Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
All kinds of cool stuff there from the big jump in kW per kg to the ability to easily swap out batteries to upgrade the car. Bodes well for replacing just battery vs. entire car for high mileage drivers like myself that will see 100k+ in four years. Car is great but battery might have dropped 29% of capacity range at 100k so swap in a battery.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
193 Posts
Does anyone know if the battery in the mach e will be easily replaceable?

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
193 Posts
How likely would it be that the mach e could be retrofitted with a solid state battery? Do we have any reason to believe ford would try to adapt the technology if it were to become available?

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How likely would it be that the mach e could be retrofitted with a solid state battery? Do we have any reason to believe ford would try to adapt the technology if it were to become available?
If it proves to be a better system, sure why not. As to a retrofit possible but my guess is 20+K might be better to trade in and up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anyone know if the battery in the mach e will be easily replaceable?
Sure, it unbolts from the bottom if you have Ford's special hoist and you have a spare $32,000 in your bank account, labor not included. That assumes you are past the warranty. That is the price I see on Fordparts.com for the complete battery assembly. WOW

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't think they'd bother until a next-gen Mach-E would come out. That's about 5 years away in terms of sales, but probably only 3 years away from them talking about it.

I'd love to know what goes on in the engineering planning for a vehicle like this. How far are they already into talking about the next-gen model?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sure, it unbolts from the bottom if you have Ford's special hoist and you have a spare $32,000 in your bank account, labor not included. That assumes you are past the warranty. That is the price I see on Fordparts.com for the complete battery assembly. WOW
only $32k... lol
That's crazy!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
The whole battery management system would be different, cooling would be different, chargers would be different, wiring harnesses would be different. I guess the aluminum case that holds the battery packs could be reused but that is probably the cheapest part of the battery assembly. I think the chance of a retrofit is nil, but it could be part of a 4-5 yr model upgrade. Have these solid state batteries been tested in any production vehicles yet? I doubt it. It is probably still in the lab or pilot stages where companies are competing for bragging rights.

With proper care the current generation of batteries will likely last the life of the vehicles they are installed in. I read a report on a company that ran a taxi service in California that ran a Tesla Model X to 400,000 miles and kept detailed records on maintenance. They replaced the battery at 350,000 miles and somehow got Tesla to pay for it. There was a lot of maintenance that should not have been necessary, (doors, seats, excessive tire wear etc.) but it still ended up being cheaper than an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
451 Posts
@peugfan Toyota has plans for a solid state battery. Should be interesting to watch developments around it.
It's going to be an interesting race to see who gets first to market. My guess would be Hyundai since Toyota has been dragging their feet on electric cars.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
Ford and BMW have partnered with Solid Power with their tech. The tech exists, it just needs to be scaled for mass production.

“High performance and highly manufacturable all-solid-state batteries.
Inside the Solid Power facility

Our Solution

As the name implies, our solid-state batteries (ASSB) replace the liquid electrolyte in a conventional lithium-ion battery with a highly stable solid ion-conducting material. As a result, our ASSBs are inherently more stable across a broad temperature range while also enabling more efficient cell and pack designs as containment of a liquid is no longer required.
By simply combining a state-of-the-art cathode with a lithium metal anode, Solid Power’s ASSBs can deliver greater than 50% more energy density compared to the best available rechargeable batteries. By removing flammable liquid electrolytes, we provide an inherently safer battery with a simplified cell architecture. Finally, our ASSBs are manufactured in a manner that is highly compatible with industry-standard roll-to-roll manufacturing used in current lithium-ion production.

Battery production equipment

The Science

Our technology suite begins with our solid electrolyte material. We have developed a family of inorganic solid electrolyte materials that are uniquely suited to their intended use. High cell-level energy is enabled through the use of metallic lithium as an anode, a material with a capacity 10 times greater than the graphite anodes used in current lithium-ion batteries. By enabling a metallic lithium anode, we can deliver an energy density and specific energy that greatly surpasses the best available rechargeable batteries. The combination of increased safety, higher energy, and design simplicity translate into lower cost battery systems by eliminating many of the highly engineered safety and thermal management features that are necessary with today’s lithium-ion batteries.”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts