Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really disappointed that, like Tesla, Ford has opted for vinyl rather than leather seats. First, I really don’t believe vinyl will wear better than leather. Second, vinyl offgasses VOCs for a couple of years, and I dont want to be breathing it in. Some people appreciate that it’s cruelty free, and I get that. And when cattle are no longer raised for beef I’ll resign myself to vinyl. Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
I like leather seats, but they also have their fair share of off-gasses from processing and dyeing. Plus, unless you have true all-leather seats (only the most premium of vehicles have these), what you get are leather seating surfaces, so a majority of the seat is still vinyl.
The ActiveX material has a good look and feel. I don’t know how well it will age.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,790 Posts
I have MB-tex on my last two Mercedes: before that all my Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, BMW's and my present Ford Edge Sport had or has leather.

I prefer the MB-Tex to leather: cool and breathable in the summer, supple in the winter and much, much easier to clean and wears well.

Today's synthetic leathers are vastly improved from "vinyl" of even 5 years ago.

So to me no big deal at all!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree and was disappointed to hear them say Vinyl seats as it takes me back to what I had on my 1972 Pinto! My current car is a Mazda CX5 GT with durable black leather perforated heated seats and the cars prior to that had velour or cloth seats. Our Dodge challenger also has soft black leather seats. I hope they hold up for as long as they car does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like leather seats, but they also have their fair share of off-gasses from processing and dyeing. Plus, unless you have true all-leather seats (only the most premium of vehicles have these), what you get are leather seating surfaces, so a majority of the seat is still vinyl.
The ActiveX material has a good look and feel. I don’t know how well it will age.
I guess things have changed. My past two cars had all leather seats and they’ve held up beautifully. My car is a 2003 and there’s a little wear on the driver’s seat but the rest is mint. I’ve watched videos of old tesla seats and they don’t look good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have MB-tex on my last two Mercedes: before that all my Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, BMW's and my present Ford Edge Sport had or has leather.

I prefer the MB-Tex to leather: cool and breathable in the summer, supple in the winter and much, much easier to clean and wears well.

Today's synthetic leathers are vastly improved from "vinyl" of even 5 years ago.

So to me no big deal at all!
Shocked to hear Mercedes uses vinyl. I just got through chatting with Nissan. Their premium Leaf has leather seats. And a decent range of 226. No awd though. I’ve owned one american car in my life and it was terrible. Just weighing all the options.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E
112 Posts
Regular fabric for me. Because I don't stick to it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts