Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my Iconic Silver Mach-e and really love driving it. One question for anyone who might know though:

The wheels (the plate that the caliper actually attaches to) has rust colored staining after only nine days. On the front two wheels it looks almost as if liquid was splashed up on it. On the right rear wheel, the color is evenly spread as if it's just very accelerated rust, and on the left rear wheel there's none at all. Anyone here might be more knowledgeable can give me a clue? Thanks

·
Registered
2021 MME FE E4X, Carbonized Gray Matallic, AWD
75 Posts
Received my Iconic Silver Mach-e and really love driving it. One question for anyone who might know though:

The wheels (the plate that the caliper actually attaches to) has rust colored staining after only nine days. On the front two wheels it looks almost as if liquid was splashed up on it. On the right rear wheel, the color is evenly spread as if it's just very accelerated rust, and on the left rear wheel there's none at all. Anyone here might be more knowledgeable can give me a clue? Thanks
Aloha pcp101, this is our 3rd BEV, we have experienced the same rusty break disk on all three. My personal opinion is that the regenerative breaking doesn't actually apply the breaks to the disk. I'm sure others will let me know if I'm wrong (will not be the first time). After I wash my MME, I drive around the block and actually break, I find this to greatly reduce the rusting. You will want to wipe away all that rust right away. On last tip is to apply a sealant to your wheels and follow up with a wax. Wheels don't usually get so much attention from owners. However, your shiny wheels on your MME will get a lot of attention from onlookers! Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,685 Posts

Aloha pcp101, this is our 3rd BEV, we have experienced the same rusty break disk on all three. My personal opinion is that the regenerative breaking doesn't actually apply the breaks to the disk. I'm sure others will let me know if I'm wrong (will not be the first time). After I wash my MME, I drive around the block and actually break, I find this to greatly reduce the rusting. You will want to wipe away all that rust right away. On last tip is to apply a sealant to your wheels and follow up with a wax. Wheels don't usually get so much attention from owners. However, your shiny wheels on your MME will get a lot of attention from onlookers! Enjoy your new ride!
Are you talking about the discs?

If you are, then it is common that they all have "rust" on them. In a normal ICE, when you apply the brakes, the film of rust is immediately removed. After washing my ICE, I often see this "rust" on the discs.. As soon as I drive and apply the brakes the rust is removed.

Regenerative braking does not involve apply the brakes and the reason why brake life expectancy is expected to be more than 80,000 miles vs. less than half that on an ICE.

Hope this clarifies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts