Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evbite posted this article on their website that makes the case for the Mach-E being a true Mustang.

The break it down based on 3 main points: It's Fast, it's Fun, and it's Freedom!

When Ford stated their new entry into electric vehicles people grew with skepticism. Could a nearly century old legacy automaker compete with the likes of Tesla? It’s one thing to dominate in ICE and sport car sales but the electric vehicle segment is still a relatively small niche. In order to compete with the best, you must drastically improve range, performance, and technology. The time of compliance cars is over, you can’t sell an electric car unless it’s actually good.

And so, Ford did just that with the introduction of the Mustang Mach-E. Taking guidance from Tesla, the company unveiled an affordable CUV with 300 miles of range, a 0-60 under 4 seconds, an adaptive cruise control system, and a whole new, technologically advanced, interface. Finally, Tesla no longer seemed to be in a market of one. Set to be sold at every traditional Ford dealer available, the Mustang Mach-E will convert thousands of ICE owners towards electrification. It was seen as a win win for everyone.

Except the die-hard Ford fanboys took offence. The Mustang nomenclature didn’t sit well with them. A legacy name designated to the best of the best didn’t belong on a electric mom car, or so they said. The group of haters went as far as to create a peititon asking Ford to change the electric crossovers name.

According to Ford, the Mustang Mach-E isn’t just a Mustang, it’s one of the best. This is their response: it’s fast, it’s fun, it’s freedom, it’s a Mustang.

this American icon has always been based on three simple American characteristics: It’s fast. It’s fun. It’s freedom. Mustang Mach‑E celebrates all that and more. – Ford

It’s Fast
The Mach-E GT will have a 0-60 in the mid 3 seconds range, beating the current stock Mustang GT time, which they’re too embarrassed to state. While the traditional muscle car isn’t built for the track, the Mach-E’s all wheel drive system will make it as versatile as can be. Hit the snow, the drag strip, or the race track in your “mom car”.

Of course, performance is defined by more than power. If it’s going to wear the famous Pony badge, it can’t just look like a Mustang. It has to drive like one, feel like one, have the same soul that you would recognize from the sound alone. The Ford Performance team tested it, prodded it and pushed Mustang Mach‑E to its limits. And delivered the verdict “It’s a Mustang.” Once you test-drive one, you’ll likely agree. – Ford

It’s Fun
Due to its larger size the interior is fit with with more room than a tradition Mustang making long trips a breeze. With three driving modes you can choose an experience that best fits your mood.

Mustang Mach‑E redefines what makes driving fun. The electric powertrain liberated the designers, freeing up extra interior space that they filled with Mustang cues, including the classic double-brow dashboard. The exterior muscles and sloping fastback let everyone know it’s a Mustang. There’s space for friends, kids, cargo — basically everything you need to enjoy the Mustang driving experience on both long and short trips. – Ford

It’s Freedom
With 300 miles of range, the California Rt. 1 edition is ready to take on those long highway rides. No more gas station fill ups, just use Ford’s charging network, it’s actually the largest in the U.S. At a 150 kW charge rate you can fill up 80% at a quick rest stop. Or just charge from home and you’ll never again have to go out of your way to fill up.

Freedom from the pump. Freedom from oil changes. Freedom from tailpipe emissions. The freedom of an online reservation experience. And, as always, the freedom to own the road. – Ford

You can argue all you want, Ford themselves has made it abundantly clear. Yes, it is most definitely a Mustang.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
Evbite posted this article on their website that makes the case for the Mach-E being a true Mustang.

The break it down based on 3 main points: It's Fast, it's Fun, and it's Freedom!

When Ford stated their new entry into electric vehicles people grew with skepticism. Could a nearly century old legacy automaker compete with the likes of Tesla? It’s one thing to dominate in ICE and sport car sales but the electric vehicle segment is still a relatively small niche. In order to compete with the best, you must drastically improve range, performance, and technology. The time of compliance cars is over, you can’t sell an electric car unless it’s actually good.

And so, Ford did just that with the introduction of the Mustang Mach-E. Taking guidance from Tesla, the company unveiled an affordable CUV with 300 miles of range, a 0-60 under 4 seconds, an adaptive cruise control system, and a whole new, technologically advanced, interface. Finally, Tesla no longer seemed to be in a market of one. Set to be sold at every traditional Ford dealer available, the Mustang Mach-E will convert thousands of ICE owners towards electrification. It was seen as a win win for everyone.

Except the die-hard Ford fanboys took offence. The Mustang nomenclature didn’t sit well with them. A legacy name designated to the best of the best didn’t belong on a electric mom car, or so they said. The group of haters went as far as to create a peititon asking Ford to change the electric crossovers name.

According to Ford, the Mustang Mach-E isn’t just a Mustang, it’s one of the best. This is their response: it’s fast, it’s fun, it’s freedom, it’s a Mustang.

this American icon has always been based on three simple American characteristics: It’s fast. It’s fun. It’s freedom. Mustang Mach‑E celebrates all that and more. – Ford

It’s Fast
The Mach-E GT will have a 0-60 in the mid 3 seconds range, beating the current stock Mustang GT time, which they’re too embarrassed to state. While the traditional muscle car isn’t built for the track, the Mach-E’s all wheel drive system will make it as versatile as can be. Hit the snow, the drag strip, or the race track in your “mom car”.

Of course, performance is defined by more than power. If it’s going to wear the famous Pony badge, it can’t just look like a Mustang. It has to drive like one, feel like one, have the same soul that you would recognize from the sound alone. The Ford Performance team tested it, prodded it and pushed Mustang Mach‑E to its limits. And delivered the verdict “It’s a Mustang.” Once you test-drive one, you’ll likely agree. – Ford

It’s Fun
Due to its larger size the interior is fit with with more room than a tradition Mustang making long trips a breeze. With three driving modes you can choose an experience that best fits your mood.

Mustang Mach‑E redefines what makes driving fun. The electric powertrain liberated the designers, freeing up extra interior space that they filled with Mustang cues, including the classic double-brow dashboard. The exterior muscles and sloping fastback let everyone know it’s a Mustang. There’s space for friends, kids, cargo — basically everything you need to enjoy the Mustang driving experience on both long and short trips. – Ford

It’s Freedom
With 300 miles of range, the California Rt. 1 edition is ready to take on those long highway rides. No more gas station fill ups, just use Ford’s charging network, it’s actually the largest in the U.S. At a 150 kW charge rate you can fill up 80% at a quick rest stop. Or just charge from home and you’ll never again have to go out of your way to fill up.

Freedom from the pump. Freedom from oil changes. Freedom from tailpipe emissions. The freedom of an online reservation experience. And, as always, the freedom to own the road. – Ford

You can argue all you want, Ford themselves has made it abundantly clear. Yes, it is most definitely a Mustang.
I'm looking forward to the first drag strip video of a Mach E GT vs. a Mustang GT or even GT350. Can't wait.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking forward to the first drag strip video of a Mach E GT vs. a Mustang GT or even GT350. Can't wait.
There's going to be a lot of upset Mustang fans if/when those races happen.

Me too, I want to see the Mach-E GT go up against all the whole range of Mustangs! Even something like the Mustang RTR.
I've seen the RTR on The Grand Tour, it's a serious machine. That would be a great race with the Mach-E GT.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There's going to be a lot of upset Mustang fans if/when those races happen.

I've seen the RTR on The Grand Tour, it's a serious machine. That would be a great race with the Mach-E GT.
I can't agree with the EVbite article just yet. All they write is what Ford PR is telling them. We have to wait for the official numbers to come out.

As for drag racing, those numbers will be close. The Shelby GT-500 has a tested 0-60 time of 3.6 seconds. The only MME worth putting on a drag strip will be the GT model. My Harley Davidson 2020 Livewire will beat most MMEs and be close with the GT. Go to the video section and watch a Livewire beat a Tesla Model 3 on 2 runs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I can't agree with the EVbite article just yet. All they write is what Ford PR is telling them.
Since Ford owns the Mustang trademark they can put the pony on whatever they like and it IS a Mustang. However, that doesn't mean the rest of us have to agree that it "deserves" the Mustang name - which is why the concerted PR effort by Ford. I happen to agree that the Mach E is "deserving enough" of the trademark in light of what I know of the specs so far (and compared to some of the sad ponies in the past who've worn the badge). But, I don't appreciate having my intelligence insulted. That piece read as "Ford said it, so it must be true".

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
It is most definitely a PR piece.

however, looking at just the forecasted specifications, a MMe GT Performance Edition (the one that has the mid 3 second estimate) could eventually be accepted as a Mustang family member by loyalists. The Regular GT has a mid 4 second 0-60 estimate, that ain’t bad either. I would be very entertained watching races between ICE vehicles and the MMe.

personally, the Premium AWD is fast enough for me at 5.5 seconds.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts

however, looking at just the forecasted specifications, a MMe GT Performance Edition (the one that has the mid 3 second estimate) could eventually be accepted as a Mustang family member by loyalists. The Regular GT has a mid 4 second 0-60 estimate, that ain’t bad either. I would be very entertained watching races between ICE vehicles and the MMe.

"Standard" Mach E GT model is supposed to be 0-60 in "under 4 seconds". Not too much different than the GT Performance at "mid 3 second".

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
It going to take me a while to find, but I remember reading information from Ford that said low 4-second range for GT base, and mid 3-second range for a GT with optional Performance Edition package. I may be remembering incorrectly, will post it here if/when I find it again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not a drag strip guy, but it would seem the top speed of the Mach E GT would limit its potential in the 1/4 Mile. Will probably beat many cars off the line but give it up at the end. Right?

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
It going to take me a while to find, but I remember reading information from Ford that said low 4-second range for GT base, and mid 3-second range for a GT with optional Performance Edition package. I may be remembering incorrectly, will post it here if/when I find it again.
These links show 0-60 in 3.8 seconds for GT and 3.5 seconds for GT Performance:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I hope someone does a series of YouTube video of the Mach vs. [Insert vehicle here], like what Tesla owners have done with their cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not a drag strip guy, but it would seem the top speed of the Mach E GT would limit its potential in the 1/4 Mile. Will probably beat many cars off the line but give it up at the end. Right?
Top speed has nothing to do in a drag race. All one has to do is hit the finish line first. As the video in the video section shows the Livewire beat the Model 3 2 out of 2 runs and top speed on the Livewire is 114 while the Model 3 is 130. The Model 3 is gaining on the Livewire real fast but not in time to be first at the finish line. The advantage in this race is 0-60 times, the Livewire is 3.0 seconds while the Model 3 is 5.6 seconds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
also remember this is just the beginning, we will see shelby and bullitt versions in the future that will leave the Ice brothers in the dust. they will cry for a EV version of the "regular" mustang. I live in the swiss mountains and my current car is a Ioniq electric that has only 120hp, but believe me driving up a mountain road is 100 times more fun than with my previous Ford cmax that had 185hp with stick. having always the power on demand is the best, no ice can beat that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It will be the other way around in a few years. As electrical cars approach and surpass the top speeds of their petrol counterparts, as the range and cold weather operation efficiency improves, people will begin to question whether traditional ICE sports/muscle cars deserve their heritage branding.
The top spec Mustang Shelby GT350R starts at $75K with a 3.9s 0-60. I think the top spec Mach E will probably beat that handily. The sports/muscle car guys aren't gonna like looking at EV taillights.
There will always be a fond place in all petrol heads hearts for a great sounding V8, RWD, Manual, Limited Slip... and those cars will still be a blast to drive but performance vehicles will inevitably electrify.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
991 Posts
There will always be a fond place in all petrol heads hearts for a great sounding V8, RWD, Manual, Limited Slip...
I had the opposite in a GMC pickup I owned for a few years. It had an amazing unlimited slip transmission. Uphill turn with morning dew and it was useless!

·
Registered
571 Posts
There will always be a fond place in all petrol heads hearts for a great sounding V8,
And that will take generations to fade, and thus there will be longterm resistance to BEVs no matter the performance. Without the visceral roar they won't feel the experience is complete; simulated sounds will just be a joke to them. Personally I don't like being obnoxious, which is why I passed on getting a V8 when I got my convertible. Not coincidentally I am also one of the first 12,000 in line to get the mach e

·
Registered
138 Posts
And that will take generations to fade, and thus there will be longterm resistance to BEVs no matter the performance. Without the visceral roar they won't feel the experience is complete; simulated sounds will just be a joke to them. Personally I don't like being obnoxious, which is why I passed on getting a V8 when I got my convertible. Not coincidentally I am also one of the first 12,000 in line to get the mach e
Depends where you live. No ICE vehicles for sale in the UK starting in 2035.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Depends where you live. No ICE vehicles for sale in the UK starting in 2035.
Not necessarily. Shifting political winds are a universal constant, and a lot can change in 15 years. I presume also that the law doesn't prohibit used ICE car sales, opening a loophole for used ICE cars to enter the UK from elsewhere? Even if they UK does inhibit imports, as we've seen in Cuba necessity is the mother of invention when it comes to keeping classic cars running for decades.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts