Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Wow. I'm guessing the Mach E's front end collision test did not go well. Is this just a European thing? It renders the frunk practically unusable.

Registered
I doubt the plastic dividers have any appreciable impact on crash safety.

I think they are there to limit Ford's liability in the event a child, unconscious frat boy, or small animal is trapped in the airtight frunk, suffocates, and dies.

Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
I think it's so it can't be filled with bodies. But we don't know yet. All we know is the dividers will be installed "with intent of non-removal for safety reasons."

I hope not!

Where did you read that?

Registered
I hope not!

Where did you read that?
Over on the other Mach-E Forum, @Jhalkias posted his view of the Q&A transcript (different participants seem to see different subsets of the Q&A's) from the Mach-E web series that Ford recently completed.

Here is the link, you'll need to remove the spaces since this site censors its competitors: www. macheforum .com/site/threads/mach-e-web-series-part-3-can-someone-please-post-the-correct-link-before-tomorrow.1506/

Relevant portion:

from John Halkias (Guest External) to All Panelists: 7:11 PM

Is there a divider in the Frunk?

from Lisa Teed (Ford) to Everyone: 7:12 PM

The Front Truck has dividers.

from Lisa Teed (Ford) to Everyone: 7:15 PM

The Front Trunk dividers are installed at the manufacturing plant and attached with the intent as non-removal.

from Lisa Teed (Ford) to Everyone: 7:27 PM

The pre-production images reflect the trunk without dividers. The front truck will come from the manufacturing plant with dividers for safety.

Registered
Mercedes Benz B250e
I think the divider will be removable, looks like there are handles left and right...

Is this just a European thing? It renders the frunk practically unusable.
The Mach-E shown must be for the european market: unlike us you american guys get the pony in the divider as well! (Picture postet by ChasingCoral a few months ago i the "Mach-E Frunk Storage System Revealed" thread):

Registered
I think the divider will be removable, looks like there are handles left and right...

The Mach-E shown must be for the european market: unlike us you american guys get the pony in the divider as well! (Picture postet by ChasingCoral a few months ago i the "Mach-E Frunk Storage System Revealed" thread):

The cars being shown around are prototypes. I'm hoping the masked out pony is present on customer vehicles.

Sounds to me like the dividers are removable with the right tools, given the phrasing "with the intent as non-removal" (emphasis added is my own),

Registered
Exactly, that鈥榮 right. I asked for that and they even showed me how to remove it. By the way, the divider is made of soft plastic. This will definately not affact safety.
When you say they showed you how to remove it, did they actually take it out? Or is it more a case of "here's where to break the clips to get it out", and once removed it won't go back?

Super Moderator
Ford will need to specify the actual 鈥榮afety reason鈥 or 90% of MMe owners will probably just remove it themselves.

No other Frunk has dividers, so what gives?

Registered
Ford will need to specify the actual 鈥榮afety reason鈥 or 90% of MMe owners will probably just remove it themselves.

No other Frunk has dividers, so what gives?
US regulations (at least) requires that any trunk with space above a certain volume has a release inside in case someone is trapped in there. A frunk needs a secondary latch for safety while driving, which makes it difficult to open for someone stuck inside. Best guess is the Mach E frunk crosses that volume threshold.

Super Moderator
US regulations (at least) requires that any trunk with space above a certain volume has a release inside in case someone is trapped in there. A frunk needs a secondary latch for safety while driving, which makes it difficult to open for someone stuck inside. Best guess is the Mach E frunk crosses that volume threshold.
There is an internal release in the MMe Frunk. And there are other automobiles with larger frunks that don鈥檛 have dividers.

Doesn鈥檛 make sense.

Adult woman in Model X frunk:

And the Model S:

Registered
The frunk on MME is air tight. If a child or animal get in there they will suffocate. Unlike other frunks no air gets in or out. It has nothing to do with collision testing. Those plastic dividers wouldnt do anything in collision testing. And if that's the biggest concern of safety testing its a good sign the rest is good.

Registered
The frunk on MME is air tight. If a child or animal get in there they will suffocate. Unlike other frunks no air gets in or out. It has nothing to do with collision testing. Those plastic dividers wouldnt do anything in collision testing. And if that's the biggest concern of safety testing its a goid sign the rest is good.

Are you sure?

I thought it was designed to let water, ice etc. drain out.

It is possible to hose it down and the water drains out.

That to me would indicate that it is not air tight.

Registered
It drains out if you open the plug otherwise air tight.
I really doubt it.

Too make something air tight requires precise fitting, at extreme expense for no purpose.

If it were truly airtight going from altitude say Colorado to sea level would cause the "frunk" to cave in.

What is your source?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts