Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much will the self driving over the air update cost when it’s out in 2021? Any ideas?

·
Registered
365 Posts
<tl;dr>We don't know the cost for hands-free driving yet.</tl;dr>

Here's what we know:

Vehicle must have the "Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 Prep Package" -- this is built in on Premium, First Edition, and California Route 1; for Select, it's part of the Comfort/Technology Package.

Active Drive Assist software package expected in 3rd quarter 2021. This, plus the hardware package, is what is required for hands-free driving on approved highways. The fee for the software package is unknown.

Hands-free driving is not self-driving. A human driver is still responsible and must remain attentive and ready to take over control.

OK this last part is my guess: hands-free driving ("Active Drive Assist") is going to require that the car's mapping/navigation system stays up to date. I think I remember Ford saying that updates are included for the first 3 years? They haven't said what happens after that, like how much is the subscription fee... But I'm assuming it's needed in order to keep the ADA functionality, since it relies on the map data to operate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The devil will, as always, be in the details on this. How much, what are the continuing costs (subscription fees etc.), and exactly on which roads will it actually be available to use? Given my location, unless its rather inexpensive, or the specs on it change (no divided, limited access roads here) I'll most likely pass.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know Tesla asks you to pay a one time fee. I would rather prefer a subscription model.
I think I prefer the subscription, too. I like that I can stop paying when I don't need/want it, and not pay too much in advance for something I'm not going to use.

Tesla has a subscription offering, also... but I think it's unique across car brands in that their navigation data is included even for non-subscribers. The subscription is just for other uses of cellular connectivity, such as live traffic data and aerial/satellite imagery. I'm not sure if subscribers benefit by having live traffic info influencing nav routing decisions?

On a new "premium interior" Tesla, 1 year of mobile connectivity is included and then it's $10/month. It will be interesting to see how much Ford asks after the included years are over.

Ford's approach is a hybrid, IMHO. You pay up front for the needed hardware (built into cost of certain trims), and then you can choose to pay one time fees to acquire different software licenses. (The only one we know about so far is Active Drive Assist.) And then after the vehicle's 36+ months old, you may need to pay some sort of recurring fee for continued access to navigation data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t know the subscription fees monthly for Tesla but one time charge was 8K for hands-free driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
I think I prefer the subscription, too. I like that I can stop paying when I don't need/want it, and not pay too much in advance for something I'm not going to use.

Tesla has a subscription offering, also... but I think it's unique across car brands in that their navigation data is included even for non-subscribers. The subscription is just for other uses of cellular connectivity, such as live traffic data and aerial/satellite imagery. I'm not sure if subscribers benefit by having live traffic info influencing nav routing decisions?

On a new "premium interior" Tesla, 1 year of mobile connectivity is included and then it's $10/month. It will be interesting to see how much Ford asks after the included years are over.

Ford's approach is a hybrid, IMHO. You pay up front for the needed hardware (built into cost of certain trims), and then you can choose to pay one time fees to acquire different software licenses. (The only one we know about so far is Active Drive Assist.) And then after the vehicle's 36+ months old, you may need to pay some sort of recurring fee for continued access to navigation data.
I gather the same thing. it looks like there will be a recurring monthly data access charge for the Sync 4A system after three years for its connected services.

I hope Ford aligns the FordPass charging network monthly fee with the above data access. Currently, there is only two-year complementary access to the charging network. They should make it three-years as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
I don’t know the subscription fees monthly for Tesla but one time charge was 8K for hands-free driving.
If Ford charges 2,000 for the ADA system, plus a monthly fee of $15/month after the first year for access, it would still take over 400 months (33+ years) to equal the price of the Tesla software.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If Ford charges 2,000 for the ADA system, plus a monthly fee of $15/month after the first year for access, it would still take over 400 months (33+ years) to equal the price of the Tesla software.
Thinking about it some more, it's kind of weird to compare them this way... Most of the $8k is a cash donation to Tesla. They claim it will get you everything necessary to eventually get full self driving, but it's patently untrue. It does give you some other functions though, including cruise control with lane changes, unreliable parking, and party tricks like auto summon. For $8k, you do NOT get hands-free driving in any situation.

On the Ford side, the functions are bundled differently. At this point, the only thing you get for the undisclosed ADA fee is hands-free driving. I think Ford will announce some other add-ons, but they're not detailing out or promising things they haven't accomplished, yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For what it's worth. I keep getting emails from Ford that I have to upgrade my maps for my Sync 3 in my 2017 Mustang. Cost, $150US. My iPhone gets free map upgrades. I just plug my phone in when I need navigation.
It's not like roads change all that often . . . the navigation on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid has never been updated and it still works fine 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
994 Posts
It's not like roads change all that often . . . the navigation on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid has never been updated and it still works fine 99.9% of the time.
Our Prius required buying CDs with the new maps. We waited until a major new cross-county toll road went in and was picked up in the map updates. The nav system went nuts when it thought we were driving through an empty park at 60 mph. Only update we ever bought.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For what it's worth. I keep getting emails from Ford that I have to upgrade my maps for my Sync 3 in my 2017 Mustang. Cost, $150US. My iPhone gets free map upgrades. I just plug my phone in when I need navigation.
I got a letter that an update was available for new maps on my 2017 Lincoln MKX. I decided to bite. I first needed to update the Sync 3 to a newer version of Sync 3. That update was free from Ford by downloading to a USB drive. Then I tried updating the maps by downloading since it was $40 cheaper than buying it on a USB. My downloading attempts failed. When I expanded the compressed file I was never able to get the files and folders in a format that made my car happy. So I ordered the map update on the USB. Installing went great but I had to keep the car running for 45 minutes to complete. I think if you use the NAV search function to find POI by name the updated maps are more accurate. You can also use your phone and google if you do not mind using a lot of cell data. Navigation via the car's system is more reliable if you are in an area of spotty cell coverage.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think that’s expensive
Yes, $8000 is very expensive for consumer software (businesses often pay well in excess of $20k for specialized software). However, it is very complex software requiring billions of dollars in R&D.

As for Ford, I suspect that the software license will be in the $3000 - $5000 range for the software, with a follow-on monthly fee of $20 - $30 after the initial 3 year period. That is a hunch based on a guess.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
211 Posts
Yes, $8000 is very expensive for consumer software (businesses often pay well in excess of $20k for specialized software). However, it is very complex software requiring billions of dollars in R&D.

As for Ford, I suspect that the software license will be in the $3000 - $5000 range for the software, with a follow-on monthly fee of $20 - $30 after the initial 3 year period. That is a hunch based on a guess.
Time will tell, but I am hoping that Ford is even MORE aggressive to compete with Tesla and their ridiculous $8K cost for what is essentially vapor ware right now. I'm hoping for $1,000 or less when they make comments like the fact that the price will be reasonable and we will be very pleased with the cost. They need to come out of the gate swinging to catch up to Tesla. $3-$5K I think is a non-starter for many of us here.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts

Ford is licensing the ADA hardware/software from Intel’s MobilEye. The MobilEye AI appears far superior to Tesla’s. We have to see the extent of the MMe implementation.

What people forget, Telsa’s original autopilot was actually MobilEye technology. MobilEye broke off with Telsa because of Tesla’s refusal to stop promoting AutoPilot as self-driving.

MobilEye wants more cars on the road with its system, so it can get more data mapped into its AI. I would be surprised if the price tops $2000. I would expect an introductory price of maybe $1,499, since we are early adopters.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts