Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you quantify the sound level with a decibel meter. Is the noise proportional to speed? I have Decibel X app on my phone (there is a free version). It will give you instantaneous values as well as average and maximum during your recording period. Obviously the readings will be influenced by the road surface and noisy vehicles that pass you. My Mach E is quiet and any noise I do hear is road noise from the tires on certain concrete roads and/or wind noise. I have not taken a db reading on my Mach E, but I may after reading about your troubles. I suspect it will read in the 60's and is quieter than my Lincoln MKX which is pretty damn quiet. Sorry this has to spoil your experience; that has to be frustrating.
Decibel X didn't work for me as I got very low unrealistic values (livingroom with TV on 23db where other apps show 60db)
I took another app and got the following results
  • Standing still, contact off: 27-30db
  • 35km/h smooth concrete: 57-60db
  • 80km/h rough concrete: 66-72db (some spots were rougher than other spots)
  • 100km/h highway medium rough concrete: 68-72db

I didn't notice any DB difference on the part of the highway which has smoother concrete and on which the annoying low noise is much less than on the rougher concrete which makes me believe that the loudness of the annoying sound is limited but the annoying aspect is the low frequency tone it makes .

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
Decibel X didn't work for me as I got very low unrealistic values (livingroom with TV on 23db where other apps show 60db)
I took another app and got the following results
  • Standing still, contact off: 27-30db
  • 35km/h smooth concrete: 57-60db
  • 80km/h rough concrete: 66-72db (some spots were rougher than other spots)
  • 100km/h highway medium rough concrete: 68-72db

I didn't notice any DB difference on the part of the highway which has smoother concrete and on which the annoying low noise is much less than on the rougher concrete which makes me believe that the loudness of the annoying sound is limited but the annoying aspect is the low frequency tone it makes .
I tried to hear this sound you are referring to, but to no avail. I hear the pedestrian sound, the ‘voo-voo’ sound from the gearbox and the e-motor turbine sound (I have AWD/ER). Then, your typical road noise.

I am also premium trim, so I wonder if there is additional NVH material involved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried to hear this sound you are referring to, but to no avail. I hear the pedestrian sound, the ‘voo-voo’ sound from the gearbox and the e-motor turbine sound (I have AWD/ER). Then, your typical road noise.

I am also premium trim, so I wonder if there is additional NVH material involved.

I don't think that the bare chassis get other threatment for that. Premium does have anti noise front side windows where the select doesn't so that could make a differency although the noise really comes from the front below the hood and not from the side so I doubt that helps. Also the OP said that he drove an AWD and heard the same noise.

That being said, I drove another RWD SR Select yesterday and although the noise was a tad less (I now drive with 245/20 and his car had the stock 225/18) I clearly heard it in his car too where the RWD ER select which I drove earlier didn't have it.

With this knowledge I doubt I have enough basis to demand further investigation from Ford..:(

I'm now going to try to remove all plastic part around the frunk and possibly the frunk too and see what that does while driving.

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
I don't think that the bare chassis get other threatment for that. Premium does have anti noise front side windows where the select doesn't so that could make a differency although the noise really comes from the front below the hood and not from the side so I doubt that helps. Also the OP said that he drove an AWD and heard the same noise.

That being said, I drove another RWD SR Select yesterday and although the noise was a tad less (I now drive with 245/20 and his car had the stock 225/18) I clearly heard it in his car too where the RWD ER select which I drove earlier didn't have it.

With this knowledge I doubt I have enough basis to demand further investigation from Ford..:(

I'm now going to try to remove all plastic part around the frunk and possibly the frunk too and see what that does while driving.
Only guessing (i’m not an engineer) With a RWD, does the absence of a front motor necessitate some other axle-like mechanism where the motor would be? Or is it just the steering rack and suspension?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only guessing (i’m not an engineer) With a RWD, does the absence of a front motor necessitate some other axle-like mechanism where the motor would be? Or is it just the steering rack and suspension?
I never drove an AWD for this purpose as as you rightfully mention that could be indeed a difference which affects the noise but the OP noted he drove an AWD which had the same noise.
I removed the plastic parts around the frunk and even the cover under the hood but had no effect. I'm now just trying to ignore the sound as i'm out of options I fear.

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
I never drove an AWD for this purpose as as you rightfully mention that could be indeed a difference which affects the noise but the OP noted he drove an AWD which had the same noise.
I removed the plastic parts around the frunk and even the cover under the hood but had no effect. I'm now just trying to ignore the sound as i'm out of options I fear.
Curious, Metal or glass roof?

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
@MachDrive , full metal. However, the noise is clearly comming from the hood ("through" the dashboard), not the roof.
I spent an entire ride with the radio off. The only noise heard were the expected road noise on concrete roadways, the transmission/motor whine, the cooling fan (98°F outside) and that low-speed pedestrian jetson sound. I’m sorry, But I was unable to identify the sound you are experiencing. I am driving an ER/AWD.

When I think back to the early 1990’s, I remember an unpleasant NVH sound that ended up being a compromised front shock mount-point. It was not easily found, until it eventually developed a clunk on left-turns when the bolt finally sheered.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@MachDrive , the issue is if it's normal road noise or not. Most don't hear it when they are in the car. It is some NVH sound but the dealer checked for anything loose (at least they said they did) but found nothing. I took off the plastic part which is attached to the hood and filled it as much as possible with foam but again to no effect unfortunately.

·
Registered
2021 MACH -e 4X Black
23 Posts
@MachDrive , the issue is if it's normal road noise or not. Most don't hear it when they are in the car. It is some NVH sound but the dealer checked for anything loose (at least they said they did) but found nothing. I took off the plastic part which is attached to the hood and filled it as much as possible with foam but again to no effect unfortunately.
I hear it on my car - I put a digital audio recorder in the frunk and under the hood but it didn't record the same noise I hear at the driver side.

·
Registered
2021 MACH -e 4X Black
23 Posts
I spent an entire ride with the radio off. The only noise heard were the expected road noise on concrete roadways, the transmission/motor whine, the cooling fan (98°F outside) and that low-speed pedestrian jetson sound. I’m sorry, But I was unable to identify the sound you are experiencing. I am driving an ER/AWD.

When I think back to the early 1990’s, I remember an unpleasant NVH sound that ended up being a compromised front shock mount-point. It was not easily found, until it eventually developed a clunk on left-turns when the bolt finally sheered.

Please keep us posted.
Quick question - Do you have a front plate holder?

·
Registered
15 Posts
der the hood but it didn't record the same noise I hear at the driver side.
I hear it on both sides but on the drivers side it's by far the most annoying. It still "ruins" every ride and if people ask if I like the car I always hesitate. Yes I do but this sound is so annoying on every trip it just outplays any positive and joy of the ride. The only rides which I enjoy is the ones in which I sit alone and can set the music to level 10 or above :/

I do have a plate in the front but's it's not that, it's a too low of a frequency to be that. I still believe there is a chance that something isn't tightened enough and resonates but the dealer didn't find anything although I believe they just looked at the visible suspension and didn't look any further as they classified it as "probably normal" even before starting on the inspection. They did the least they could do to be able to tell me they didn't find anything. Disclaimer, this isn't a fact but a gut feeling based on my experience there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New mach-e owner, I'll try to explain the problem that I find with mach-e.
When I start to drive, I hear a noise coming from the front starting at approximately 20km / h (not the pedestrian warning). This noise amplifies when the speed increases and it's really loud at 100km/h. When I am with the 18 "OEM the noise is bearable, but with the 20" the noise is really loud. I don't think this noise are comming from the tires, because whatever the surface, the noise is the same, plus I have super quiet tires. It's not a sound of wind either. My mach-e is a select RWD, I tested an AWD and the same noise is there too, the driver of the AWD does not hear the noise but I do and it is annoying. I hear everyone saying how quiet the mach-e is, I don't find it quiet at all, I had a BMW i3s that was 100 times quieter.
My question is: have you found a way to reduce the noise? I think it's an amplified rolling (bearing like noise) noise in the structure of the car, as if the suspension bushings were too hard and didn't filter the noise, or the shock absorber rubber, or the big aluminum crossmember amplify the noise
That's the only complain I have with the car, but this noise is killing all the enjoyement of using the car.

I registered just to tell you that you're not crazy.

The sound is from the driver's screen. This is an article about the issue: Ford's Mustang Mach-E Owners Upset Over Odd Annoyance

I noticed it on my test drive and it is an absolute deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
New mach-e owner, I'll try to explain the problem that I find with mach-e.
When I start to drive, I hear a noise coming from the front starting at approximately 20km / h (not the pedestrian warning). This noise amplifies when the speed increases and it's really loud at 100km/h. When I am with the 18 "OEM the noise is bearable, but with the 20" the noise is really loud. I don't think this noise are comming from the tires, because whatever the surface, the noise is the same, plus I have super quiet tires. It's not a sound of wind either. My mach-e is a select RWD, I tested an AWD and the same noise is there too, the driver of the AWD does not hear the noise but I do and it is annoying. I hear everyone saying how quiet the mach-e is, I don't find it quiet at all, I had a BMW i3s that was 100 times quieter.
My question is: have you found a way to reduce the noise? I think it's an amplified rolling (bearing like noise) noise in the structure of the car, as if the suspension bushings were too hard and didn't filter the noise, or the shock absorber rubber, or the big aluminum crossmember amplify the noise
That's the only complain I have with the car, but this noise is killing all the enjoyement of using the car.
I just picked up my 2021 MME AWD std battery 2 days ago and instantly noticed the same low hum. It reminded me of a sound that a bad wheel bearing makes. It did seem to get louder with acceleration. I love all about the care except that noise

·
Registered
2021 MACH -e 4X Black
23 Posts
I just picked up my 2021 MME AWD std battery 2 days ago and instantly noticed the same low hum. It reminded me of a sound that a bad wheel bearing makes. It did seem to get louder with acceleration. I love all about the care except that noise
My car sounded like that too and the sound changed with different road surface, until I put 18' wheels and snow tires on. It might be the OEM tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car sounded like that too and the sound changed with different road surface, until I put 18' wheels and snow tires on. It might be the OEM tires.
As it did turn out it was the road surface and probably the tires also but that really has not been a problem, the problems is that I am a senior and the car is over my head tech wise. Another poster said that I should not worry about the tech and just enjoy and we may end up doing that after all but it was alot of money to spend for tech that you do not know how to use.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts