Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Undoubtedly on track performance is what spurs the excitement in all of us interested in the Mustang. Even if you are not a track enthusiast, that lineage behind the name is part of what we are all stepping into. As a track focused enthusiast I like to test all my personal vehicles at the road course. Now, it is the Mach-E's turn.

SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-10.jpg
SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-08.jpg

I developed this Track-E fitment using 20x9.5 Square Signature Wheel Track Series SV502. This setup is rotatable at all 4 corners to maximize the life of the 275/45/20 Yokohama tires. With a 280 tread wear rating this compound should prove tons more grip and contact patch over the OEM 225 Michelin. Matte Bronze was chosen for a little flash, and easy touch up.

SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-15.jpg

As a heavyweight we also implemented Friction Lock Knurling to help prevent tire rotation on the rim under heavy cornering loads and braking.

SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-13.jpg
SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-12.jpg

Weight reduction here is fantastic with an approximate weight of 23lbs each, although I did get to weigh them before mounting tires. I will weigh the full system soon

SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-06.jpg
SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-09.jpg

I plan to hit the track tomorrow and document the event. Anyone have a guess on how many 20 minute sessions the car will survive before needing a charge?

SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-02.jpg
SV502 Mach E Matte Bronze-07.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We survived, and what a day it was. This was my third time to Sonoma Raceway, second time tracking my GT500 there and first time ever tracking the Mach-E. Still sorting through everything but want to cover what I can while it is fresh. I could write a novel about the day but it would not do anyone much good. Only so much can be absorbed at a time. I will try to cover all the salient details I think people want to know, but feel free to ask more.

The Disclaimer - I am your average enthusiast and approach all situations with that mindset. I have some seat time spent on tracks around the west coast driving mostly V8 sports cars, but I am not a pro-driver. I possess an understanding of vehicle dynamics and track terminology, but by no means an instructor. The language and descriptions used here are from that of a layman and not meant to be exhaustive. There was no camera person at this event for on track photos, so I have limited on track shots.

The Appetizer - Sonoma Raceway is approximately 54 miles from my house as the crow flies and requires some driving uphill to reach. With depletion of the battery on my mind Sonoma was the closest track, and got the nod for the first trip. I needed to do some testing with my 2020 GT500 as well, so I convinced my sister to drive the Mach-E for me. I left this morning with 96% percent battery and arrived at the track with approximately 59%. Unfortunately Sonoma has no fast chargers on hand, and no 220 or better hookups. Charging on 110 in the garage was like drinking through a coffee straw, but it was all I would get. There are some fast charges in the area, but would require a 10-15 minute drive. It would be a headache running to and from the track between sessions for a charge. Knowing I needed roughly 30% to make it back home I really only had one shot to shake this car down.

The Main Dish - The goal here was not to set the fastest lap. I wanted to experience the car for what it was, extract all the data I could from the experience and maybe get some bragging rights as the first Mach-E to touch Sonoma Raceway. I would describe Sonoma as a smaller technical track. Lots of turns and rewards for those holding the right line. The Mach-E has its weight low slung and felt relatively stable in most of the turns. With the weight of the Mach I would attribute much of the feeling to the increased contact patch from the 20x9.5 Signature Wheel setup. Once warmed up the 275 Yokohama did a fairly good job managing the weight, and would be even better at a lower tire pressure. Rolling through the Carousel was actually pretty fun. Threshold braking giving you the lightest tire squeal on deceleration. With some confidence you can work through the esses at a pretty good clip, with the AWD system working to your advantage on the shorter sweepers. Dampening is fairly stiff on the street, but on track you can really kiss those rumble strips at the apex without upsetting the Mach. Body roll was there, but the car is not as sloppy as one would think. With the car being slower you really had an opportunity to focus on the right driving line. I ran about 17 minutes of the 20 minute session and did not come across any brake fade. This is legitimately a car you could load the family in and take around a road course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gristle - What I will say is the Mach-E is not a drivers car in this trim. There are no ways that I know of for you to disengage any of the nannies that make the car safe, but anger your inner Hoonigan. Right as I started to get the car to rotate and slide it would limit itself. Tried as I might I could not get the car above 88 mph on any part of the track. If you’re trying to go back to the future It ain’t happening. Acceleration out of corners was something I expected to wow me, but it never happened. The damn going just won’t get out of the hole after a slow speed turn or heavy braking. Matted to the floor you really can’t get the car to give you any more power than traction control will allow. For an EV the power does not come on as immediate as you would think. I don’t even think it has a traction control warning, so the system just works silently in the background. The braking system worked fairly well for the 17 minute jaunt, but I did see the brakes too hot indicator come on once. If you try and get the car out of shape it will slap you on the hand faster than reaching for your grandmothers cookies. While driving in Unbridled mode the car reduces any drag on the system when you lift the pedal. While rolling through the esses I would lift off the gas anticipating the car to bleed off momentum, but it would continue to roll. This caused me to jump on the brakes a few times to reduce speed. In most circumstances you can use drag to your advantage and stay off the brakes to avoid shifting weight where you don’t want it. The lack of resistance made me use the brakes more or just carrying less speed. Ultimately heating up the brakes more, getting the Mach slightly out of shape or simply going into turns slower.

Dessert?: I ended my session once I was down to approximately 29% battery life. Just enough to make it back home after 17 minutes of fun. The wheel and tire setup I developed in theory worked out PERFECTLY in application. I parked the car In the paddock and was swarmed by Porsche, Camaro, Mustang, Miata every other owner at the track asking me how it was. I took off my helmet with a smile on my face and said “Surprisingly, not bad. For an SUV the damn thing is pretty good. “

Waiter, Reality Check Please - This is not a drivers car, or really even a sports car. It is an SUV dampened like a Mustang, plain and simple. I jumped right out my Mach-E and into the GT500 for the next session and immediately got that pucker feeling I was looking for. You might get your dreams crushed hoping to go out and run the Mach-E for a full track day. When you plan to track yours be sure the location has a fast charger on site, or bring whatever adapter you need to hookup to 220. If you have experience tracking your car do not expect to be blown away by its performance, or get to drive to the best of your abilities. I got passed by every car in my group but always had a grin on my face during the process. I would hope the GT version gives more control to the driver or a revised power management system that allows you to actually drive the car. However, If you have a full charge and are rolling through wine country with your lady you can easily go run a session while she drinks cabernet in the front seat.

The Leftovers - Arriving back to my shop I had 9% battery life left. Plugged the Mach-E in to charge and drove the GT500 back home. I was really excited to feel the performance benefits of an EV powered vehicle, but do not feel like I really got to. I would equate driving the Mach-E to a wine and cheese tasting, while the GT500 is more of a frat house kegger. If you focus on enjoying the Mach-E for what it is and the foundation its laying then you can’t help but love it. Have fun with it, but don’t try to make it what it is not. There will be some auto-cross events in its future, but not another open track day without chargers on site or a much closer track. Moving this car around at speed on the stock wheels and tires would likely be a frustrating experience, so the square setup was worth it. I am really curious to see how Ford tunes this GT version, as it will need to be a different animal fundamentally to win the hearts of the traditional performance Mustang owner on track.

Thanks to the Hooked On Driving and Turn 2 guys for being great hosts.

·
Registered
2021 MME, FE, 4X, Carbonized Gray Matallic
220 Posts
Tried as I might I could not get the car above 88 mph on any part of the track.
Aloha, what trim is your MME? Do you have AWD with ER battery? I was a bit surprised that you couldn't get her over 88 mph. I hit 80 mph without a lot of effort. It's hard for me to go any faster as I don't want 50 to bust me on Hawaii Interstate 1!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aloha, what trim is your MME? Do you have AWD with ER battery? I was a bit surprised that you couldn't get her over 88 mph. I hit 80 mph without a lot of effort. It's hard for me to go any faster as I don't want 50 to bust me on Hawaii Interstate 1!
Mine is a premium all-wheel drive extended range. The issue is getting the car out of an apex with enough speed before the next braking zone. Seems like the power does not come on as fast as you would like.

·
Registered
MME Premium extended range AWD
286 Posts
Excellent. Thank you for taking time to share your experience and photos. I can't help wonder if performance would have been better starting from a full charge? Anyway, Ford says the MMe, in its current version, is not set up for track. I would love to see what will happen on the track when the GT Performance version becomes available. I understand it has a track mode setting to go along with the upgraded (magna ride) suspension and quicker acceleration. Any predictions?

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Mine is a premium all-wheel drive extended range. The issue is getting the car out of an apex with enough speed before the next braking zone. Seems like the power does not come on as fast as you would like.
The nannies are unforgiving. I just hit a 90° left-turn from a stop at full throttle (40’ approach). The back-end barely kicked out, and the nannies restricted power coming out of the turn. Too much speed lost, along with a little bit of the fun-factor. It cannot do what a Mustang coupe can do.

Mind you, it is well behaved and controlled for street use, and will keep drivers safe from themselves. But I can see how it would be frustrating on the track.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The nannies are unforgiving. I just hit a 90° left-turn from a stop at full throttle (40’ approach). The back-end barely kicked out, and the nannies restricted power coming out of the turn. Too much speed lost, along with a little bit of the fun-factor. It cannot do what a Mustang coupe can do.

Mind you, it is well behaved and controlled for street use, and will keep drivers safe from themselves. But I can see how it would be frustrating on the track.
I understand you will be able to turn off the safety nannies in the GT Performance, both stability control and traction control. On my 4X, I can turn off the traction control, but not the other. And I notice the traction control resets to on after every start up regardless.

·
Registered
MME Premium, AWD, XR, Inf Blue Metallic
94 Posts
The Gristle - What I will say is the Mach-E is not a drivers car in this trim. There are no ways that I know of for you to disengage any of the nannies that make the car safe, but anger your inner Hoonigan. Right as I started to get the car to rotate and slide it would limit itself. Tried as I might I could not get the car above 88 mph on any part of the track. If you’re trying to go back to the future It ain’t happening. Acceleration out of corners was something I expected to wow me, but it never happened. The damn going just won’t get out of the hole after a slow speed turn or heavy braking. Matted to the floor you really can’t get the car to give you any more power than traction control will allow. For an EV the power does not come on as immediate as you would think. I don’t even think it has a traction control warning, so the system just works silently in the background. The braking system worked fairly well for the 17 minute jaunt, but I did see the brakes too hot indicator come on once. If you try and get the car out of shape it will slap you on the hand faster than reaching for your grandmothers cookies. While driving in Unbridled mode the car reduces any drag on the system when you lift the pedal. While rolling through the esses I would lift off the gas anticipating the car to bleed off momentum, but it would continue to roll. This caused me to jump on the brakes a few times to reduce speed. In most circumstances you can use drag to your advantage and stay off the brakes to avoid shifting weight where you don’t want it. The lack of resistance made me use the brakes more or just carrying less speed. Ultimately heating up the brakes more, getting the Mach slightly out of shape or simply going into turns slower.

Dessert?: I ended my session once I was down to approximately 29% battery life. Just enough to make it back home after 17 minutes of fun. The wheel and tire setup I developed in theory worked out PERFECTLY in application. I parked the car In the paddock and was swarmed by Porsche, Camaro, Mustang, Miata every other owner at the track asking me how it was. I took off my helmet with a smile on my face and said “Surprisingly, not bad. For an SUV the damn thing is pretty good. “

Waiter, Reality Check Please - This is not a drivers car, or really even a sports car. It is an SUV dampened like a Mustang, plain and simple. I jumped right out my Mach-E and into the GT500 for the next session and immediately got that pucker feeling I was looking for. You might get your dreams crushed hoping to go out and run the Mach-E for a full track day. When you plan to track yours be sure the location has a fast charger on site, or bring whatever adapter you need to hookup to 220. If you have experience tracking your car do not expect to be blown away by its performance, or get to drive to the best of your abilities. I got passed by every car in my group but always had a grin on my face during the process. I would hope the GT version gives more control to the driver or a revised power management system that allows you to actually drive the car. However, If you have a full charge and are rolling through wine country with your lady you can easily go run a session while she drinks cabernet in the front seat.

The Leftovers - Arriving back to my shop I had 9% battery life left. Plugged the Mach-E in to charge and drove the GT500 back home. I was really excited to feel the performance benefits of an EV powered vehicle, but do not feel like I really got to. I would equate driving the Mach-E to a wine and cheese tasting, while the GT500 is more of a frat house kegger. If you focus on enjoying the Mach-E for what it is and the foundation its laying then you can’t help but love it. Have fun with it, but don’t try to make it what it is not. There will be some auto-cross events in its future, but not another open track day without chargers on site or a much closer track. Moving this car around at speed on the stock wheels and tires would likely be a frustrating experience, so the square setup was worth it. I am really curious to see how Ford tunes this GT version, as it will need to be a different animal fundamentally to win the hearts of the traditional performance Mustang owner on track.

Thanks to the Hooked On Driving and Turn 2 guys for being great hosts.

"Matted to the floor you really can’t get the car to give you any more power than traction control will allow."

The traction controls can be turned off. See:

Page 190 - Switching Traction Control On / Off

The stability control cannot be turned off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent. Thank you for taking time to share your experience and photos. I can't help wonder if performance would have been better starting from a full charge? Anyway, Ford says the MMe, in its current version, is not set up for track. I would love to see what will happen on the track when the GT Performance version becomes available. I understand it has a track mode setting to go along with the upgraded (magna ride) suspension and quicker acceleration. Any predictions?
I think for sure starting with a full charge will be better. Even I notice the car to be more peppy on the street with a full battery. I was able to order a GT so I look forward to going back.

Very unforgiving, but interesting to hear you had the same experience of reduced power on exit. I get this is not the intended environment for this model. Definitely gets me excited about the next one.

I understand you will be able to turn off the safety nannies in the GT Performance, both stability control and traction control. On my 4X, I can turn off the traction control, but not the other. And I notice the traction control resets to on after every start up regardless.
I can't wait for some real hooning to take place.
"Matted to the floor you really can’t get the car to give you any more power than traction control will allow."

The traction controls can be turned off. See:

Page 190 - Switching Traction Control On / Off

The stability control cannot be turned off.
Yes, I only had one session with the car so wanted to start with everything on to get a feel for how it would react. Next trip out will likely be auto cross with TC off. Im hoping for more, but I really need to get stability control off also so I can slide it around.

Here is a short video of the car in track trim too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think for sure starting with a full charge will be better. Even I notice the car to be more peppy on the street with a full battery. I was able to order a GT so I look forward to going back.

Very unforgiving, but interesting to hear you had the same experience of reduced power on exit. I get this is not the intended environment for this model. Definitely gets me excited about the next one.

I can't wait for some real hooning to take place.

Yes, I only had one session with the car so wanted to start with everything on to get a feel for how it would react. Next trip out will likely be auto cross with TC off. Im hoping for more, but I really need to get stability control off also so I can slide it around.

Here is a short video of the car in track trim too.

What would happen if, from a start, you held the brake down and then stomped the accelerator, then let off the brake? Quicker start?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What would happen if, from a start, you held the brake down and then stomped the accelerator, then let off the brake? Quicker start?
I had the same thought. This would be like brake boosting a turbo to get it to spool and then put you right into boost. Since the battery is essentially on or off I don't think it would build up excess charge and give a faster launch. I think with traction control and stability control turned off we would get a smoke show though.

I will do this later and report back though :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts