Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The discussion of privacy on the Insurance thread reminded me that I have an interesting article from Consumer Reports on "What Your Car Sees". I hope that some of you may find this interesting since it is the future of vehicles and that future is in many instances now.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's mind blowing just how much information are vehicles process these days. I really hope somethings gets put in place to prevent data getting sold to third parties but that's wishful thinking.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember when I was unhappy to learn that BMW had "quietly" installed black boxes over a decade ago. I hold little hope that anything will be done to curtail data collection and the resulting algorithms that will shape our lives.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here's the way I look at it.
I'm OK with:
  • Ford using usage and data to make their products better.
I'm not OK with:
  • Ford storing the date in a way that allows a court order to obtain detailed information on everything they know about me.
  • Selling non-anonymized data. The key here is how it is anonymized.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there any insurance company litigators on the forum, I would be curious to know when a claim is filed in an accident that goes to trial is cell phone usage time data or black box data (eg. speed at time of incident) introduced into court records

·
Registered
223 Posts
GDPR, while an an imperfect implementation, IMO is a good idea in the right direction. I am hoping that the US could pass similar regulation(s).

·
Registered
284 Posts
If there any insurance company litigators on the forum, I would be curious to know when a claim is filed in an accident that goes to trial is cell phone usage time data or black box data (eg. speed at time of incident) introduced into court records
I switched insurance providers and they tried to sneak in me using their app as part of my plan. When I told them I wanted to opt out the guy seemed so surprised, it was pretty funny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts