Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's no secret that Tesla has had their ups and downs since they started but these reliability issues they've had are remarkable, especially when you actually list them out. Consumer Reports has had a lot of back and forth when it comes to recommending them or not.

Tesla Model 3 Problems
Consumer Reports points out that the Model 3 has been dealing with issues since it launched in 2017. I've seen and heard issues with malfunctioning doors, trim quality, paint quality, along with technical issues with cruise control, cameras, and warning lights. It seems that they've started to right their wrongs but but for 2+ years it's been troubling.

The Model 3 is a critical car for Tesla. It’s the automaker’s first attempt at a true mass-market electric vehicle (EV), and its long, bumpy launch into the consumer market starting in late 2017 was greeted by EV enthusiasts with a mixture of anticipation and frustration. The Model 3 rollout was plagued by numerous production delays and extraordinarily long wait times for customers who put down orders more than a year before delivery. Yet the small sports sedan has been received well by its owners, getting top marks in CR’s most recent owner satisfaction survey. It has also largely lived up to its promise as a highly competitive sports sedan, earning a respectable road-test score, which puts it not far behind the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series.
Tesla Model S Problems
When talking about the Model S, Consumer Reports lists a variety of issues with the Model S including problems with the suspension.

But reliability has been a weak spot for Tesla. According to our survey results, problems with the suspension, especially with the 2017 model year, have been an issue for the Model S luxury sedan

“While Teslas perform well in Consumer Reports’ road tests and have excellent owner satisfaction, their reliability has not been consistent, according to our members, which has resulted in changes to their recommended status,” says Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at Consumer Reports.
While Whatcar mentions issues like bodywork and paint like the Model 3, I've even heard people complain about the reliability of the Model S' electric motors.

Nearly 38% of Tesla Model S owners reported faults in our most recent reliability survey, with issues split fairly evenly between bodywork, interior trim and the cars’ electric motors. Owners also told us about broken exterior door handles and other bodywork problems, as well as some faults with exterior lights. Problems have also been reported that relate to the climate control, steering and suspension systems, as well as the powertrain itself. Other problems involved replacement of the electric motors, warped brake discs and door handles that fail to slide out as a driver approaches.

Other areas cited by Tesla owners are leaking cooling pumps for the battery pack, dead windshield wipers, persistent alignment issues with the wheels, and misaligned latches for the front boot and the rear tailgate. Although all cars were fixed under warranty, some were off the road for more than a week.
Lastly the most infamous issue with the Models has been it Catching Fire and issues with the door handles. In October a person died after their Model S caught fire and they couldn't get out because of a malfunctioning door handle.

Omar Awan was driving his dream car when he lost control. The sleek, blue Model S Tesla careened across a road in South Florida and slammed into a palm tree.

But it wasn’t the crash that killed him, his family’s lawyers said — it was the car’s futuristic design features.

The last moments of Awan’s life were gruesome and excruciating. After the crash, the Tesla’s lithium ion battery caught fire, according to a wrongful-death lawsuit. Smoke — and then flames — filled the car, suffocating Awan and burning him from his feet up. Outside, a crowd gathered but couldn’t help.

That’s because the car’s retractable door handles, which are supposed to “auto-present” when they detect a key fob nearby, malfunctioned and first responders weren’t able to open the doors and save Awan, the suit alleges.

“The fire engulfed the car and burned Dr. Awan beyond recognition — all because the Model S has inaccessible door handles, no other way to open the doors, and an unreasonably dangerous fire risk,” the complaint reads.

Tesla Model X Problems
While the Model 3 and Model S have improved a bit in the eyes of Consumer Reports, they still can't recommend the Model X to customers. They cite issues like noisy and leaky falcon doors, and electrical issues such as the screen freezing and going blank while it's in motion.

Tesla’s other vehicle, the Model X SUV, still isn’t recommended. Model X owners reported numerous problems, ranging from its balky falcon-wing doors (that open vertically) to noises and leaks, and it has worse-than-average reliability.

In-car electronics continues to be a weakness in the Model X, as well as in the 3 and S. Tesla owners continue to report problems with the displays, including the screens freezing or suddenly going blank with the car in motion. Some owners report random rebooting of the systems. In-car electronics problems aren't weighted as heavily as the other trouble areas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 2.5 month old Model 3 and have had/still have minor issues that absolutely turn me off. I will not automatically not return to Tesla for my next EV. For the luxury pricing of the Model 3, there are too interior rattles, window seal issues and buggy software. It is not that the issues are major, it is just that they are inexcusable for this price bracket. Lets hope Ford, or someone else, can get a quality EV built.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2.5 month old Model 3 and have had/still have minor issues that absolutely turn me off. I will not automatically not return to Tesla for my next EV. For the luxury pricing of the Model 3, there are too interior rattles, window seal issues and buggy software. It is not that the issues are major, it is just that they are inexcusable for this price bracket. Lets hope Ford, or someone else, can get a quality EV built.
Agreed, for how much they charge there shouldn't be so many issues, major or minor. What kind of buggy software issue have you dealt with?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reverse camera viewer on the center screen intermittently goes black.....and today I had tail lights replaced for condensation in the housing.
That's nuts, i don't know about the center screen issue, but condensation in the taillights is something that should be easily preventable by Tesla.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's nuts, i don't know about the center screen issue, but condensation in the taillights is something that should be easily preventable by Tesla.
LOL. No S****. The mobile service tech came out and said similar issues have been seen because they were not torqued correctly. Unreal.
I purchased the Model 3 outright. In 24 months, I'm going to start to research trading it in or selling it. If the loss is equal to or less than the out of pocket costs of a lease, that I priced for the Model 3 during the purchase process, I will get into a Mach E. There is something very valuable traits about the "legacy" manufacturers, i.e. they know how to 'build' a car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many other companies will soon be selling electric vehicles, and I suspect that Ford understands that they must get the Mustang right from the beginning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts