Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Star White Premium 4X is here in town, spending some time visiting various dealerships and maybe an upcoming car show.

Several of us with reservations or orders had a chance to check it out this weekend. So I was super excited to finally see one in real life. No test drives, but we could sit in the car and mess around with controls and such.

Outside first impressions:

Car doesn't look imposingly big or anything like that. Except for its wheels. My eyes were drawn to them right away. Coming from a Fiesta with (upgraded) 16" wheels, the Mach-E 19" wheels and tires just looked overly big for the appearance of the rest of the car. This is probably part of its illusion, since the inside of the Mach-E is in fact way bigger than Fiesta.

The car looks great. The only sort of "off" thing to me is the glossy black trim pieces contrasting with the pearlescent white body. But I got over it pretty quickly... The body shape and style looks better in real life than what I've been seeing in photos.

The brunk (back trunk) is really easy to open and close, especially with the power liftgate.

The frunk doesn't have an open button on it. You have to use the key fob, FordPass app, or a lever inside the car near the driver footwell. There might also be a touch screen option or voice command for it. I did not check.

The frunk appears much smaller than I had imagined from photos. Afterwards, I compared it to other photos we've seen, and it's the same... It just looks bigger in photos than IRL.

The storage dividers in the frunk are a nice addition from Ford, but they are attached to the frunk bin with a few torx screws. Some folks already have plans of replacing those with velcro or similar, or removing them altogether. I'll keep them in place until I have some good reason to remove them. I might keep otherwise loose items up there, like a spare charge cord and maybe some emergency supplies.

The drain in the frunk doesn't have a stopper on it. We've heard that it's "automatic" so either it's just always an open drain, or there's a lightweight oneway valve just below the visible drain.

I could barely hear the pedestrian warning sounds as I stood outside while the dealership sales guy was moving the car. Possibly too quiet? There was loud background HVAC noise from the dealership though.

Headlights look awesome. Probably one of my favorite features of the exterior. There's even a Mustang in each headlight. (Actually, there are ponies hidden ALL OVER this vehicle. And a few Ford logos, but VERY few of them.)

I'll follow up with initial thoughts on the interior.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Transitioning from exterior to interior -- first thing I notice is the doors. They look fantastic without door handles. When you approach the car, you press the button in the B or C pillar to open the corresponding door. The button is outlined in a soft-white ring and looks nice. It also feels excellent to use. Lightly press the button (it depresses slightly; it's not capacitive) and the door opens a bit. Then pull it the rest of the way. It's far smoother and easier than I'm describing it.

Now that we're in the car, to exit there are non-traditional upward pointing paddles recessed into the door armrests. They have an excellent texture and feel to them and are also rewarding to use. No issues here.

Onward to the rest of the interior:

I sat in all of the seats. :) Very comfortable for a quick sit, but we won't know true comfort until we can drive under regular conditions. I couldn't drive it at all, so...

The rear headrests can be removed fairly easily. They also slide up and down, including the center position. But none of them tilt or fold. The front headrests slide up and down as well as tilt fore/aft. (Same as on my Fiesta -- the way Ford allows the headrest tilt is incredibly thoughtful and easy for the user.)

Soft touch materials almost everywhere. This was the light interior. It's a creamy color maybe somewhere a little closer to white than to beige. I was hoping it wouldn't be too cold/cool looking. It has a decent warmth to it. I think I will love it. Since my last few cars were black interior this will be a nice change.

Lots more driver settings on the SYNC system than what I was expecting. I didn't take photos of them, and didn't write them down... But I was surprised by how many customizations are already available in there.

Glove box is quite small for this size of car. It might be the same size or just very slightly bigger than my Fiesta glove box. It looks easy to remove the box. I wanted to see if there was easy access to a cabin air filter behind it, but with people watching I was too skiddish to finish removing the glove box to check.

The center storage bin is also on the smaller side, because of the aesthetic that Ford's designers were aiming for. It has a nice sliding cover over it. Then there's a gap space of several inches before you get to the arm rest. Some people might want to store a bag or purse in that gap space, and though it looks good, I'd have preferred more of the enclosed storage area. The arm rest seemed comfortable.

Touch screen is bright and responsive. It's also pretty warm to the touch (on the actual glass display side, not the plastic sides or back). Controls seemed very nice. One drawback to me is the giant sliders that appear while adjusting certain settings like fan speed and desired temperature. There's also plus/minus controls. I prefer to use those and if possible, I'll be disabling the slider appearance.

Hatch area has a load shelf that can be completely removed, or set to one of two different heights above the actual floor. This shelf is light weight but extremely sturdy. Unlike the load shelf, the actual floor isn't completely flat. There is a styrofoam piece that's shaped so that it sits within a recessed well area that is roughly 1/3rd the size of a spare tire. So no room for a spare tire. Inside the styrofoam piece is the tire repair and inflation kit, and a space where the mobile charger can be stowed. (The mobile charger wasn't in this car, we didn't get to see it.)

The black cargo screen is trivially simple to remove and reinstall. The only reason I'd remove it is for storing tall cargo that might bump into the screen.

Lots of lighting all around the inside of the car, including in the hatch area. Plenty of lighting outside the car and in the frunk, too. Here's one of the lights in the brunk, with yes indeed, another horse.

Anyway, I'm glad I got to sit in the car and mess around with its creature comforts. Next step will be test driving the car I actually ordered, whenever it decides to finally show up. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Below is what I wrote on the other forum from my visit:
I just got back from seeing it. Had about 45-mins with it to sit in and play with buttons. Couldn't ride in it and I couldn't convince anyone to help me steal it. I guess grand-theft auto is a felony, I don't know. Anyway, here are my stream of conscious notes:

+ This car is very well-built with a premium feel.
+ Touchscreen is very responsive
+ Lots of room in both the front and rear seats of the interior, more than my C-Max. Cargo area as well.
+ The cell phone charging area seemed big enough for almost all phones. If you want, you can take that little rubber mat out for cleaning or if your phone is too big.
+ When putting in nav destinations, it will automatically add chargers if needed (this is an option).
+ Seats are more comfortable than my C-Max.
+ Lots of different settings and configuration options.
+ Passenger seat is also power adjustable
+ Door handles are very nice. I actually prefer it over any other car's handles. It's effortless and I think easier to use when hands are full.
+ A few lights on the rear lift gate pointing at you and into the car when opened. They have little pony's too!
+ You could zoom into each individual camera on the display.
* It's an extended range AWD premium, showing 268 miles of range.
* I didn't see any Aux or line-in connector anywhere
* Top glass was warm to the hand to touch but I didn't feel heat radiate through it. Although the sun wasn't beating in to it either.
- Rear visibility is not great although rear headrests are removable.
- It has dimples in the front to help align a front-license plate holder, which I don't need in Arizona. More of an OCD issue really.
- Cover was missing on the front cam washer. Not sure if it was broken by someone or it's supposed to be that way, but looked sort of odd close-up.
? For some reason the horn honked every time the door was shut. My C-Max will do that if the key is not inside but only when the last door is shut. Not sure if that is some sort of setting or what.
? Plotted a trip to Disneyland in the Nav system and it automatically added L2 chargers. I don't know if there was some setting that said it preferred L2 over L3 or what the deal was. There are tons of options and didn't get a chance to peruse them all.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Except it was doing that with one door still open.
But it was the driver door that was closing, right? (Now I can't remember for sure.) And the key used to start the car wasn't inside the car.

My car would do exactly the same.

I suspect none of the other doors matter if they open or close while the car is in Park.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I appreciated your report on seeing the Star White Mach E here in Phoenix. I didn’t know there was one here? Can you point me to where I could possible see one? I’m based in Wisconsin and ordered mine last February. I’m out here in Phoenix until Oct 28 and would love to go see this one. Can you give me any direction? Thanks much. Brian

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Except it was doing that with one door still open.
The horn also sounds if the keyfob is in the vehicle and the drivers and front passenger seats are empty, and one of those doors close. It also sounds twice if you try to lock the vehicle with a door, hood, or trunk/liftgate ajar.

basically, check your doors, keys and if car running if it toots twice.

Anyway, did you see/feel anything that would be a negative or a dealbreaker?

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Transitioning from exterior to interior -- first thing I notice is the doors. They look fantastic without door handles. When you approach the car, you press the button in the B or C pillar to open the corresponding door. The button is outlined in a soft-white ring and looks nice. It also feels excellent to use. Lightly press the button (it depresses slightly; it's not capacitive) and the door opens a bit. Then pull it the rest of the way. It's far smoother and easier than I'm describing it.

Now that we're in the car, to exit there are non-traditional upward pointing paddles recessed into the door armrests. They have an excellent texture and feel to them and are also rewarding to use. No issues here.

I sat in all of the seats. :) Very comfortable for a quick sit, but we won't know true comfort until we can drive under regular conditions. I couldn't drive it at all, so...

The rear headrests can be removed fairly easily. They also slide up and down, including the center position. But none of them tilt or fold. The front headrests slide up and down as well as tilt fore/aft. (Same as on my Fiesta -- the way Ford allows the headrest tilt is incredibly thoughtful and easy for the user.)

Soft touch materials almost everywhere. This was the light interior. It's a creamy color maybe somewhere a little closer to white than to beige. I was hoping it wouldn't be too cold/cool looking. It has a decent warmth to it. I think I will love it. Since my last few cars were black interior this will be a nice change.

Lots more driver settings on the SYNC system than what I was expecting. I didn't take photos of them, and didn't write them down... But I was surprised by how many customizations are already available in there.

Glove box is quite small for this size of car. It might be the same size or just very slightly bigger than my Fiesta glove box. It looks easy to remove the box. I wanted to see if there was easy access to a cabin air filter behind it, but with people watching I was too skiddish to finish removing the glove box to check.

The center storage bin is also on the smaller side, because of the aesthetic that Ford's designers were aiming for. It has a nice sliding cover over it. Then there's a gap space of several inches before you get to the arm rest. Some people might want to store a bag or purse in that gap space, and though it looks good, I'd have preferred more of the enclosed storage area. The arm rest seemed comfortable.

Touch screen is bright and responsive. It's also pretty warm to the touch (on the actual glass display side, not the plastic sides or back). Controls seemed very nice. One drawback to me is the giant sliders that appear while adjusting certain settings like fan speed and desired temperature. There's also plus/minus controls. I prefer to use those and if possible, I'll be disabling the slider appearance.

Hatch area has a load shelf that can be completely removed, or set to one of two different heights above the actual floor. This shelf is light weight but extremely sturdy. Unlike the load shelf, the actual floor isn't completely flat. There is a styrofoam piece that's shaped so that it sits within a recessed well area that is roughly 1/3rd the size of a spare tire. So no room for a spare tire. Inside the styrofoam piece is the tire repair and inflation kit, and a space where the mobile charger can be stowed. (The mobile charger wasn't in this car, we didn't get to see it.)

The black cargo screen is trivially simple to remove and reinstall. The only reason I'd remove it is for storing tall cargo that might bump into the screen.

Lots of lighting all around the inside of the car, including in the hatch area. Plenty of lighting outside the car and in the frunk, too. Here's one of the lights in the brunk, with yes indeed, another horse.

View attachment 2706

Anyway, I'm glad I got to sit in the car and mess around with its creature comforts. Next step will be test driving the car I actually ordered, whenever it decides to finally show up. :)
Excellent review. did you see/feel anything that was a negative or dealbreaker for you?

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Hi. I appreciated your report on seeing the Star White Mach E here in Phoenix. I didn’t know there was one here? Can you point me to where I could possible see one? I’m based in Wisconsin and ordered mine last February. I’m out here in Phoenix until Oct 28 and would love to go see this one. Can you give me any direction? Thanks much. Brian
Please check the link below to see if one will be near you:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Mach E tours are all on the West and East coasts. Nothing anywhere else. I get it, these are the high population density areas. But this sucks for all of us who live elsewhere.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This site prevents me from cross posting links, but the guy who alerted us to this opportunity let us know over on the other Mach-E Forum. He has some inside contacts and heard from them that this vehicle is primarily here for the upcoming Barrett Jackson show in Scottsdale. I think it is happening next week.

So the car was at San Tan Ford (and briefly at Sanderson Ford) until some point today. Now it gets sent over to a detailer and back to its Ford press team, who are then apparently bringing it to that auto show.

I'm surprised the auto show isn't cancelled due to covid. So it might be hugely scaled down or a modified format. Not sure.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent review. did you see/feel anything that was a negative or dealbreaker for you?
None of the negatives that I mentioned are any kind of deal breaker for me.

The big unknown is how it handles and driver feedback type stuff.

I verified that my dealer order deposit is refundable. So if the test drive of my ordered car doesn't go well, I can back out.

Not sure what I'd get instead though. I really want to go all electric and our options in Phoenix are limited. Could look more into Bolt, ID.4, or maybe I-Pace. (Assuming those are all sold here but did not verify.)

·
Registered
612 Posts
This site prevents me from cross posting links, but the guy who alerted us to this opportunity let us know over on the other Mach-E Forum. He has some inside contacts and heard from them that this vehicle is primarily here for the upcoming Barrett Jackson show in Scottsdale. I think it is happening next week.

So the car was at San Tan Ford (and briefly at Sanderson Ford) until some point today. Now it gets sent over to a detailer and back to its Ford press team, who are then apparently bringing it to that auto show.

I'm surprised the auto show isn't cancelled due to covid. So it might be hugely scaled down or a modified format. Not sure.
Incredible review @macchiaz-o! If the Mach-E is there for Barrett Jackson, I wonder if it's just for show or if they're going to do a charity auction for the first one or something.

·
Registered
MME Premium extended range AWD
29 Posts

View attachment 2706

Thank you Mac for taking the time to share your observations.

·
Registered
237 Posts
But it was the driver door that was closing, right? (Now I can't remember for sure.) And the key used to start the car wasn't inside the car.

My car would do exactly the same.

I suspect none of the other doors matter if they open or close while the car is in Park.
The one I remember, the driver door was open and it was the passenger closing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts