Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really disappointed that, like Tesla, Ford has opted for vinyl rather than leather seats. First, I really don’t believe vinyl will wear better than leather. Second, vinyl offgasses VOCs for a couple of years, and I dont want to be breathing it in. Some people appreciate that it’s cruelty free, and I get that. And when cattle are no longer raised for beef I’ll resign myself to vinyl. Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

·
Super Moderator
1,224 Posts
I like leather seats, but they also have their fair share of off-gasses from processing and dyeing. Plus, unless you have true all-leather seats (only the most premium of vehicles have these), what you get are leather seating surfaces, so a majority of the seat is still vinyl.
The ActiveX material has a good look and feel. I don’t know how well it will age.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
726 Posts
I have MB-tex on my last two Mercedes: before that all my Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, BMW's and my present Ford Edge Sport had or has leather.

I prefer the MB-Tex to leather: cool and breathable in the summer, supple in the winter and much, much easier to clean and wears well.

Today's synthetic leathers are vastly improved from "vinyl" of even 5 years ago.

So to me no big deal at all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree and was disappointed to hear them say Vinyl seats as it takes me back to what I had on my 1972 Pinto! My current car is a Mazda CX5 GT with durable black leather perforated heated seats and the cars prior to that had velour or cloth seats. Our Dodge challenger also has soft black leather seats. I hope they hold up for as long as they car does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like leather seats, but they also have their fair share of off-gasses from processing and dyeing. Plus, unless you have true all-leather seats (only the most premium of vehicles have these), what you get are leather seating surfaces, so a majority of the seat is still vinyl.
The ActiveX material has a good look and feel. I don’t know how well it will age.
I guess things have changed. My past two cars had all leather seats and they’ve held up beautifully. My car is a 2003 and there’s a little wear on the driver’s seat but the rest is mint. I’ve watched videos of old tesla seats and they don’t look good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have MB-tex on my last two Mercedes: before that all my Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, BMW's and my present Ford Edge Sport had or has leather.

I prefer the MB-Tex to leather: cool and breathable in the summer, supple in the winter and much, much easier to clean and wears well.

Today's synthetic leathers are vastly improved from "vinyl" of even 5 years ago.

So to me no big deal at all!
Shocked to hear Mercedes uses vinyl. I just got through chatting with Nissan. Their premium Leaf has leather seats. And a decent range of 226. No awd though. I’ve owned one american car in my life and it was terrible. Just weighing all the options.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback / 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select RWD SR
75 Posts
Regular fabric for me. Because I don't stick to it!

·
Super Moderator
1,224 Posts
I JUST WISH THE WHITE GT HAD OTHER INTERIOR COLOR CHOICES BESIDES BLACK. I'D PREFER TAN.
ANY MATERIAL IS FINE.
Please try not to type in capital letters, it looks like you are yelling.
Thank you :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts