door, around the frunk, under the hood, but absolutely no improvement at all. I tape all apertures and gaps (around windows, around hood, etc.) with paint tape and go for a ride, but no improvement at all. I took the car to 2 separate dealer and both are telling me that everything is normal. I removed wheels, rotors, calipers, and took a stethoscope to listen to wheels bearing but all seams to be good without any bearing noise. I bought winter tires and wheels (18”) and put them on car to see if the noise change, but no change at all, always the same noise level even with more aggressive tire. I know that this noise can go away, because at 2 occasions on the highway, the noise completely stops for about 30 seconds each time and it was really quiet and a lovely car, I don’t know why but noise stop and came back soon after. I hate the car just because of this noise, even the radio can’t play enough loud to go over the noise… Even my F150 Ecoboost with mud tire is quieter than this car… I’m happy to see at least one other person with this noise problem (not happy for you, but happy that I’m not alone with this noise). It is not a winning electric motor noise, it is really like a worn wheel bearing but without noise increase when turning from right to left. Let me know if you find something. I’m really surprise to not see more complain about that noise.
Can you quantify the sound level with a decibel meter. Is the noise proportional to speed? I have Decibel X app on my phone (there is a free version). It will give you instantaneous values as well as average and maximum during your recording period. Obviously the readings will be influenced by the road surface and noisy vehicles that pass you. My Mach E is quiet and any noise I do hear is road noise from the tires on certain concrete roads and/or wind noise. I have not taken a db reading on my Mach E, but I may after reading about your troubles. I suspect it will read in the 60's and is quieter than my Lincoln MKX which is pretty damn quiet. Sorry this has to spoil your experience; that has to be frustrating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you quantify the sound level with a decibel meter. Is the noise proportional to speed? I have Decibel X app on my phone (there is a free version). It will give you instantaneous values as well as average and maximum during your recording period. Obviously the readings will be influenced by the road surface and noisy vehicles that pass you. My Mach E is quiet and any noise I do hear is road noise from the tires on certain concrete roads and/or wind noise. I have not taken a db reading on my Mach E, but I may after reading about your troubles. I suspect it will read in the 60's and is quieter than my Lincoln MKX which is pretty damn quiet. Sorry this has to spoil your experience; that has to be frustrating.
I'll try the app today/tomorrow but I think that the specific noise won't generate a higher db level. It's the low frequency "echoing" pitch level which makes it annoying, not the loudness itself.
It does increase a with speed however from 30-40km/h it's very clearly there and doesn't increase proportional with speed. @ 50km/h it's like a 10 (just a random number) and @ 100km/h it's like a 12 or 13 in loudness on the same road.

Difference in type of concrete makes a hugh difference on this noise. Smooth concrete you don't hear anything but on the more open concrete surfaces it immediately appears where on worn out concrete it's even worse. Offcourse tire noise itself is also louder on the rougher concrete which results in a higher "echoing" of the low frequency rumble at the same time. It can even be heard @10km/h on certain uneven roads at which speed tire noise is totally absent but the rumble is there although not as loud offcourse.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts