Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If this is accurate, both GM and Ford are years behind Tesla in their development of batteries which will adversely effect the resale value of the MachE.

Presently both the Model 3 and Model Y, which are direct competitors of the MachE, are similarly priced after the taking into account the $7500 Federal tax credit for the MachE.

But if either the price of the Model 3 and Y are dropped or the range is improved this will put the MachE at a distinct disadvantage.

Going in we all know that the technology in Tesla's is more advanced than the MachE.

The main reason I put a deposit on the First Edition is the Ford dealership network and the styling.

However, if the Model 3 and Y are less expensive and/or have far greater range, that would cause me to switch from the MachE to the Tesla.

see: Tesla’s readying a ‘million mile’ battery that could greatly lower the cost of EVs

·
Registered
672 Posts
And what is the "real" timeframe? Sorry, but Elon tends to make promises long before he should, and often exaggerated ones at that. No doubt that by the end of this decade such battery performance is possible if not likely, but it will surely not be available soon.
Elon is given way too much credit and recognition. I wouldn't be so quick to buy a Tesla because of what's been announced here. If it was Ford, who has more on the line by not following through, I wouldn't be so hesitant. Tesla can use all the attention it can get.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I used to really admire Musk and his mission. His descent into constant childish self-destructive stupidity has completely turned me off. If the Mach E didn't exist I would likely be getting a Model 3 next year, but only because there is nothing else in my price range that is compelling. I want to like the bolt, but it is just too cheaply made and "econobox" in design for its price point (without the massive discounts chevy has been giving lately).

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
I used to really admire Musk and his mission. His descent into constant childish self-destructive stupidity has completely turned me off. If the Mach E didn't exist I would likely be getting a Model 3 next year, but only because there is nothing else in my price range that is compelling. I want to like the bolt, but it is just too cheaply made and "econobox" in design for its price point (without the massive discounts chevy has been giving lately).
Those massive discounts would be because a new, redesigned model is about to come out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Those massive discounts would be because a new, redesigned model is about to come out.
I think it's more a case of they couldn't sell them at $37-$43k. The base price of a model 3 SR+ is $40k with far better performance, looks, amenities, charging, and resale value. It's not even close

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,120 Posts
I think it's more a case of they couldn't sell them at $37-$43k. The base price of a model 3 SR+ is $40k with far better performance, looks, amenities, charging, and resale value. It's not even close
Agreed. And why drive a Bolt when a few $k more gets you a Mustang or Tesla? That'll definitely hit them in the wallet.

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
Agreed. And why drive a Bolt when a few $k more gets you a Mustang or Tesla? That'll definitely hit them in the wallet.
GM’s new lineup of EV is ground-up
design, unlike the Bolt. So in 2021 we should start seeing more competitive EVs from them.

New battery tech is being researched by many companies, and others are touting longer life and lower cost. Now that the world is pushing companies towards BEVs, Tesla may lose its edge in the next two or three years.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
922 Posts
My son in law is a diehard Tesla fan (he owns a Mod 3) and my son is considering a three. While I have little to dislike on the technological issues, as a long time "Gearhead" I can't get past what I consider the most boring dashboard (definitely not an instrument panel) in automotive history. I looked at a Model Y but when it came with the same dash panel as the three it was a non starter. Please, I understand that one person's Aston Martin is another person's Yugo when it comes to design so I'm not posting this to argue looks but rather state a personal opinion on what I find interesting. When I saw the interior design of the MACH E vs. Tesla's Y there was no way that I would not consider a Mach. Consequently I reserved a Star White Extended Range Premium

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in my friends Model 3: He is in his early 50's and is certainly computer literate. He has had the car for almost 3 months. He asked if I wanted to try it. I had previously driven the model S. I said "sure."

Then it came time to adjust the outside mirrors. Fortunately, his 14-year son was there to direct us around the screen!

Granted once your settings are set you are done, but not being able to set the outside mirrors! C'mon Man!

I think Tesla has perfected the art of making things that are simple complicated!

Simple buttons for heated seats, outside mirrors, volume control are tried and true: who wants to take their eyes off the road while driving to change the radio station, the volume or turn on the heated seats!

Tesla is the opposite of "If it aint't broke don't fix it".

Others have said that the Tesla is a computer on wheels. Personally I prefer a car that has computer integrated into it.

But on the other hand by the time my First Edition is ready, if the Model Y is lower in price and/or has significantly more range than the First Edition, I will learn to live with the Model Y.

Remember if it is a computer on wheels, like my computer at home, it gets replaced/upgraded every 4 years!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If this is accurate, both GM and Ford are years behind Tesla in their development of batteries which will adversely effect the resale value of the MachE.

Presently both the Model 3 and Model Y, which are direct competitors of the MachE, are similarly priced after the taking into account the $7500 Federal tax credit for the MachE.

But if either the price of the Model 3 and Y are dropped or the range is improved this will put the MachE at a distinct disadvantage.

Going in we all know that the technology in Tesla's is more advanced than the MachE.

The main reason I put a deposit on the First Edition is the Ford dealership network and the styling.

However, if the Model 3 and Y are less expensive and/or have far greater range, that would cause me to switch from the MachE to the Tesla.

see: Tesla’s readying a ‘million mile’ battery that could greatly lower the cost of EVs
In UK the model 3 is substantially more cost than mache E (10% more). Plus model 3 is bland to me and isn't hatchback - which I judge as essential. We don't even have prospect of the model Y arriving here yet (another year at least I think) and even if it was I think is likely to be 20% higher price than mach E.
Therefore for time being I'll stick with Mach E

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here in the US the Model Y AWD has been out for several months. Price is $54,000 including destination charges. Range is 316 miles, 0-60 of 4.8 secs. The interior volume is slightly larger than the MachE. There are no Federal Tax credits, but there is a NY State Tax credit of $2,500.

My First Edition MSRP is $61,000 including destination charges. Range is 280 miles and 0-60 about 5.5 seconds. I will receive a Federal Tax Credit of $7,500 which will effectively bring my price down to $53,500 within $500 of the Tesla Model Y. As with the Model Y there is a NY State Tax credit of $2,500.

I prefer the style of the MachE and the Ford dealer network to get service and/or parts is a big plus.

The negative is first year of production and less range. 0-60 time is not relevant to me: Presently I am driving a Mercedes E450 AWD with 0-60 time of 5 seconds which is faster than I actually need, so both the MachE and Model Y are fine.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I was in my friends Model 3: He is in his early 50's and is certainly computer literate. He has had the car for almost 3 months. He asked if I wanted to try it. I had previously driven the model S. I said "sure."

Then it came time to adjust the outside mirrors. Fortunately, his 14-year son was there to direct us around the screen!

Granted once your settings are set you are done, but not being able to set the outside mirrors! C'mon Man!

I think Tesla has perfected the art of making things that are simple complicated!

Simple buttons for heated seats, outside mirrors, volume control are tried and true: who wants to take their eyes off the road while driving to change the radio station, the volume or turn on the heated seats!

Tesla is the opposite of "If it aint't broke don't fix it".

Others have said that the Tesla is a computer on wheels. Personally I prefer a car that has computer integrated into it.

But on the other hand by the time my First Edition is ready, if the Model Y is lower in price and/or has significantly more range than the First Edition, I will learn to live with the Model Y.

Remember if it is a computer on wheels, like my computer at home, it gets replaced/upgraded every 4 years!
I was under the impression(my son in law) that you could adjust the mirrors with voice command.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Here in the US the Model Y AWD has been out for several months. Price is $54,000 including destination charges. Range is 316 miles, 0-60 of 4.8 secs. The interior volume is slightly larger than the MachE. There are no Federal Tax credits, but there is a NY State Tax credit of $2,500.

My First Edition MSRP is $61,000 including destination charges. Range is 280 miles and 0-60 about 5.5 seconds. I will receive a Federal Tax Credit of $7,500 which will effectively bring my price down to $53,500 within $500 of the Tesla Model Y. As with the Model Y there is a NY State Tax credit of $2,500.

I prefer the style of the MachE and the Ford dealer network to get service and/or parts is a big plus.

The negative is first year of production and less range. 0-60 time is not relevant to me: Presently I am driving a Mercedes E450 AWD with 0-60 time of 5 seconds which is faster than I actually need, so both the MachE and Model Y are fine.
I ordered the RWD Premium because of the extra range predicted to be 300 miles. Having owned a car that did 0-60 in the 3+ second range the 0-60 time difference in the Tesla Y vs the MACH E is in the tenths of seconds and of no real interest in my decision.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in the North East: AWD is a necessity.

My first Mustang was a 1966 GT Convertible: I drove it for three years in Syracuse. The snow and snow on the roads rusted it out. My favorite car of all time. Carried 100 plus extra pounds of weight in the trunk, plus bag of sand and a shovel! When you are in your 20's getting stuck in snow is no big problem plus except for the SAAB all cars were RWD and had much more weight in the back.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Grew up in NYC and lived for several years in Sullivan Co. NY. I feel your pain :-(

·
Registered
20 Posts
My son in law is a diehard Tesla fan (he owns a Mod 3) and my son is considering a three. While I have little to dislike on the technological issues, as a long time "Gearhead" I can't get past what I consider the most boring dashboard (definitely not an instrument panel) in automotive history. I looked at a Model Y but when it came with the same dash panel as the three it was a non starter. Please, I understand that one person's Aston Martin is another person's Yugo when it comes to design so I'm not posting this to argue looks but rather state a personal opinion on what I find interesting. When I saw the interior design of the MACH E vs. Tesla's Y there was no way that I would not consider a Mach. Consequently I reserved a Star White Extended Range Premium
I would not buy a car (or anything) from a "red pill" guy (Musk)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts