Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed that the GT doesnt have Parking assist or the 360 camera as options. If thats the case self driving software isnt going to be possible on the GT modeI when it gets updated. (it's supposedly coming in one of the first major over-the-air updates). I really wanted the GT but the premium has those options I want especially in the long run. You would think the more premium expensive car would have more or better options. Can anyone in the know shed light on this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will probably be an option. The pricing of the GT is not much higher than the premium when you add the larger battery and awd. The premium has all the features included in the trim, the GT will probably have a couple option packages that will bump up the price. Overall it is looking that the transaction price on these will be about $7000 more than the Tesla Model Y (and cost will equalize after the tax credit). I would have thought that they would have been a little more aggressive on price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know why its not an option, its stupid to have less options for a more expensive car which wouldnt be any extra effort to put in. But right now at least its not an option and if the cameras or auto park isnt installed, the autopilot isnt an option either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it will be part of an option package. On the configurator it says "packages coming soon" under the GT. Judging from the other trims I think it will be a $3000-3500 option package to add the Glass roof and the driver assistance features.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it will be part of an option package. On the configurator it says "packages coming soon" under the GT. Judging from the other trims I think it will be a $3000-3500 option package to add the Glass roof and the driver assistance features.
Ah, got you. If it is I might have to go from the premium to the GT. I just dont know why they wouldnt put it on the list of options . Its kind of strange you have all the options for all the other models but on the GT its "coming soon" but we want you to put in your pre order anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope your right. Besides the obvious performance of the "GT", having the top trim tech package and the panarama roof options is a MUST

·
Registered
500 Posts
Go to main mach e page, half way down there's a pull down to compares model specs. It now shows the copilot 360 and copilot assist 360 as standard, and the park assist and 360 camera as options on gt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go to main mach e page, half way down there's a pull down to compares model specs. It now shows the copilot 360 and copilot assist 360 as standard, and the park assist and 360 camera as options on gt
Thanks.
You would think it would be standard on the most expensive model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All Mach E will have the hardware for self driving probably no point in creating that option right now so no need to charge people as it is not available. Now I do believe the higher price vehicle will have access to the pro pilot assist which to me is like Tesla autopilot just not autopilot on nav where it does on ramp to off ramp.

So in a way you will have some hands free driving and they did mention that it is coming a little later via update when it is ready.

·
Registered
214 Posts
All Mach E will have the hardware for self driving probably no point in creating that option right now so no need to charge people as it is not available. Now I do believe the higher price vehicle will have access to the pro pilot assist which to me is like Tesla autopilot just not autopilot on nav where it does on ramp to off ramp.

So in a way you will have some hands free driving and they did mention that it is coming a little later via update when it is ready.
Where are you getting this information?

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Ford has stated that the Mach E will come with level 2 autonomy, but will have the hardware capable level 3 driving. Ford has also stated level 3 will come via OTA once ready (no timeline given, and whether it’s free or if they charge you like Tesla has not been said). Unlike Teslas nag that requires you to touch the wheel every few seconds, the Ford nag has cameras that watch your eyes to ensure your paying attention to the road. No need to touch the wheel.

Personally, I hate the thought of full self-driving. Sure, they have a place where the passenger is physically impaired, but for everyone else it must remain a choice.

I have over 3/4 of a million miles driving time, and that control and exhilaration is lost if the cars drive themselves. With FSD, No need to worry about acceleration times, horsepower, torque, etc. They will never accelerate quickly, always have reduced speeds, rarely change lanes, blah blah blah. Cars will become tiny living-rooms in small, rolling boxes.

Can you say ’boring’?

(okay, crazy driver rant-over)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ford has stated that the Mach E will come with level 2 autonomy, but will have the hardware capable level 3 driving. Ford has also stated level 3 will come via OTA once ready (no timeline given, and whether it’s free or if they charge you like Tesla has not been said). Unlike Teslas nag that requires you to touch the wheel every few seconds, the Ford nag has cameras that watch your eyes to ensure your paying attention to the road. No need to touch the wheel.

Personally, I hate the thought of full self-driving. Sure, they have a place where the passenger is physically impaired, but for everyone else it must remain a choice.

I have over 3/4 of a million miles driving time, and that control and exhilaration is lost if the cars drive themselves. With FSD, No need to worry about acceleration times, horsepower, torque, etc. They will never accelerate quickly, always have reduced speeds, rarely change lanes, blah blah blah. Cars will become tiny living-rooms in small, rolling boxes.

Can you say ’boring’?

(okay, crazy driver rant-over)
That I know. I should have been more specific. How do we know:
All Mach E will have the hardware for self driving

·
Registered
32 Posts
My quoted reply is the answer. I replied it will have all the necessary hardware needed for autopilot/self driving. However the software needed maybe limited or not their yet but one ford releases it then it can have semi autonomy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My quoted reply is the answer. I replied it will have all the necessary hardware needed for autopilot/self driving. However the software needed maybe limited or not their yet but one ford releases it then it can have semi autonomy.
I'm asking (granted I didn't ask very well) how do you know that all Mach-Es, regardless of Trim/Package, has the necessary hardware for an auto-pilot type system? Unless I'm missing something, I have not seen an answer to that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry for that all trims have pro pilot assist installed which are the cameras and sensors needed for the park assist and autonomy driving.

let’s take the base model select version if you look it comes with the the following:
  • Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 + Co-Pilot 360™ Assist 2.0
Now that is the hardware needed for the the lvl 2 and 3 semi autonomous driving and all the sensors needed as well they just not used for anything specific but the pro pilot assist for autonomy driving. The only thing camera wise that the select model doesn’t have but can probably be addedvia software update is the 360 view (but has the cameras already installed) and park assist.

The ford engineer in one of the interviews mentioned all vehicle are equipped with everything needed hardware wise just needs to be implemented via an OTA update which may come at a later time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm asking (granted I didn't ask very well) how do you know that all Mach-Es, regardless of Trim/Package, has the necessary hardware for an auto-pilot type system? Unless I'm missing something, I have not seen an answer to that.
I've seen Darren Palmer make this statement a couple times, but vaguely as to what level of autonomy. He may just be referring to highway rather than fsd

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't think it's safe to assume that all trim levels, without additional options packages, are equipped with the same ADAS hardware. The reservation configurator shows different side mirrors on Select vs. on the other trims. They are missing the downward pointing cameras. Obviously this can change by the time Ford publishes the final production details. Until then, we'll need to be careful about distinguishing speculation versus facts.

None of the personally owned, passenger vehicles have "FSD." This is my opinion: I firmly believe that the 2021 Mustang Mach-E will never have "full self driving." I also strongly believe that none of today's regular passenger vehicles will ever achieve safe/responsible autonomy, outside of severely restrictive operating parameters (e.g. only in certain geo-fenced areas).

I can't recall Ford associating any of SAE's six "levels" of automation with MME. It's safer for them to communicate driver assistance and safety features on a feature by feature basis (e.g. AEB w/ pedestrian detection). Saying a vehicle might someday be "level 3" or whatever seems to be leading some drivers to being less responsible than appropriate.

The only "it's coming soon" function they've announced for MME will be hands free highway driving. This is not autonomous -- the driver must be paying attention and ready to override control. I expect it will be similar to GM Super Cruise.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
I don't think it's safe to assume that all trim levels, without additional options packages, are equipped with the same ADAS hardware. The reservation configurator shows different side mirrors on Select vs. on the other trims. They are missing the downward pointing cameras. Obviously this can change by the time Ford publishes the final production details. Until then, we'll need to be careful about distinguishing speculation versus facts.

None of the personally owned, passenger vehicles have "FSD." This is my opinion: I firmly believe that the 2021 Mustang Mach-E will never have "full self driving." I also strongly believe that none of today's regular passenger vehicles will ever achieve safe/responsible autonomy, outside of severely restrictive operating parameters (e.g. only in certain geo-fenced areas).

I can't recall Ford associating any of SAE's six "levels" of automation with MME. It's safer for them to communicate driver assistance and safety features on a feature by feature basis (e.g. AEB w/ pedestrian detection). Saying a vehicle might someday be "level 3" or whatever seems to be leading some drivers to being less responsible than appropriate.

The only "it's coming soon" function they've announced for MME will be hands free highway driving. This is not autonomous -- the driver must be paying attention and ready to override control. I expect it will be similar to GM Super Cruise.
The Mach E, as configured with all its Co-Pilot 360 features, with or without hands-free, is considered a Level 2 by the SAE.

the upcoming hands-free feature coming via OTA is not level 3 yet.

Ford engineers themselves said the Mach E had all components to be Level 3 in the future (yes maybe not the Select, but we will see when the production specs are released). I’m trying to find the interview i saw on YouTube. If someone finds one first, please reply.

SAE chart, For reference (hyperlinked to NHTSA ):

1 - 19 of 19 Posts