Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that's concerned with what materials their vehicles are made of, regardless of which trim level you pick the Mustang Mach-E's interior is 100% vegan. It's not a big deal for me either way but I respect Ford paying attention to details like that.

Naturally, the Mach-E will offer a variety of interior designs that'll vary depending on trim level. But no matter the model, they're all vegan. "We wanted it to be an animal-free product," said Brittany Moss, a color and materials designer at Ford. She said this was the right decision for the sort of customer they're trying to attract.

Environmentally conscious drivers and herds of cattle alike will be able to rest a little easier once the Mach-E reaches dealerships next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For anyone that's concerned with what materials their vehicles are made of, regardless of which trim level you pick the Mustang Mach-E's interior is 100% vegan. It's not a big deal for me either way but I respect Ford paying attention to details like that.

Awesome. this is important. Good to know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So after millions eat cows every day, what will happen to the deceased's skin?
Maybe we should start eating whatever the new seats are made from.
A micro degree may have just been reduced over the next 1000 years based on this revelation. I rest.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor Illustrated released this article that talks about the Mach-E's interior materials.

We might take interior design somewhat for granted – we like the style, and we like how the various surfaces activate our sense of touch. For others, namely Brittany Moss, Advanced Color and Materials Designer at Ford Motor Company, every square centimeter matters, especially when it comes to the look and feel of all the materials on board. And more importantly, where the materials come from.

Moss sources her inspiration and gains knowledge from other global industries such as fashion, product, and interior design. She is also very environmentally minded. These varied interests and her passion for sustainability have allowed her and her team to create a completely animal-free interior in the new Mustang Mach-E electric SUV.

Using sustainable and synthetic materials, the Mach-E’s cabin is just as environmentally friendly as its electric powertrain. Like the batteries and electric motors, there’s far more work that goes into pleasing the senses that meets the eye.

As the first vehicle from Ford to rely on animal-free and recycled fabrics, the challenge to get everything right was twofold – this vehicle also bears the Mustang name after all. The team managed to curate and pair the materials and were able to maintain that all-important premium feel and appearance.

Without a doubt, after speaking to Moss, the Mach-E’s fabric-wrapped B&O speakers are the center-piece of all these efforts. If it wasn’t for the anodized aluminum badges identifying the B&O sound system, most would never realize that the large expanses of B&O’s Kvadrat textile-inspired fabric were actually speakers. Said fabric is sourced from 25% recycled materials and if you like the look, know that they required an immense amount of time to get right. Not only was presentation important, but the audio system also had sound good. This is but one example of the work that went into the Mach-E’s cabin.

Another such piece that Moss and her team developed was a first-to-market synthetic steering wheel for a Ford vehicle. The difficulty here was coming up with a material that is as tactile and durable as leather without, of course, using hide. With an engineering team, they came up with their Sensico steering wheel.

During the whole process, Moss had to keep in mind the Ford Mustang’s heritage without forgetting what her primary goal was. The result of all this collaborative work is a vehicle that is quite nearly as eco-friendly as can be.

What we like specifically, from a consumer standpoint, is that all 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E trims are delivered with these materials. We’re not the only ones impressed with Ford’s and Moss’s work as the B&O audio system and speaker grilles won an iF Design Award.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
A micro degree may have just been reduced over the next 1000 years based on this revelation. I rest.
Is Ford serious, replacing leather with 'vegan' materials? I think not. This material is synthetic, made with petro-chemicals. How is this anymore environmentally friendly than leather? Personally, I like leather in a car and believe it should be a customer's option. I just hope Ford's 'ActiveX' holds up better than Crysler's 'Corinthian Leather' of the 70's. Vinyl is vinyl no matter what you call it.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
211 Posts
I have MB Tex on my present Mercedes and the one prior to it. Before these two Mercedes, I drove Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, Porsches's, MDX's and presently the Ford Edge Sport: all of these cars had leather seating areas.

I find the MB Tex on my Mercedes equal to the leather seating in all of the above cars: it is neither cold in the winter nor hot in the summer. It wears better and is far easier to clean.

Synthetics have come a long way form the the vinyl of yesterday. Hopefully the seating in the MME will be fine - it is a $50,000/60,000 car.

However, you are correct, even though 25% is from recycled material, the balance I suspect is from petrochemicals.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I'll bite the bullet on this MMe. Hopefully, my next one (if I live that long) will have leather as an option and have 600 mile batteries :) . But then again, if the ActiveX holds up; I may be a convert. I think they're staying away from leather because of static electricity. We don't want an electric car to "shock" anyone. :) .

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
211 Posts
I assume you said that in jest: Both Tesla and Audi etron have leather seats.

600 mile batteries would solve so many problems!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I assume you said that in jest: Both Tesla and Audi etron have leather seats.

600 mile batteries would solve so many problems!
Yep, 10 hour drive at 60 mph. Stop, have supper, let the car charge overnight. Just dreaming, for now. Battery technology will advance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is Ford serious, replacing leather with 'vegan' materials? I think not. This material is synthetic, made with petro-chemicals. How is this anymore environmentally friendly than leather? Personally, I like leather in a car and believe it should be a customer's option. I just hope Ford's 'ActiveX' holds up better than Crysler's 'Corinthian Leather' of the 70's. Vinyl is vinyl no matter what you call it.
It is ironic that the alternative to leather is likely an oil-based product. I guess it depends on which environmental guidebook one subscribes to... vegan, or renewable?

Either way, doesn't matter to me. Whatever they use, I just care about it being GOOD. :cool:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
It is ironic that the alternative to leather is likely an oil-based product. I guess it depends on which environmental guidebook one subscribes to... vegan, or renewable?

Either way, doesn't matter to me. Whatever they use, I just care about it being GOOD. :cool:
Yep, a bit of irony. Oil vs. cow; what do we use in an environmentally friendly electric car? I am looking forward to having my MMe, just think leather should be a CUSTOMER's option ;).

·
Super Moderator
491 Posts
Yep, a bit of irony. Oil vs. cow; what do we use in an environmentally friendly electric car? I am looking forward to having my MMe, just think leather should be a CUSTOMER's option ;).
I have found two descriptions from Ford on what exactly ActiveX seating material is:
“ActiveX™ is a high-end synthetic leather material that’s more durable and stain-resistant than authentic leather with the same premium feel.“

but it also has been described as “a partial-leather material designed to withstand more wear and tear than the standard cloth.“

The former suggests a fully synthetic leather replica, which has 25% recycled material. And is it easily recycled at end-if-life?

The latter suggests that the 25% recycled content it may actually be leather fibers. which, in this case, is not truly vegan.

Hmmmm...

As for leather, I love good leather seating. But it comes at an environmental cost, same oil based products do.
The amount of caustic/toxic chemicals, VOC released, and water needed to process hide into durable automotive seating (or else the leather would just rot and dry up) is why many European automakers shy away from using real leather standard. This helps them meet the environmental regulations on the manufacturing side of the equation.

Leather is a customer option, though.

Leather seating is also an option on all the other Ford vehicles in mid to high-end trim levels that use ActiveX.

My only thought on the MMe is that choosing a single material it is to keeps costs down on the limited 50k vehicle run. Less options, more savings in parts and assembly lines.

maybe leather will be available in future years when the manufacturing is in the six figure range.

·
Registered
360 Posts
but it also has been described as “a partial-leather material designed to withstand more wear and tear than the standard cloth.“
I would guess that is probably incorrect, given the article and comments from the woman who would actually know.

My question for those who've had cars with activex is how hot it gets in the summer and how cold in the winter?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I have found two descriptions from Ford on what exactly ActiveX seating material is:
“ActiveX™ is a high-end synthetic leather material that’s more durable and stain-resistant than authentic leather with the same premium feel.“

The former suggests a fully synthetic leather replica, which has 25% recycled material. And is it easily recycled at end-if-life?

The latter suggests that the 25% recycled content it may actually be leather fibers. which, in this case, is not truly vegan.

Hmmmm...

As for leather, I love good leather seating. But it comes at an environmental cost, same oil based products do.
The amount of caustic/toxic chemicals, VOC released, and water needed to process hide into durable automotive seating (or else the leather would just rot and dry up) is why many European automakers shy away from using real leather standard. This helps them meet the environmental regulations on the manufacturing side of the equation.

Leather is a customer option, though.

Leather seating is also an option on all the other Ford vehicles in mid to high-end trim levels that use ActiveX.

My only thought on the MMe is that choosing a single material it is to keeps costs down on the limited 50k vehicle run. Less options, more savings in parts and assembly lines.

maybe leather will be available in future years when the manufacturing is in the six figure range.
Yep, a CUSTOMER option! Same with cloth, actually. As for the limited run, it's very shortsighted on Ford's part. But time to market, yada, yada, yada.

·
Registered
484 Posts
For some no vegan seats are a deal breaker and to Ford execs that = bad.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgandy Velvet Platinum
311 Posts
I personally support whatever an individual customer's preference may be whether it's leather, vegan, or cloth. I have written Ford to find out if I can special order the seats for my MME to be fabricated from Olive oil infused Kale leaves. I'm still waiting for a reply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts