Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla is willing to share its Supercharger Network with other automakers.

You can bet that will include Ford and some points on compatibility has been covered here.

·
Registered
385 Posts
But no one takes Tesla up on the offer so you know there's a problem with it. On the other hand, easy to make CCS or Chademo adapters for Tesla's which Tesla does in EU by rule.

We should hope Tesla keeps US owners hostage to the Tesla SC or they'll be crowding the EA chargers.

·
Registered
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
325 Posts
But no one takes Tesla up on the offer so you know there's a problem with it. On the other hand, easy to make CCS or Chademo adapters for Tesla's which Tesla does in EU by rule.

We should hope Tesla keeps US owners hostage to the Tesla SC or they'll be crowding the EA chargers.
The benefit of other brands being able to use the Tesla charging network outweighs the threat of Teslas using EA chargers at this point.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The benefit of other brands being able to use the Tesla charging network outweighs the threat of Teslas using EA chargers at this point.
Tesla is now charging $0.41 per kWh at many SC's so you would likely see a lot of Tesla owners going for the cheaper $0.31 Electrify America's.

The Tesla CCS1 adapter available now is $600-$1000 so not too many Tesla owners will buy it unless they are find the Tesla SC's crowded. I've found that situation and have used the Chademo adapter to charge at 50kW vs. waiting for a Tesla 75kW.

A CCS to Tesla adapter by Tesla to get customers to use its charging network, an increasing source of revenue for Tesla, would make sense for Tesla.

·
Super Moderator
2,794 Posts
$1000 is not worth it. I will just spend the extra 15 minutes on the handful of fast-charging sessions I might make during the year.

·
Registered
385 Posts
$1000 is not worth it.
Well it is the first of by a Chinese mfg not affiliated with Tesla. So who knows what end price will be or what Tesla's price will be. Tesla charged $450 for the Chademo charger and it's been a lifesaver for me in winter. There's speculation that what Setec Power is selling IS the Tesla adapter in a knockoff. Perhaps the company is allowed to sell them direct if higher price than Tesla sells.

Tesla sells its EU CCS adatper for $200 and that is more reasonable.

Have to wait and see what Tesla does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In some areas where there are no fast charging stops, it would be nice to stop at a tesla sc and charge up.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,854 Posts
In some areas where there are no fast charging stops, it would be nice to stop at a tesla sc and charge up.
I believe that only L2 and not the Supercharger stations Tesla stations are compatible with non Tesla cars.

Only Tesla cars "speak" to their SC network.

Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Tesla requires a complete cross-licensing agreement on all patents if you want to participate in the Supercharger network. That's the main reason no other company has taken them up on it
I also believe that when you use a Tesla super charger, it "reads" information from your car.. That information is proprietary to each manufacturer and of course that proprietary information that Ford has, Ford does not want to share with Tesla.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Just found this article in which the following is contained:

"An automaker basically has to agree to let Tesla have full access to all its intellectual property, whether it applies to EVs or something else. All of this to build EVs based on technology controlled by a competitor, to which access can be revoked. The way the agreement is written, the terms make it unpalatable to any automaker. "

see: Why Other Car Companies Don't Use Tesla Superchargers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also believe that when you use a Tesla super charger, it "reads" information from your car.. That information is proprietary to each manufacturer and of course that proprietary information that Ford has, Ford does not want to share with Tesla.
The only thing it "reads" is the VIN. I don't think the communication with the charger is that big a deal, otherwise they wouldn't want to have any 3rd party charging networks. Remember that Electrify America is a subsidiary of Volkswagen. It's just about the patents

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The only thing it "reads" is the VIN. I don't think the communication with the charger is that big a deal, otherwise they wouldn't want to have any 3rd party charging networks. Remember that Electrify America is a subsidiary of Volkswagen. It's just about the patents
I have a friend who had a Tesla S now a Audi eTron. With an adapter he is able to use Tesla L2, but not L3 (DCFC) for charging his eTron.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, a Tesla Level 2 charger is protocol and pin compatible with J1772. The J1772 adapter that comes with a Tesla is just a physical adapter to convert the pins

The Level 3 charging is a whole other animal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts