·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
126 Posts
This move by Tesla will put more pressure on the price of MachE.

Within the next 6 months, before the MachE First Edition, the one I have a confirmed reservation on, hits the dealers, expect further reduction in the price of the Model Y or increase in range.

see: Tesla reduces prices across lineup, Electrek reports TSLA - The Fly

and: https://www.yahoo.com/autos/tesla-slashes-thousands-dollars-off-131200410.html
Survival. This has no impact on my decision to complete the purchase of my MME.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
214 Posts
Don't forget you have to factor in the Federal tax credit on the MME, which Tesla has exhausted.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I previously posted on different threads, with the $7,500 Federal Tax credit my First Edition will be about $52,500. Presently the long range AWD Model Y, without any Federal Tax credits is $52,990 a difference of only $500.

The Model Y has a longer range by 15%, is faster and the technology is superior. The Mustang interior, to my eyes, is much nicer, the exterior is more dynamic plus there is the Ford Dealership network.

However, if the Model Y's price is reduced or at the same price the range is increased, that would make a difference, at least to me.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,128 Posts
As I previously posted on different threads, with the $7,500 Federal Tax credit my First Edition will be about $52,500. Presently the long range AWD Model Y, without any Federal Tax credits is $52,990 a difference of only $500.

The Model Y has a longer range by 15%, is faster and the technology is superior. The Mustang interior, to my eyes, is much nicer, the exterior is more dynamic plus there is the Ford Dealership network.

However, if the Model Y's price is reduced or at the same price the range is increased, that would make a difference, at least to me.
Yes, that would make a difference to me, too. It would make me think the MY is close to being a competitor, but still one with washed out features. I still wouldn’t think about buying one. Maybe Tesla will be an auto company in a decade. For now, they’re still a tech company in my eyes.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I think it is the other way around: the MachE is a competitor of the Model Y. Ford is just getting into the game that Tesla has been playing for over 8 years. Most of the bugs have already been worked out by Tesla and their resale value has been established.

Tesla is also perceived to be a premium or luxury brand. The same cannot be said about Ford and the MachE is selling at a premium price.

Tesla is the first major manufacturer I know of to be able to sell at a fixed price/MSRP without discounting and they have been doing it since inception. That is a remarkable feat.

But I have time to see where the MachE leases out vs. the ModelY. So far Tesla's have leased out terribly while Ford products have lease out quite well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tesla is also perceived to be a premium or luxury brand. The same cannot be said about Ford and the MachE is selling at a premium price.

Tesla is the first major manufacturer I know of to be able to sell at a fixed price/MSRP without discounting and they have been doing it since inception.
The key word is “perceived”. I think if they lose that perception they may also lose the ability to sell at sticker price. Certainly they have had the BEV field mostly to themselves. That will be difficult to maintain. If that perception is lost, will the stock price also falter?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Stock price: I did not understand at 200, 400 and 600 so presently above 800 is beyond my ability to fathom!

Perceived luxury: Once a brand is perceived as a luxury it takes an awful lot to change that perception: see Jaguar, Alfa, Maserati, Range Rover and even to a certain extent Volvo. Lincoln of course is an exception.

The first four come out, year after year at the bottom of Consumer Report's ratings and Volvo has been living on its safety reputation for over 2 decades.

So in my opinion, yes Tesla will continue to perceived and viewed as a premium or luxury car.

On the other hand, once a car has a reputation as "basic" as Ford is, it is hard to change people's mind: So the question is whether Ford can sell any car, including an EV at $60,000.

Many on this Board have stated that they will go to this model vs. this model to save money. That would indicate, at least to me, even among those of us who have a reservation that they are price sensitive.

That is not the case with the Model Y where the wait is still 2 to 3 months.

I guess we will have to wait 6 months to find out the answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think they are struggling to sell the Model S/X because they are becoming outdated. They seriously need an update, they can’t even charge to the higher rate that the Model Y/3 can. The Model Y for sure is cannibalizing Model 3 sales. If I were Elon Musk, I would remove the gull-wing doors on the Model X. I’m sure the Cybertruck will sell very well, but that’s still a couple years off. I’d like to see them do something more with their interiors. They need like a heads up display or display in front of the driver. It’s too distracting to have just one big display in your peripheral vision

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Honestly, I think it is the other way around: the MachE is a competitor of the Model Y. Ford is just getting into the game that Tesla has been playing for over 8 years...
Unfortunately No, I believe it is Tesla that’s new to the game of auto manufacturing. Ford has been mass-producing vehicles at an overall higher build quality than Tesla for many decades. EVs of many configurations included (although not in the forefront). The tech and software lead Tesla has currently will diminish exponentially with time.

Tesla is also perceived to be a premium or luxury brand...
In my opinion, the MY is in no a luxury car. It is a far cry from a Model S or X.
Design-wise: The outside its frumpy, Its interior reminiscent of a cross between a 90’s car design and a plank of wood across two saw-horses. There is nothing upscale about its look or the materials used.
Its build quality is still sub-par. Panels and the hatch are mis-aligned. the frunk latch has problems closing properly. Paint is shoddy. design flaws that render the rear bumper useless. The list does go on. Would anyone accept such deficits if we were describing a Mercedes or Audi?
MY as Luxury? A hard ‘no’ in my book.

Tesla is the first major manufacturer I know of to be able to sell at a fixed price/MSRP without discounting and they have been doing it since inception. That is a remarkable feat.
They just did, by lowering the MSRP.

Don’t get me wrong, Tesla has forced a change in the auto industry that no other entity has done for some time. Joining the ranks in history with Ford, Toyota, and Volvo to name a few major game changers. Kudos to Tesla.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've been reading that Tesla is facing a massive backorder in China. They had to drop their prices there to in order to be eligible for China's EV incentives.

In May, the automaker managed to reduce the price of Model 3 in order to be again eligible for the country’s EV incentives.

Furthermore, it’s likely that many customers decided to wait for the longer-range version of the Model 3, which Tesla announced in early April.

Tesla just started deliveries of the new version of the made-in-China Model 3 last week.

There are reports coming out of China stating that Tesla has accumulated a massive backlog of 15,000 orders for the Model 3 Long Range RWD.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
I've been reading that Tesla is facing a massive backorder in China. They had to drop their prices there to in order to be eligible for China's EV incentives.

In May, the automaker managed to reduce the price of Model 3 in order to be again eligible for the country’s EV incentives.

Furthermore, it’s likely that many customers decided to wait for the longer-range version of the Model 3, which Tesla announced in early April.

Tesla just started deliveries of the new version of the made-in-China Model 3 last week.

There are reports coming out of China stating that Tesla has accumulated a massive backlog of 15,000 orders for the Model 3 Long Range RWD.

The Chinese EV market is hot. Teslas timing is excellent, they also have a lot of competition there. It will be interesting to watch!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts