Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and that's completely fine! I have seen a lot of people saying the Mach-E isn't a "real SUV" which is true to an extent. It sure isn't a traditional SUV. What it is, is a cheaper alternative to the higher end sporty "SUV's" showing up that cost double what a Mach-E goes for, to start. Its what people want these days. However, what does everyone here think about the Mach-E's level of utility? Is it enough? If its not enough, what should Ford come out with next to fill that void?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's fitting of the name plate. Old nameplates are being revived (Bronco) and with their current lineup I feel like for the most part all bases are covered. I think if someone wants utility they aren't looking for a BEV at this point so until battery costs are down and more regular availability it won't go any further than what it is. Tesla has a chance to scale much faster than the other automakers because they can get the batteries and that's the key.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely forgot about the new Bronco.

Something tells me that might some day get an electric powertrain. Sooner than that to test the waters might be a hybrid version. At this point I think Ford can go full tilt by skipping hybrid and going straight to electric.

For hardcore SUV guys, that will be the 'REAL' electric SUV to get from Ford.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've heard come compare the Mach-e's size to that of a Ford Escape (of which I own two). The current Escape (2013-present) is really better characterized as a crossover than a true SUV. From what I see of the Mach-e in all the YouTube videos, I'd say the same for it.

I'm very tempted to put down a deposit for a Mach-e (we'll be handing down one of our Escapes to a family member in the next year). My biggest question at this point is how low the seating is. I hate vehicle with low seats that you struggle to crawl down into and crawl up out of. I also like the better driving visibility of sitting higher. I've heard the Mach-e sits lower than some expected it to, but I don't know how low that really is. The seating in our Escapes is about as low as I'd want to go. And there's no stats out on ground clearance or even vehicle height that I can find. I've been trying to eyeball the roof height of the vehicle in the various pics and videos but it's so hard to tell. But I fear the seats may sit at least 2-3" lower than my Escape.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Height is 63 inches. Ground clearance is 5.7 inches (GT is 5.3 inches).
Ah, thank you. That's helpful.

That's about what I figured. By comparison, the Escape height is 66.3 and ground clearance 7.9. So the Mach-e is 3.3" shorter in peak height. The ground clearance is 2.2" shorter, but with the battery pack lining the floor it's hard to translate that to comparable seat height. I would assume the floor is thicker because of the battery pack, thus raising seat height.

I did read somewhere that Mach-e headroom was 40.5". Escape is nearly the same at 39.9".

But the shape of the 2 vehicles is different. Peak height on the Mach-e is near the front, right over the driver seat; whereas peak height of the Escape is a bit further back, just behind the front seat. I just went out and measured the height of my Escape above the driver seat and it appears to be more like 64" there, pretty close to the Mach-e. Maybe 1-2" shorter at the driver seat.

I assume the driver seat has power adjustments. I wonder how high the seat will go? Some have more range than others.

Where did you find those specs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There may be easier ways to get there, but do this: go to ford.com; scroll down to Meet the all-electric SUV with the soul of a Mustang; click on the arrow; Scroll down to Visit the media site; Click on the arrow; Scroll down to Tech Specs. It's a great source of data. Good luck finding it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was hoping for a "true" pony (ie coupe), but I understand the motivation and I'm OK with the crossover approach. Having been a dad of two with a 2000 vintage coupe, I understand why a coupe is such a hard sell to families. Ford had to put a lot into one basket, and that basket had to walk a fine line to try to keep everyone happy. Hopefully the compromises don't have the effect of alienating too many. Although I didn't like the hatchback styling much, I do have to say my first pony (1987) proved hugely versatile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts