Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We ordered our MachE 8 months ago online. At the time, we were debating between Tesla and MachE. We liked MachE more but were worried about dealership experience. Before placing the order, we called SunnyvaleFord to make sure that there wouldn't be any markup. Today, the car got delivered. But alas, they are asking for 4k over the quoted price. What should we do?

·
Registered
2021 MME FE E4X, Carbonized Gray Matallic, AWD
160 Posts
We ordered our MachE 8 months ago online. At the time, we were debating between Tesla and MachE. We liked MachE more but were worried about dealership experience. Before placing the order, we called SunnyvaleFord to make sure that there wouldn't be any markup. Today, the car got delivered. But alas, they are asking for 4k over the quoted price. What should we do?
Aloha, Tell them to call Mike Levine. I recall that he, or another Ford VIP, announced that the MME would not have a dealer markup. I hope that you get your MME and can avoid the markup!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes contact Mike Levine, seems to work for some people

Anybody know of a better way than Twitter to reach Mike Levine? I thought you could direct message him there but he has that turned off

·
Registered
3 Posts
DM @Ford Motor Company on here too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did you order it electronically on the ford website? In your summary what price did it list on "dealer selling price". When I ordered mine from the ford site my summary had two different prices MSRP of total packages order plus destination fee and then a "dealer selling price" in my case it had a $5k markup. I was actually at the dealer (they had me order online while I was there. I spoke with the GM there about this and that I wasn't going to pay the markup, in writing he confirmed xplan and msrp which is what I got when I picked it up a couple weeks ago.

Been a bit of confusion about ADM. Dealers can most definitely markup the price of the car, as Ford let's them do it at time of ordering what Mike Levine said in his original tweet, was that he would help find a car from a dealer without the markup. Here's Levine's tweet on the subject

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same thing happened to me at my dealer. I simply challenged them, informed them that they are not competitive in the EV space with a markup and that Ford has given incentives to the dealers to sell at MSRP. Their response back in minutes via email was " Ok - if you will pay MSRP we are good". Then when I picked up the car the salesman made some snide comment about him not making any money on this.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,854 Posts
Same thing happened to me at my dealer. I simply challenged them, informed them that they are not competitive in the EV space with a markup and that Ford has given incentives to the dealers to sell at MSRP. Their response back in minutes via email was " Ok - if you will pay MSRP we are good". Then when I picked up the car the salesman made some snide comment about him not making any money on this.
Ford has a problem: its dealership model which is based on salesmen on salary + commissions.

The MME is sold at a fixed price with a fixed dealership profit which does not leave much room for commission to the salesmen.

There is also the "elephant" in the room. Because of the Internet and buying services like Costco, dealer's profit on sales of new cars is way down. At the present time, used car sales are more profitable than new car sales. But where most of the dealer's profit comes from is the service department. With more and more Ford's going electric, the revenue stream from service will start to rapidly decrease.

Over the next ten years it will be interesting to see if Ford is able to continue to sell EV at a fixed price or will EV's be sold as ICE cars are sold now with discounting, incentives, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well the salesman probably didn't make any commission, but the dealership sure made a profit

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Ford has a problem: its dealership model which is based on salesmen on salary + commissions.

The MME is sold at a fixed price with a fixed dealership profit which does not leave much room for commission to the salesmen.

There is also the "elephant" in the room. Because of the Internet and buying services like Costco, dealer's profit on sales of new cars is way down. At the present time, used car sales are more profitable than new car sales. But where most of the dealer's profit comes from is the service department. With more and more Ford's going electric, the revenue stream from service will start to rapidly decrease.

Over the next ten years it will be interesting to see if Ford is able to continue to sell EV at a fixed price or will EV's be sold as ICE cars are sold now with discounting, incentives, etc.
I think we'll see Ford, GM, Chrysler... and other traditional manufacturers look for an exit strategy for the dealership model over the next 10 years+. They're not stupid... they all want Tesla's "Everyone pays MSRP. We get all the profits." model.

Then there's this interesting development... Is GM putting the squeeze on their dealership network?
"Nationally, 170-180 of Cadillac's 870 dealers, or about 20%, have now taken buyouts that range from $300,000 to $700,000 to give up their franchise rather than make the investment for tools, training, equipment and charging stations to sell and service EVs, a person who's familiar with Cadillac's plan told the Free Press."

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I think we'll see Ford, GM, Chrysler... and other traditional manufacturers look for an exit strategy for the dealership model over the next 10 years+. They're not stupid... they all want Tesla's "Everyone pays MSRP. We get all the profits." model.

Then there's this interesting development... Is GM putting the squeeze on their dealership network?
"Nationally, 170-180 of Cadillac's 870 dealers, or about 20%, have now taken buyouts that range from $300,000 to $700,000 to give up their franchise rather than make the investment for tools, training, equipment and charging stations to sell and service EVs, a person who's familiar with Cadillac's plan told the Free Press."

Cadillac: this was reported about 6 months ago. These are smaller dealerships with low volume. These dealerships decided that it was not worth the capital investment required for Cadillac's EV cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes my dream is for Ford,GM,Toyota etc to ditch the dealership model. It should become a relic of the past like bookstores, newspapers, coal mines etc that time has passed by

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes my dream is for Ford,GM,Toyota etc to ditch the dealership model. It should become a relic of the past like bookstores, newspapers, coal mines etc that time has passed by
I think it's bound to happen but it's going to be a very messy divorce.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I direct messaged Ford on this forum with a complaint over the ADM markup of the Mach E we purchased and also how we were treated by the General Manager of the dealership. The person on this forum basically said Ford won't get into this and I should take my complaint to the dealer. When I told him my complaint involved the General Manager of the dealership, ...crickets. I don't know where to turn now. I'd like to message Mr. Levine but it is impossible on Twitter as they turned off direct messaging.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

Just saw this headline:

Connecticut lawmakers once again reject Tesla legislation to sell electric vehicles directly to car buyers

see: Connecticut lawmakers once again reject Tesla legislation to sell electric vehicles directly to car buyers

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts