Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM teased some upcoming EV's recently and one of them was a sporty looking SUV with proportions like the Mustang Mach-E. This image from the presentation shows that exact model on the left. Next to it is a C8 Corvette styled SUV.
Chevrolet-Electric-SUV-Mach-E-Rival.jpg

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty easy to render these days...

View attachment 3823
While true, there's a lot of intent behind it.
We also can't forget the new Ultiumn batteries and flexible platform that will underpin all (or most) of these. Sometime soon GM should be showing us real working concepts in full...

"Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick will all be launching new EVs starting this year. The next new Chevrolet EV will be a new version of the Bolt EV, launching in late 2020, followed by the 2022 Bolt EUV, launching Summer 2021. The Bolt EUV will be the first vehicle outside of the Cadillac brand to feature Super Cruise, the industry's first true hands-free driving technology for the highway, which GM will expand to 22 vehicles by 2023, including 10 by next year.

The Cruise Origin, a self-driving, electric shared vehicle, shown to the public in January 2020 in San Francisco, was the first product revealed using GM’s third generation EV platform and Ultium batteries. Next will be the Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV in April. Details about its launch will be shared then. The reveal of the Ultium-powered GMC HUMMER EV will follow on May 20. Production is expected to begin in Fall 2021 at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, GM’s first assembly plant 100 percent dedicated to EV production."

·
Registered
61 Posts
GM teased some upcoming EV's recently and one of them was a sporty looking SUV with proportions like the Mustang Mach-E. This image from the presentation shows that exact model on the left. Next to it is a C8 Corvette styled SUV.
View attachment 3821
Great to see GM is planning an EV CUV. To bad it won’t stop me from getting my MME. I guess we will see what new options are out there in 4 years. By then, I’m sure Ford will have my next EV ready — that is the EV Explorer!!!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great to see GM is planning an EV CUV. To bad it won’t stop me from getting my MME. I guess we will see what new options are out there in 4 years. By then, I’m sure Ford will have my next EV ready — that is the EV Explorer!!!!
I doubt many here will jump ship. What it will do is press Ford even harder to improvement the Mach-E. Things like more exciting color options, packages and other basic configuration stuff would be a start.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Here's the way I read the situation...

GMs got the marketing blitz going because they were caught flat footed:
They burned through their federal tax credits on a compliance vehicle that frankly... excited no one (Ford was actually on this path with the MME before the redesign). They're paying people to take them off the lot.
They've got no answer for the MME, ID.4, Ariya, Rivian, Cybertruck, etc, etc...
Pretty is as pretty does... Lots of buzz around the Ultium but has it translated into longer ranges for the Lyriq or the Hummer? No.

So what is it do they really have that's "real" other than a battery factory under construction in Ohio?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the way I read the situation...

GMs got the marketing blitz going because they were caught flat footed:
They burned through their federal tax credits on a compliance vehicle that frankly... excited no one (Ford was actually on this path with the MME before the redesign). They're paying people to take them off the lot.
They've got no answer for the MME, ID.4, Ariya, Rivian, Cybertruck, etc, etc...
Pretty is as pretty does... Lots of buzz around the Ultium but has it translated into longer ranges for the Lyriq or the Hummer? No.

So what is it do they really have that's "real" other than a battery factory under construction in Ohio?
100%

They did give a timeline via a recent press release. Its rare to see that if things aren't in motion enough behind the scenes.
It along with the battery and platform development are the only "real" things. But still not well detailed.

I guess it was a PR move to give the idea they haven't fallen behind.

The stock did move a good amount.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
100%

They did give a timeline via a recent press release. Its rare to see that if things aren't in motion enough behind the scenes.
It along with the battery and platform development are the only "real" things. But still not well detailed.

I guess it was a PR move to give the idea they haven't fallen behind.

The stock did move a good amount.
View attachment 3825
If I go back to when the stay at home order was issued in Michigan (23 March 20), GM has actually outpaced F (below). However, Ford was hit much harder because the pandemic coincided with their most important product launch (F150). I think GM has had a good run but F, given the F150 and the Bronco ramp (not including the MME since I suspect the profit margins are razor thin), has a lot more headroom in 2021 (my opinion only and not stock advice).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Adding to what is being planned "GM has designers working on several Corvette-brand concept vehicles that target a wider range of buyers, said the people, who asked not to be named because the plan has not been publicly unveiled. These seek to blend Corvette’s reputation for high-performance driving and rakish styling with creature comforts such as more interior room and storage, the people said."

Going back to the image in my OP, the Mach-E sized Chevy EV SUV does have Corvette-esque styling.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
While I think that GM has basically nothing more than the Bolt and a bunch of "paper launches".... As an investor, I do have worry beads for Ford.... How many of us would have picked the MME (or the ID.4 for that matter) over the MY without the Federal tax incentive? Anyone?

Given the 2 scenarios - Ford loses the Federal tax incentive (200K vehicles), or the incentives get extended beyond 200K vehicles and Ford is on equal footing with Tesla. The way I see it, Ford basically has 1 model year to reduce the BMC and production cost of the MME SIGNIFICANTLY... Plus, Tesla's not sitting still and Hyundai's coming for everyone. If F pops a good deal in 2021, I'm out.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
193 Posts
Not sure what happened in late July and early August but GM stock seems to have been doing better than Ford since then. Maybe the MME can change that.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Not sure what happened in late July and early August but GM stock seems to have been doing better than Ford since then. Maybe the MME can change that.
F150 and Bronco will change that. I doubt that Ford is making a significant profit on the MME. Certainly not the $10K they make per F150.... a good year for the F series trucks is ~1M sold. Ford's plan for the Mach E is 50,000 in the first year. The Bronco is a segment that Ford had been out of for decades and will add significantly to the bottom line.

When Tesla shipped ~500K cars in 2020, it was a big deal.... for BEVs. Toyota sold 430K RAV4's last year.... that's just 1 model in a very popular segment.

What the MME can change is the perception that Ford is old and tired.... that may drive additional interest in the stock.

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
E-Ray? Like Stingray?
Yeah, the name's also been rumored for an electric or hybrid C8 Corvette.

·
Registered
832 Posts
GM seems to want to build the Corvette name as a brand like Ford is with the Mustang.

Every year or so — maybe more often, I have trouble keeping track — a report will float the idea of making a Corvette SUV or crossover, or perhaps even making Corvette a standalone brand in the GM stable. A report this week suggests both are in the mix, as well as a Corvette-inspired electric car. Again: Please leave the Corvette alone.

The report originated from Bloomberg and quotes the usual anonymous people familiar with the matter. It sounds like GM might be serious this time!
General Motors is working on a strategy to build at least one new electric vehicle inspired by its Corvette sports car, potentially expanding the brand from a single performance model into a family of vehicles, people familiar with the matter said. If the plan is approved, the most likely model to emerge later this decade would be a marriage of a crossover and a sports car.
[...]
GM has designers working on several Corvette-brand concept vehicles that target a wider range of buyers, said the people, who asked not to be named because the plan has not been publicly unveiled. These seek to blend Corvette’s reputation for high-performance driving and rakish styling with creature comforts such as more interior room and storage, the people said.
A GM spokesman declined to comment.
Surely GM has a Corvette crossover ready to bring to market soon...wait... someone’s tapping me on my shoulder and telling me to keep reading.
A Corvette crossover could go on sale as soon as 2025 but probably after that, one of the people said.
Oh.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts