Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody seen a good photo of the steering wheel controls? I am trying to get a sense for the entertainment system user interface.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
967 Posts

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
205 Posts
I think you are right, and that one is the lane centering - I think that is what it looks like on our Fusion. What is a bit odd is the button I was wondering about is probably the hang up call, but there is no corresponding answer call button (I have one of each on my Escape). That seems odd.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is that right side lower left button?
I am a bit disappointed. I would think that the enhanced functionality of Sync4A and Co-pilot360 2.0 would require a revamped button arrangement on the wheel. Defiantly not as austere as in the Tesla but perhaps something more along the lines of Mercedes MBUX.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think you are right, and that one is the lane centering - I think that is what it looks like on our Fusion. What is a bit odd is the button I was wondering about is probably the hang up call, but there is no corresponding answer call button (I have one of each on my Escape). That seems odd.
Nissan uses the Voice Control button to answer incoming calls. I'll bet Ford has learned they can do the same and have one less button.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I am a bit disappointed. I would think that the enhanced functionality of Sync4A and Co-pilot360 2.0 would require a revamped button arrangement on the wheel. Defiantly not as austere as in the Tesla but perhaps something more along the lines of Mercedes MBUX.
I'm quite happy to have access to the most commonly used controls on the wheel and shafts.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm quite happy to have access to the most commonly used controls on the wheel and shafts.
Agreed. The most-used functions are on the wheel including the voice control - which should allow you to do a lot that's not accessible by the other wheel buttons. They can't mimic the entire touchscreen on the wheel, and as this is very similar to my 2015 mustang (about which I have no complaints) I am happy. The expected controls on the stalk are a definite improvement over the tesla UI: my wife would feel at home driving a mach-e, but not a model 3/y.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback / 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select RWD SR
70 Posts
I'm use to have a lots of button on my Focus. I guess I will get use to it.

That's 19 buttons!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, I am surprised there aren’t a few more buttons. It might mean disappointing progress on more automation coming anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Yeah, I am surprised there aren’t a few more buttons. It might mean disappointing progress on more automation coming anytime soon.
Curious as to why you would think so? Tesla has way less buttons, and no one thinks that means less features.

Advanced features are controlled via voice or the center console. The button groups (and the stalks) are for the most used functions. Left buttons: cruise control, right buttons: media/interactive, left stalk: lighting (brights/signals), right stalk: full wiper control.
There may also be soft buttons on the left stalk. Also, this picture above is from a preproduction vehicle. There may be additional buttons (or a different layout) for those with the prep package.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Curious as to why you would think so? Tesla has way less buttons, and no one thinks that means less features.

Advanced features are controlled via voice or the center console. The button groups (and the stalks) are for the most used functions. Left buttons: cruise control, right buttons: media/interactive, left stalk: lighting (brights/signals), right stalk: full wiper control.
There may also be soft buttons on the left stalk. Also, this picture above is from a preproduction vehicle. There may be additional buttons (or a different layout) for those with the prep package.
I have only test driven a tesla and used a lever on the left of the steering wheel to turn on autopilot. (Pull once for cruise control, twice for autopilot if I remember correctly) For the mache, I would have thought there would be a physical button or lever to turn on something close to autopilot. There are cruise control buttons but no unassigned type buttons like the above pic of a Focus. Maybe you have to use the big screen for future automation but seems a physical button would be safer than taking your eyes off the road to use the big screen. We will see.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's possible that the lane centering button is dual-purposed. Press once for auto lane centering, press and hold for handsfree or something like that - just like the tesla single pull vs double pull

1 - 18 of 18 Posts