Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a tow truck driving around with a pair of Tesla spare wheel/tires on it's bed. The tow company has a contract with Tesla to respond with a spare tire when a Tesla needs roadside assistance due to a flat, since Tesla's don't have a spare tire.

Anyone know if our Mach-E's will come with a spare or not?

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
There is neither a spare or a space to carry one.
There is only a flat-fix kit, jack, and tire-iron.
You will have to rely on Ford’s roadside assistance to get you to the nearest dealership or tire-shop if its more than a puncture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I keep a plug kit in most of my vehicles. They've saved my butt several times, especially on my motorcycle.

I'll do the same for my Mach-E, but will probably add a small air compressor too, since there's absolutely no spare.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,949 Posts
Thanks

I keep a plug kit in most of my vehicles. They've saved my butt several times, especially on my motorcycle.

I'll do the same for my Mach-E, but will probably add a small air compressor too, since there's absolutely no spare.
In my Mercedes, with run flats but no spare, I keep a plug in air compressor. I will not use a foam or other tire inflator as the TPM must then be replaced and if the "goo" is not cleaned from the wheel within a few hours, the labor to remove the goo cost more than a new wheel.

If I do not have a complete blow out, I intend to keep the tire inflated enough with the air compressor, so that it is not driving on the sidewalls, drive to the nearest repair shop and then have the tire patched - which you can do on RF tires.

A decent air compressor at Home Deport is about $55.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
In my Mercedes, with run flats but no spare, I keep a plug in air compressor. I will not use a foam or other tire inflator as the TPM must then be replaced and if the "goo" is not cleaned from the wheel within a few hours, the labor to remove the goo cost more than a new wheel.

If I do not have a complete blow out, I intend to keep the tire inflated enough with the air compressor, so that it is not driving on the sidewalls, drive to the nearest repair shop and then have the tire patched - which you can do on RF tires.

A decent air compressor at Home Deport is about $55.

I just looked in my vehicle, the tire repair kit includes a compressor. But no jack or tire-iron.
so, i looked for a video on its use and found this:

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
221 Posts
This company makes spare kits for Teslas. I am hoping they do one for the ME. I would probably buy one to put in my hatch when on a trip. Waiting for Roadside Assistance is NEVER fun.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yup. I just can't be bothered to wait. And then watch someone else do it. I mean... if I can't do it... that's fine. But if I can, I'd prefer to.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Better hope not. Just go to a BMW forum and see what people think of them.
I have run flats on my Mercedes. Almost all cars are now equipped with run flats:

• Save the weight of a spare + jack to improve fuel economy
  • Manufacturers feel people no longer know and if they know no longer want to change a flat
On the Mercedes Forum run flats are discussed. Most are against as they ride harsher.

BMW has for $150 an option for a spare tire. Most manufacturers do not.

I hope that the MME will have a spare tire option, but I am not counting on it.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,249 Posts
I have run flats on my Mercedes. Almost all cars are now equipped with run flats:

• Save the weight of a spare + jack to improve fuel economy
  • Manufacturers feel people no longer know and if they know no longer want to change a flat
On the Mercedes Forum run flats are discussed. Most are against as they ride harsher.

BMW has for $150 an option for a spare tire. Most manufacturers do not.

I hope that the MME will have a spare tire option, but I am not counting on it.
There's no place to put one unless you want it sitting looks in the back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
most likely we will have to have run flats
Run flats are the worst if you're on a long drive. I had them on my MINI and they made an already hard ride even harder. Totally fine for day to day commuting, but not fun on a long road trip. Plus they're a lot more expensive than normal tires.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Run flats are the worst if you're on a long drive. I had them on my MINI and they made an already hard ride even harder. Totally fine for day to day commuting, but not fun on a long road trip. Plus they're a lot more expensive than normal tires.
Nope I must disagree:

Whatever tire you put on a Mini do not expect a smooth ride. Expecting a smooth ride in a mini is an oxymoron. My mother had Mini and I drove it often: fine for scooting around town and local driving but outright frightening, and I believe dangerous, on a Interstate especially as 18 wheelers pass you.

My last two cars have been E class Mercedes. The 2016 did not have run flat tires. The 2019 has RF tires. The ride in the 2019 with RF is far superior to the 2016 without RF. The 2019 with RF is an absolute joy on long trips: smooth and quiet.

On the Mercedes Benz forum 95% to 100% of those who complain about RF are those who opted for the "performance" wheels which are bigger, 19" and 20" wheels vs. the standard 18" wheel. With a larger wheel you have a smaller and stiffer sidewall which results in a harsher ride. Not one owner who had the standard 18" wheels complained about the ride quality with RF.

The real problem with RF is that it permits the manufacturer to eliminate the compact spare - not the ride quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope I must disagree ...
I can only speak to my personal experience but I've driven and ridden in MINIs with run flats and those without and found a noticeable difference in the ride quality. As you said, the ride is stiff regardless, but the run flats do make it worse. Again, from my personal experience only.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I can only speak to my personal experience but I've driven and ridden in MINIs with run flats and those without and found a noticeable difference in the ride quality. As you said, the ride is stiff regardless, but the run flats do make it worse. Again, from my personal experience only.
A comparison between different Minis, possible of different years and possible with different suspensions, "I've driven and ridden in MINIs" is not a reliable comparison of Minis with and without RF.

A true comparison would be the same Mini or two similar Minis: one with RF and one without RF.

This was my point about the Mercedes Forum: the members driving similar Mercedes, same year and model, with RF and standard wheels had no problem with RF. Those that opted for the performance wheels, same year and model, complained about the RF. The RF were not the problem - the size of the wheel was. That is an apples to apples comparison.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
Ford should use the Primacy A/S with the self-seal technology on the Mach-E, like they make available on the 2020 Ford Explorer.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Ford should use the Primacy A/S with the self-seal technology on the Mach-E, like they make available on the 2020 Ford Explorer.
I do not know why, but manufacturers are gravitating away from the self-seal to the Run Flat technology.

Perhaps because in the event of a large blowout the RF can still go 70 miles while the self-seal may leave you stranded?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Didn't realize flats were a big issue still. Have I been just incredibly fortunate all these years? I've not gotten a flat in like 20 years. Worst thing that happened during that period was a slow leak that had to be plugged a (a very unique self drilling/tapping screw not available in any big box HW stores... still trying to figure out where I picked that one up). I do bias my car close to the center of the road when I am driving so I'm well away from the curve, storm drains, etc... where the crud normally gathers. Anyway... MME is not a road trip car so no big deal if there's no spare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
most likely we will have to have run flats
All RF's are not made the same. I have yet to see any RF brand rated for "XL" rating, Mach e OEM tires got 'XL" rating. BMW & Mercedes have equipped RF as OEM for past ten years to achieve CAFE goals by eliminating spare thus shaving off unnecessary weight - go to any of BMW & Mercedes forums and read how the RF's are despised and loved by its members. Mercedes & BMW suspension components (bearing & bushing) are tuned specifically for the harsher RF tires; its springs and shocks calibrated to compensate for the inherent higher unsprung weight. Mercedes MOExtended Mobility RF's are softer and more pliable than BMW "Star" rated RF's. My BMW rode like a concrete truck and my Mercedes was no better. I know RF works well based on my personal experience but I don't know how well it will fare on a much heavier EV. I have had pleasant experience from AAA road assistance, way more responsive than any manufacturer's, they responded faster and I was stranded in a West Virginia back road in the wee hours of the night and I am confident in the reliability of the AAA road assistance ,and I will not arbitrarily install RF tires in the Mach e if it was not OEM specified as such.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts