Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think the 1 year test is useful because you can't accurately extrapolate the numbers due to varying buffer sizes (and it is too little driving). Of course the Bolt's battery has internally lost capacity, but that loss is less than or equal to the initial buffer size so the degradation appears to be 0%. For all we know the Bolt's entire buffer is gone, and in year 2 it will lose 5%. A much better indicator is %lost by mileage with a minimum of 3 years/50k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bolt and Leaf (and probably some others) run on flat packs from LG Chem that technologically and spec-wise are way superior than 18650 cells in older Teslas, and probably 2170 in newer ones too. I would expect they hold significantly better even beyond buffer capacity.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Bolt and Leaf (and probably some others) run on flat packs from LG Chem that technologically and spec-wise are way superior than 18650 cells in older Teslas, and probably 2170 in newer ones too. I would expect they hold significantly better even beyond buffer capacity.
Most people say Tesla is ahead in battery design. Why do you say the 2170 may not be superior?

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Bolt - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E Premier AWD Extended Range
13 Posts
I have a Chevy Bolt, year 2017 and after 34 months it has 60,000 km. We drive in the harsh climate of Ontario Canada with cold winters and hot summers. This summer with a very hot day with AC on, we are still getting 400km range which is above the 388km rating. With AC off, in summer on a warm day, we are getting 440km range. So happy with seeing 0% degradation of the battery. The battery has just as much range as it did when we bought it brand new.

We are going to keep our Chevy Bolt and add a Ford Mustang Mach E first edition in Grabber Blue to our family. The last long road trip in our Chevy Bolt was 690km. We stopped twice for a total of 70 minutes of charging time. The 2 stops made the drive less tiring and gave us time to re-charge both the car and our own bodies with food.

The Mustang Mach E with long range AWD battery and faster charging, will mean the same 690km road trip, will take 40 minutes less.

During winter, when we do our return trip total of 360km from our rural home to the big city of Toronto, we will not need to charge as the winter range on the MME LR will be sufficient.

Not sure why it is taking so long for everyone to embrace electric cars. They are so much better. Our Chevy Bolt has cost us $150 in preventative maintenance for inspection. No repairs. So reliable!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most people say Tesla is ahead in battery design. Why do you say the 2170 may not be superior?
Tesla's 18650 modules are rated for 2C continuous, 3C peak; LG packs are 10C / 20C respectively. This pretty much says it all. BTW, practically it means that at WOT all Teslas overload the battery (4..6C), also explains why Launch mode has a counter. Charging at currents >1C also accelerates degradation for lower spec cells, and it has been officially confirmed by Tesla that their batteries are affected by frequent supercharging.
As for 2170, I said "probably", because I didn't see the specs. We can hope that they've improved internal resistance in 5 times by going little bigger form factor, but honestly, it's unlikely as the shape is still not optimal, and Tesla at this point is aiming for quantity, not quality.
However, Tesla may be ahead in BMS and cell conditioning, and definitely has huge statistics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts