Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Mustang - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Extended Range
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take my MME on a road trip to Traverse City Michigan this weekend to visit family. It has been an adventure.
I used the trip planner in Ford Pass it works great if you follow exactly what it says. If you deviate, it has a hard time adjusting. I found it easier to just start a new trip if I went off script than to try and get it to figure out a new plan. Mostly I would charge more than it suggested and would then want to go further than it originally suggested. This is where it struggled adjusting. If I started a new trip from my current location it did great!
Next lesson was that not all chargers are equal and it isn’t easy to tell which ones are the fastest. It took me to some crazy places I never would have found, like a concrete mixing plant, but the charger there was pretty fast. Others were painfully slow and they looked the same on the outside. I ended up using several different networks, including ChargePoint, EV Connect and EA. The plug and charge worked perfectly for those that were in network. I was able to mark favorite chargers so as I get more familiar with my route, I will be able to go back to the good ones. I could also leave feedback for others and I found their feedback to be very helpful.
A trip that would normally take about 8 hours took about 11, so the stops are not insignificant and they are not all right off the interstate. They also don’t always have food and amenities (for example, the concrete plant was no where near anything else).
When traveling you should plan on only having 70% of your range between stops. This is because at each stop you only charge to 80% and I haven’t gone much below 10% before finding a charging station. With it being cold, I have been stopping about every 110-120 miles.
I have gotten stopped A LOT! You can really tell who the car people are. It has been fun having an opportunity to show it off. Overall, if you are not in a hurry to get to where you are going it is manageable. It is just very very different than what we are used to.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,425 Posts
I decided to take my MME on a road trip to Traverse City Michigan this weekend to visit family. It has been an adventure.
I used the trip planner in Ford Pass it works great if you follow exactly what it says. If you deviate, it has a hard time adjusting. I found it easier to just start a new trip if I went off script than to try and get it to figure out a new plan. Mostly I would charge more than it suggested and would then want to go further than it originally suggested. This is where it struggled adjusting. If I started a new trip from my current location it did great!
Next lesson was that not all chargers are equal and it isn’t easy to tell which ones are the fastest. It took me to some crazy places I never would have found, like a concrete mixing plant, but the charger there was pretty fast. Others were painfully slow and they looked the same on the outside. I ended up using several different networks, including ChargePoint, EV Connect and EA. The plug and charge worked perfectly for those that were in network. I was able to mark favorite chargers so as I get more familiar with my route, I will be able to go back to the good ones. I could also leave feedback for others and I found their feedback to be very helpful.
A trip that would normally take about 8 hours took about 11, so the stops are not insignificant and they are not all right off the interstate. They also don’t always have food and amenities (for example, the concrete plant was no where near anything else).
When traveling you should plan on only having 70% of your range between stops. This is because at each stop you only charge to 80% and I haven’t gone much below 10% before finding a charging station. With it being cold, I have been stopping about every 110-120 miles.
I have gotten stopped A LOT! You can really tell who the car people are. It has been fun having an opportunity to show it off. Overall, if you are not in a hurry to get to where you are going it is manageable. It is just very very different than what we are used to.
I remember traveling before the interstate on 2 lane roads, speed limit 50 mph and sometimes stuck behind a truck.

The Interstate changed an 8 hour trip into. 5 hour trip.

Time wise traveling in a MME in the winter is like traveling before the Interstate.

For me at least too inconvenient

·
Registered
2017, Chevy Bolt - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
120 Posts
Interested iin your winter road trip. What was the total distance travelled?
What was the speed you travelled most on the highways?
What was the average temperature?

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is just very very different than what we are used to.
And it will go faster as you scope out the route that works with the fastest chargers, has some food and a bathroom. And more chargers are going in all the time. Looked at the EA site and noticed they have started on Phase II, building along Pacific NW coast. I drove to Warrenton today to check a "planned" EA station at the Fred Meyer. Full of workmen, concretes all poured, big boxes of transformers and charging stalls waiting for the crane. Will be up and running by spring. It will make a huge difference for EV drivers on the coast.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Mustang - Reserved 2021 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Extended Range
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interested iin your winter road trip. What was the total distance travelled?
What was the speed you travelled most on the highways?
What was the average temperature?
Total trip was about 1200 miles, average highway speed was 78-80 and the average temperature was probably 32 degrees over 4 days.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
1,633 Posts
Thanks, very helpful. I've been working on my 'driving mindset'

·
Registered
199 Posts
Someone posted on one of the Mach- E FB pages they're currently driving from California to Fl. He's somewhere in AZ. I hope he sends updates, it'll be interesting to hear his progress

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
1,633 Posts
Someone posted on one of the Mach- E FB pages they're currently driving from California to Fl. He's somewhere in AZ. I hope he sends updates, it'll be interesting to hear his progress
I'm curious because if that person is taking the I-8/I-10 route there should be an EA charging point every 70 miles all the way the JAX

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm curious because if that person is taking the I-8/I-10 route there should be an EA charging point every 70 miles all the way the JAX
first leg was temecula ca to yuma. az

·
Super Moderator
2,262 Posts
A German YouTuber did a road trip test covering 573 miles in 10.5 hours.

Yep @ 90mph and 2°C to 6°C (36°F to 43°F)

Makes me wonder, if you travel the same distance at 75, would you need one less stop?
That would mean each leg would be 191 miles instead of 143. You would save 40 min of charging time that would easily make up for the speed difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts