Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I communicated with someone in the plant. They did get back to work Monday, setting everything up to continue pre-production preparations. Of course, things are different now and part of what they are doing is setting up to follow the new Covid-19 guidelines. They are following the Ford Covid-19 Playbook, in Spanish of course:

Images from this week shows some of what they are getting used to:

They are strict about wearing masks. Workers even have to have a mask on before they drive in the gates! Where you can walk, how close you can get to others are all issues they are getting used to.

Some things are coming along smoothly, others not so much, as some equipment was still in Michigan before the shutdown and won't be sent to Mexico for a while yet. Production almost certainly won't start in June and July is still in question. However, the equipment and machining they do have at the plant is getting set up well and looking good.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I communicated with someone in the plant. They did get back to work Monday, setting everything up to continue pre-production preparations. Of course, things are different now and part of what they are doing is setting up to follow the new Covid-19 guidelines. They are following the Ford Covid-19 Playbook, in Spanish of course:

Images from this week shows some of what they are getting used to:
View attachment 1398
They are strict about wearing masks. Workers even have to have a mask on before they drive in the gates! Where you can walk, how close you can get to others are all issues they are getting used to.

Some things are coming along smoothly, others not so much, as some equipment was still in Michigan before the shutdown and won't be sent to Mexico for a while yet. Production almost certainly won't start in June and July is still in question. However, the equipment and machining they do have at the plant is getting set up well and looking good.
Nice! Making friends to get the inside scoop!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Some even more good news. Mexico says that the auto industry can resume before June 1 as long as they have established safety protocols.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chatted with my contact in Cuautitlan today. Preparations for production are going well but slowly due to the 200 person limit on the line.

Because some essential tools are still in Michigan, the pre-production units are still being built with a mix of body parts, some made in Mexico, some in Michigan. They need to finish the pre-production run, so it's better to keep cranking those out even if it means shipping parts. Some of the tools were just shipped out. The last of them will probably be shipped to Cuautitlan in July.

The good news is when I joked about getting my FE as a Christmas present, my source thought it would arrive "well before Christmas".

This is right in line with the official word from the Ford spokesperson and Dave Pericak. I'm not holding my breath but it still looks good for US deliveries in 2020 :)
Sorry, the shipping to Europe takes so long 😔

·
Registered
789 Posts
Chatted with my contact in Cuautitlan today. Preparations for production are going well but slowly due to the 200 person limit on the line.

Because some essential tools are still in Michigan, the pre-production units are still being built with a mix of body parts, some made in Mexico, some in Michigan. They need to finish the pre-production run, so it's better to keep cranking those out even if it means shipping parts. Some of the tools were just shipped out. The last of them will probably be shipped to Cuautitlan in July.

The good news is when I joked about getting my FE as a Christmas present, my source thought it would arrive "well before Christmas".

This is right in line with the official word from the Ford spokesperson and Dave Pericak. I'm not holding my breath but it still looks good for US deliveries in 2020 :)
Thanks for the update @ChasingCoral! Did you contact happen to mention which tools are still in Michigan?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update @ChasingCoral! Did you contact happen to mention which tools are still in Michigan?
Yes, but for the sake of my source I'm holding back certain details of our discussions. I'm sure you wouldn't want your Mustang lacking the parts they make! More importantly, while they can build prototypes with parts shipped in from Michigan, these cannot be sold. The tools all need to be in place in Cuautitlan before production begins and the cars are sellable.

·
Registered
658 Posts

I wonder if because they know they won't make 2020 deliveries in Europe that they are actually going to increase deliveries in the US.

I'd really be curious to see how much is different between the two models (obviously the UK ones are quite different). But can they build US and Euro ones on the same line and just make the final changes at the end?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if because they know they won't make 2020 deliveries in Europe that they are actually going to increase deliveries in the US.

I'd really be curious to see how much is different between the two models (obviously the UK ones are quite different). But can they build US and Euro ones on the same line and just make the final changes at the end?
HopefulAl on the Mach E Forum had this comment on the topic:
"For what it is worth, I saw Elon talking on a recent 3hr Podcast. He talked about how hard it was to ship to multiple countries from a single plant (Fremont, CA). He mentioned the changes needed to be made at the plant to accommodate left hand and right drive cars as well as language specific changes to warning signs within the car itself (High Voltage, etc.) Country specific Items like headlights. He went on to describe issues with shipping to europe. He said Tesla gravitated toward running the plant in 6 week runs...one for Europe, then the East coast of the US, then the West coast. If they started each quarter that way, then all the cars would be at their destinations at the end of each quarter and be sold by the end of the quarter..nothing in transit. I don’t remember how China fit into that schedule...but that is no longer a problem."

Makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It does make sense. While those are just the final details (except for the RHD vs LHD changes) I think the devil is in the details. Making small changes can be very hard.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
It does make sense. While those are just the final details (except for the RHD vs LHD changes) I think the devil is in the details. Making small changes can be very hard.
Ford, who has world design production lines, flipping LHD to RHD is not difficult but routine.
Ford’s own spokespeople have said its just shipping logistics that cause the delay to early 2021 for EU.
I don’t mind a delay, if it ensures the best quality possible in the final product. I rather that, than them try to rush and introduce problems.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the official word that all of Ford's Mexican plants are up and running. I note they are coy about how many people and how many shifts are running. We've already heard the Cuautitlan plant where the Mach E will be produced was only running with 200 people on the line. I'll check at the end of the week to see if that's changed.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Here's the official word that all of Ford's Mexican plants are up and running. I note they are coy about how many people and how many shifts are running. We've already heard the Cuautitlan plant where the Mach E will be produced was only running with 200 people on the line. I'll check at the end of the week to see if that's changed.

I wonder if it will be similar numbers as the FCA plant that reopened in Saltillo (40% of staff).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts